Generator...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tebpac

I have a Honda 1000 watt generator that we used with our Pop Up camper on occasion when boondocking.  We are now looking at getting a travel trailer / toy hauler.  Will the generator we have be enough or will I need to consider getting something bigger?

Todd

Will definitely need something bigger for an A/C and any other appliances. I recently saw a new TH that had a 7000 watt genny and it would handle all 3 A/C's at once. WOW!! Super nice

Hi Todd,  I'm afraid your question cannot be answered without knowing what items/appliances you want to run with the generator.  If it is a 1000 watt generator then, in theory, it will produce 1000 watts.  As long as you limit your use to 1000 watts or less, it is sufficient (ignoring start up power requirements and so forth).

For "occasional use while boondocking" a 1,000 watt generator could be just fine. Just don't try to use the air conditioner.

There are folks that boondock on battery power only, with no generator at all.

It will run your lights TV small appliances and the battery charger.    No AC. You need 3000watts minimum to run a ac

Thanks everyone!  I kind of figured that's what it would be.  When I purchased it long ago, I was only thinking of running our Pop Up on it.  Just the lights and the heater.  No AC.  It did fine with the heater (think it's 15000 BTU or more).  We've been using the generator for boondocking (which is what we love doing) because I have the "mysterious short" somewhere in the trailer that won't work with the battery hook up.  Anyways, at least I know that boondocking in the dead of Summer may not work without upgrading. 

Todd

We have a Honda 2000.  FWIW, it would not power the air condition in our trailer.  That said, if you could wire it directly to the AC and bypass the converter, it might do the job. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom