2017 QZ Rally - Reply Topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is John Meyer"s list of attendees.

Quartzsite 2017
1Jerry & Deb Garlowjerryg@debNM
2Larry & Mary Ann NussbaumerLarry NCO
3Paul & Ann StoughPaul & AnnIA
4Bill & Pam NashbillandpamOH
5Richard & Linda SharpRLSharpNY
6Dan McBride & Jennifer EverettFerFerAZ
7Ardra & Jerry FitzgeraldArdraNV
8John & Carol MyersTourmasterIA
9Mike & Wendy LawrenceWendyCO
10Dan & Marge WestutahclaimjumpersUT
11Len & Brenda NugentCactustwoAB
12Jeff & Sue CousinsJeffAZ
13Joe & Doreen CoteMore-GasMI
14Jo & Jim MolociJomoMI
15Steve & Betty AndersonRambler 28CA
16John & Connie NealJFNCA
17Larry & Billy  ???JourneyAZ
18Terry & Betty BrewerBetty BrewerAZ
19Lou SchneiderLouCA
20Ken & Sheila KuchKen & SheilaAZ
21Kevin & Pam StalnakerUTTransplantUT
22Larry & Loretta DoddTHEBigLarryOK
23Michael and Ellen SchwarzmrswarzWA
Jeannine & Dan WainwrightJeannine
Jim Stough (Paul's brother)

Some pictures taken yesterday(today we went to Castle Dome and the ghost town/mining museum).
The first one shows the  "Big Tent" really is big! The second is the line to the dump station at noon. Luckily we won't have to dump until after we leave. The third shot is of some scenery just behind our camping area.

Attachments

• IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 36
Seven Vehicles left at the sharp crack of  9 am led by Terry Brewer headed to "The ridge" for  our annual off road trip.  Our tail  gunner Larry Dodd had a CB radio so we knew we could keep most of the  people in a line.  Two of the vehicles were  very new to their  drivers and had never seen the size of some  of the rocks on the road like we found.  We managed a tight squeeze area with  no mishaps.  Did have a comment  from John that  he was glad he did not bring his pickup through that and he was a calm  passenger with Joe. (That is until he saw Jerry  pull a 3 wheel slide off road deal  and nearly go over! )

Big grins from Joe as well as Bill and his navigator Pam.  I  think they are now hooked on off road driving!  Larry is a seasoned off road driver who usually does sand but he liked the rocks today as a  different challenge.Wife  Billie did a bit of wandering  around to get perfect photos of  the desert.  Michael did  this run 2 years ago when  his rig was only 2 weeks old.  Now at  2 years old  his vehicle has had a make over!  Well equipped for all the fun challenges off roading can hold.  He offered a ride along  to Jo but  we  are  not convinced she is ready to purchase a  new Rubicon just yet!

Jerry and Ardra each drove 1/2 of the trail and their Grand Cherokee with air lift maneuvered through the rocks with  no problems.

Had a very short lunch overlooking a beautiful spot.  However  Loretta and I do not like wind nor  cold and we  had  both all  day. But  no damage, no flat tires, no bugs.  Back at  camp by 2:00.  More time for  big tent shopping.

Sadly the happy hour was blown  out with cold winds and we did not get to retell our off road stories today!

Great group.  Maybe  photos to  follow!  Stay tuned.

The  Group on off road run today visited the  Stone  Cabin at  10:30 am. 

Attachments

• Stone Cabin 2017.jpg
    Stone Cabin 2017.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 71
Here are a  few shots of the fun  had by all at  RVForum Off road ride January 27, 2017. 

Also  included is a shot of Loretta on a  10:100!  tee hee there are no secrets!

Attachments

• IMG_2419.JPG
    IMG_2419.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2428.JPG
    IMG_2428.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2429.JPG
    IMG_2429.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2432.JPG
    IMG_2432.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2446.JPG
    IMG_2446.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 47
Don't believe Betty - Hapoy Hour DID take place, in the wind. You can't stop Forumites from chatting.

Another glorious Quartzsite Desert Day!  But  I am tired as I awoke early to hubby exclaiming " Oh my gosh it is 8:52 am !"  Seemed curious to me as it was  completely dark outside.  No signs of light creeping in behind any shade.  I did not feel as if I had enough sleep for the night.  But he was clearly alarmed as he had a  9:00 breakfast date with  Jeff and John.  (later Lou)

Seems his alarm went crazy with the use and non use of inverter to power the correct time.  The back up battery power to his alarm clock  must have failed as MY Clock  said it was 4:30 am!  Yep, it was 4:30 am.  Not  my time to arise!  But I was awakened and may not have  gone to sleep restfully again.  Gotta love boon docking!

So he went sound asleep again and awoke well in time for his breakfast with the "boys." 

I joined the group walk at  10 am  and we took our trash to the  bins.  This is a  fun filled rally with a variety of events!  Trashy  people are pictured! And our route.  Not pictured is the  huge Jack rabbit that quickly  pranced across our trail and  did not allow time for a photo.

Jerry took  advantage of a pit toilet along the way but  the group did not  wait for him,  knowing he can walk fast enough  to catch up.  Well indeed he did catch up as he hitch hiked and got a ride with a fellow in a Yellow Polaris.  He does not get full credit  for the walk!

Attachments

• IMG_2448.JPG
    IMG_2448.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2450.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 45
Promptly and I mean PROMPTLY  at 2 pm our potluck  began!  We invited the  new first time visitors to our Quartzsite  RVForum rally to go through potluck  line first. The newbies appreciated this  prompt start and opportunity to  go first.  However it did not much matter just how early you got to get in line as the wind was brisk and cooled food from table to  chair.  This did not  stop  me from a second trip.  I am always amazed how our potluck works with no planning.  We have just the right amount of main dishes , sides and desserts!  Yum and Yum.

I snagged a recipe for  Carol's chicken Tetrazinni .    Other recipes may be a secret.  I did  my usual  Crispy  cabbage salad  but I did forget to add in the toasted sesame seeds. DUH.  See recipes in RVForum Library for past hit recipes.
Make a request here and perhaps the chef will share the secret!

Attachments

• IMG_2458.JPG
    IMG_2458.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2461.JPG
    IMG_2461.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2462.JPG
    IMG_2462.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 56
To give you an idea of  just how meaningful this RVForum Framily thing is, let me share  with you  that I've had phone calls  from
Chris and Mimi Pennings requesting reports and sending well wishes to our group. Terry exchanged emails with Jim and Pat Dick who were among the original attendees  in 1996 or so and  they vividly recall the "Transmission hill."  Jim and Tarry Johnson wished they could be here but had some  body parts to fix this  winter!  We miss everyone and you will forever be in our Quartzsite memories.  No one lost their  chairs or tables this year. (That I  know of)

To make our Rally MOST SPECIAL , Don and Peg Miller (who no longer  have a motorhome) showed up after a 3.5 hour drive from Camp Verde, AZ    with  blackberry pie.  Lorna Reiter lost dear husband Ned last spring but made  the  journey  solo from Spring Branch, Texas (near San Antonio) to  visit the RVForum Potluck group today.  She  may  win the award for those  coming the farthest to  our  gathering. 

Photos:
Mike Lawrence jumped in to accompany Lorna in the Framily photo.  None of us are ever alone!  Don and Peg are legends in love of this FVForum. Thank so  much to our special visitors.

Yep this group is indeed FRAMILY, an acronym coined to  combine friends and family.  And to think we all met on the internet!  Crazy! 

Attachments

• IMG_2465.JPG
    IMG_2465.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 60
Thanks to everyone who joined in the potluck. We had plenty of tables and lots and lots of yummy food. Visiting continued until after dark. I didn't see any unhappy folks !!

ok Betty  again.

Thank you to those who filled the white envelopes I  passed around at Happy Hour.  This Quartzsite  Rally has no fee but we do set January as the time to assess the value the RVForum  has been to you.

Did you get advice that saved you a service call?. Did you get advice that saved you money on a bogus  thing to join?  Did you get  advice on a campground  to attend ?  Did you get advice on a route from  PA to CA?  Did you  make a new friend?  Did you attend a rally and enjoy yourself?  Do you enjoy a continuing  contact with  RV like minded folks? Did you enjoy an off road adventure? Did you enjoy the potluck?  These are  things  enjoyed  by most with our RVForum and simply ask you consider making  a contribution to the running of the RVForum,  a privately owned entity. 

I'm happy to report lots of white envelopes filled with green were returned. Thank you.  Plus I am happy  the DONATE button on the RVForum Home  page line with a DONATE button was discovered so you can use  pay pal or your credit card to support our RVForum!

I am among the fortunate who have been members of RVForum for a long time and really want our  new guests to have the opportunity to  learn as much about RV lifestyle  as I have and to make as  many friends!  The true test of the Quartzsite experience is do you return? 

I will compose a collage of 2017 Q attendees and post it in the near future.  I will  not include the photo of me that Lou took as I'm certain  I  really look 15 years younger than the photo reveals! 

I'm sure it was the fault of the photographer, Betty..  My photography skills suck, which makes it a good thing I work in radio and not TV.

I had to run across the highway and dump my tanks before the dump station closed for the night, and by the time I got back most of the group had dispersed.  It was good to see Lorna, even though it was only briefly.

Wonderful to see Lorna, Don and Peg looking exactly as I remember them from more than ten years ago!  I need to know how they accomplish that youthful look!  ;D  Count us among those who treasure memories of Quartzsite gatherings.  I'm so happy the tradition continues and am especially happy to see all the new faces who will continue to discover and enjoy the hidden beauties of the desert.  Quartzsite is truly a very special place!  As always, I really appreciate Betty's efforts to include all of us reluctant stay-at-homes.  :D

Thanks for the updates and pix here, Betty. Though it's not the same as being there, it at least keeps us from feeling completely left out when unable to be there, and lets us know what's happening.

Lou Schneider said:
I'm sure it was the fault of the photographer, Betty.. 

You are too kind!  The  photo was framed perfectly,  the  lighting just right, the focus sharp and clear and I'm still not using that photo!  Besides Terry was not in the photo so we will find another  photo and use it for the group collage.

We  arrived  back  home in  Yuma this afternoon and I opened the white envelopes.  WOW you  guys were very generous this year.  It is clear the RVForum has great value to the members.  In addition the DONATE button was activated with additional  generous donations!

It's going to  be a very good year!

Thank you Betty, Wendy and the rest of the crew for hosting another successful Quartzsite rally!

Although I missed Friday's 4wd trip, I got my off-road fix this morning.  I headed east on I-10 to the Gold Nugget Rd. exit, then instead of going south towards the Stone Cabin I followed the old paved road east through the pass.

Along the way I came across the road to the communications site at the top of the mountain and the gate was open!  So I went up, it's a well maintained but very steep road that zig-zags up the mountain face.  The last 1/4 mile is so steep they laid down a corrugated concrete roadbed to increase traction.

From the top I took some photos of Stone Cabin and the trails running off to the next ridge.  I'll post them tonight when I have wifi at my sister's house.

After descending from the mountaintop (low gear, low range!) I continued east to the end of the old pavement.  From there it became a trail that meandered through cactus and cholla to the Brenda exit.  It was a fun ride, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything larger than my Bronco II.  It's more of a quad trail, at the other end I met up with a quad group taking a break in a creek bed gravel bar.  They seemed surprised to see me but I was able to back up a little bit and let them by.

Lou Schneider said:
Thank you Betty, Wendy and the rest of the crew for hosting another successful Quartzsite rally!

I second this but I would add Jeff for being the "digital" host - setting up this thread and tracking attendees.

ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom