Lap Belts and Car Seats Question (Rental)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for compiling your findings; It will be a data point for others in the future.

I'm having a tough time understanding that the seats you're thinking of purchasing will offer the additional protection/restraint you're looking for, given that they'll only have one anchor (either shared, or one each). Also, the real possibility (that you've confirmed) that a dinette seat wouldn't survive an impact.

Looks like you have a tough decision, and it's good to see you doing the research. Your concern for the safety of your family is to be commended. I recall that, when I researched the issue of a Child Restraint Seat (aka car seat) for a grandchild in our class A, I possibly went overboard with ensuring it was well secured.

Thanks again for sharing.

Tom said:
Looking forward to reading the info you've been able to gather. Understand not wanting to change the plan and stick with a class C.

I always joked that it rains 366 days a year in Wales, then I met my new neighbor, a Dutchman; He said it rains 9 days a week in Holland, and I quit complaining (or bragging)  ;D

Rain.  I remember rain.  Its where water falls from the sky, isn't it?  We don't get that stuff here in Southern California.  Too bad, I hear it is a wonder at putting out brush fires.

Aye  Carl, Northern California could use some of  that stuff too.

This is a great thread for me. We are having the same issues deciding on car seats. Would be interesting to know which option the OP decided on.

We have a C25 from El Monte and they have advised that the only belts are lap belts on the 'dinette' seats. After lots of research I came to the conclusion that RV'ing is pretty safe based on the fact that you are, most of the time, going to be in the bigger vehicle. All that said, I still want my 7 & 3 year old strapped in securely and also be able to rest if they wish. My idea was to purchase two high back boosters from Walmart, high backs because my biggest concern was that the dinette seats do not have headrests and even in the smallest collision I would like to think their heads would be supported from flying backwards, and also to give them the option of sleeping/resting their heads if they want to.

So my questions/thoughts are:

1. Def going to get 2 highback boosters for comfort and added neck and head protection.
2. The boosters can be secured with just the lap belt OR a safety harness that is built into the seat and the lap belt - given that the seats are not going to be tethered/anchored to the back of the dinette seats then in the case of a collision they will still get flung forward SO which seems safer?? The high back booster with the lap belt or the high back booster with the lap belt and built in harness?
3. I was intrigued about the comment about having the table set up as a bed to prevent heads hitting the table - is that safe?? I am thinking have the table set up but with blankets and pillows on top of it?
4. Basically I am lost having never stepped foot in this vehicle! Any insight on what I have said would be much appreciated!
5. I know us Brits are over cautious and love to follow the rules......

Thank you!

Modern car seats are designed to use a center mounted support.. Most cars made this century (All I think by law) have a device to hold this "Latch" and secure the top of the seat.

What they don't tell you less you insist:

Older cars did not have this top mounted latch... So you had to add it.. Well they still make the add-on latch..

That said.. On most RV's the couch is the "Back Seat" and ... It's not secured to the floor, it just sits there like the one in your Sticks and bricks.. With a child seat the seat belt is floor anchored and in turn the SEAT anchors the couch, But alas, that's how it is done.

Considering the ages of your children, I suspect they ride in forward facing child seats.

I'm not sure how much added protection is given by that top latch, but you could easily add it.  Just write your car seat (the one you have now) Manufacturer for information.

Thank you John. I am totally confused now  :'( My fault, not yours!

So, you are saying that there is no point in having a car seat because they are just sat on top of the couch which is not anchored down in any way shape or form?

I will be purchasing Car Seats from Walmart to use in the US, and they will be forward facing.

I just don't know if I should get a harnessed one https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-High-Back-Booster-Car-Seat-Windmill/22151874

or a lap belt only one? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Big-Kid-Sport-High-Back-Booster-Seat-Goody-Two-Tones/52502361

Just noticed that the harnessed one is latch supported to......so for the price that seems the best option?

https://www.elmonterv.com/rent/rv-details/cabover-style-c25-rv/

Shows the seats in dinette with lap style belts. Looks like the cushions will come off but the dinette itself looks fixed.  May be others on forum with similar style of rv who can  advise.

Good luck.

jackiemac said:
https://www.elmonterv.com/rent/rv-details/cabover-style-c25-rv/

Shows the seats in dinette with lap style belts. Looks like the cushions will come off but the dinette itself looks fixed.  May be others on forum with similar style of rv who can  advise.

Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to do that! The whole area becomes a bed so I am presuming the table bit can be taken away too? Is that what you meant?

If the whole thing becomes a bed, the it is most likely the cushioned seat backs are used as part of the bed's mattress. i.e. They are not fixed in place. Whether or not you could attach something to the 'wall' behind the cushions is another question. Most interior walls are not very solid, they are usually hollow and made using very thin plywood.

The table has to be removable if that spot makes up into a bed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom