Winnie a/c

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abbie56

If you own a class A gas motor home, please give feedback regarding your a/c. Is it quiet? Efficient? Repair issues? We are in the market to make a purchase. Just trying to do our homework. Thanks!

That is a broad question and there isn't one answer.  It depends on several factors - full body paint, mostly white with decals, dark body paint, number of slides, overall length, roof air, basement air, etc., etc.  If you have a particular model in mind, we can get more specific.

We are looking at a Winnebago Adventurer or Suncruiser, specifically the model 38Q. We are open to purchasing new or used. Is the a/c in the new units quiet?

We have Adventurer/Suncruiser owners here, hopefully they will chime in with their opinions.  There have been reports of some noisy roof airs - I think they might have been the low profile models that came out in the last few years.  There was a retrofit fan that helped somewhat.

However, the annoyance level of noise will vary among people, the best way for you to evaluate is to sit in some units with both roof airs running.

Many of the older Winnebago Class A's used a packaged AC/heat pump installed aft in a bay on the passenger side, this is commonly called basement air.  We have basement air and find the rumbling noise good for sleeping - just like a white noise machine.  The noise in the salon/galley with the basement air running is very similar to a house - you hear the whoosh of air moving but that's all.  I actually prefer basement air over roof airs.

Our coach is a 2011 and it has three 15000 BTU roof-air/heat pump units. The 42QD is still a production model and, to my knowledge, Winnie hasn't changed anything about the A/C system on the new ones. When all three AC units are set to high-cool, it sounds like a freight train is driving past us. The good news is, they cool the coach very quickly - faster than I've ever seen in any other coach. Once the coach is cool, we'll turn them to low-cool, and maybe turn a zone off, which really quiets them down.

If I had to choose between an AC system that's noisy but cools well, or one that's quieter but doesn't cool well, I'll take the noise. I guess they just haven't figured out how to make the process any quieter.

Kev

The sad fact is that MH air conditioners are usually located within about six feet of your ears. The dual fan must extract heat from the condensor while blowing (hard) across the evaporator to cool the air circulating through the MH, all the while the compressor is compressing a large volume of gas inti liquid state to send to the evaporator for cooling. It's a noisy process and quiet is not a byproduct unless efficiency is reduced in the process.

As John noted, the components may be located below the floor and circulated to the ceiling ducts. This reduces the apparent noise, but also the cooling efficiency. TANSTAAFL ! (Thats part of the reason he installed a third ac overhead I'm sure.)

Ernie

I've got  2016 Suncruiser 38Q.  I'd gladly put up with any noise level if I could cool my unit on a hot day.  High 80's or low 90's over come the ability of my AC's to cool.  One month old rig and the dealer checked and said it's operating within specs.  Yeah, right!

You probably have two roof air conditioners,  maybe dark full body paint  (?) And two or three slides. Two roof air units isn't enough BTU to overcome your heat gain during a hot day.  You could perhaps add a third roof AC (ideal situation) or cool the RV down as much as possible during the night and minimize your heat gain by keeping the shades down and using bubble type heat shield in the windshield.  Sorry, that's the way Winnie designed your unit.

I have a basement heatpump (two tons of AC) and added a roof air (one more ton) to make our coach comfy in 100 degrees of ambient temps.

Back
Top Bottom