Help me get my scooter up on this ramp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kitty---ya need an electric lift installed onto your existing carrier like the ones on the front of the travel trailers(12V)--I'm sure they will extend and retract 18" or more--a manual lift is not in your liking and any welding/fabrication shop can do that--best o luck--you're not by far the only person on this earth with limited mobility 

nibroc said:
kitty---ya need an electric lift installed onto your existing carrier

Ah, yes.
There's that slight difference between "need" and "I-don't-have-a-first-born-to-trade-for-the-amount-they-charge-for-that", though.  ;D

Two questions I have is: 1-How long is the fairing on the scooter going to last with the ratchet strap wrapped around it? 2-How long will that ladder stay attached to the sidewall of the motorhome while holding the scooter?

kdbgoat said:
Two questions I have is: 1-How long is the fairing on the scooter going to last with the ratchet strap wrapped around it? 2-How long will that ladder stay attached to the sidewall of the motorhome while holding the scooter?

X2

kdbgoat said:

Scooter's already held together with duct tape  ;D. And the front of it seems to be fine. I'm sure the ladder will be fine, too - thing only weighs 125 pounds.

The scooter may weigh only 125#, but the forces it exerts on the ladder bouncing down the road is a lot more.

herekittykitty said:
Scooter's already held together with duct tape  ;D. And the front of it seems to be fine. I'm sure the ladder will be fine, too - thing only weighs 125 pounds.

IF you were interested in securing the scooter in a little more robust fashion, and IF you do visit a machine shop you might as for the cost to
1) Install a horizontal rail going between the 2 frame rails just aft of the coach and just forward of the carrier rail.
2) Upon the new horizontal rail install a vertical post positioned about midship of the scooter.
3) Using a good padding material, pad the contact area of the post. That contact area would be where the scooter contacts the post.

Now with this new post it allow you to secure the scooter directly to the post with one strap. I would do away with any and all bungee cords that are used on the wheels and substitute with ratchet straps.

the challenge to this is finding the sweet spot on the scooter that would withstand the forces of being strapped to the post. This takes away any attachment points from equipment that isn't designed to hold up against these kind of forces. Also this may also allow you to have that chin knocker removed and maybe help heal some bruises  ;D.

The shop that was referred to is capable of doing this also.

Good luck.

Corky

The shop should be fully capable of evaluating all these things for you and making suggestions on the best and most cost effective way to get tie down points firmly attached to the coach or carrier.  I believe you will be amazed at what a competent welder can create for you!!

When we had a side ramp toy hauler, we would pull up close to a curb and lower the ramp door to the curb.  The 6" difference made loading the motorcycle much easier.  It may not work in your situation but if you could the back the rear bumper of your motorhome over a sidewalk and not crush the bottom of the carrier, you might be able to run the bike onto the sidewalk and then onto the ramp with minimal effort. 

TonyDtorch said:
good news... :)

please be careful riding it.

Too late! Have already wrecked one leg and scarred the other, and an arm. But it's my only transportation, so it is what it is.
It's quite fine on a sunny day, on level ground.
I think I've finally learned all my "lessons" about how (not) to ride a scooter.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom