Normal, IL Mini-Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jagnweiner

ScottyDL and I have been talking about getting together sometime for the last year or two.  He and his family live near Normal, IL, about two hours from us and our daughter attends Illinois State University in Normal, so we make quite a few trips down there each year.  We finally made it happen this weekend.  We were moving the girl into her apartment for her junior year and decided to make a weekend out of it by taking the RV down to Comlara county park, just north of Normal.

Scott, his wife Heather and their three boys came out to the campsite Saturday evening and spent some time sitting with us around the campfire.  (no matter where I moved the smoke followed me)  They are one of the nicest families I've ever met.  The wives hit it off immediately and were chatting like old friends within minutes.  We really had a great time.

I know it didn't really happen unless a photo is posted.  ;)  I'm hoping Scott will post a photo, as he was the official photographer.  It was after dark before we remembered to take a photo, so we had to go inside the coach for the group photo.  Scott did a masterful job of using the top of the driver's seat for a tripod, shimming the camera to level using old travel brochures from our east coast trip and taking a time delay photo.

Too bad it wasn't a week or so ago; We passed near Scott and Heather's place on the freeway, although we hadn't planned on stopping. With a little planning, we could have had a larger mini rally.

Tom said:
Too bad it wasn't a week or so ago; We passed near Scott and Heather's place on the freeway, although we hadn't planned on stopping. With a little planning, we could have had a larger mini rally.

:)  Yes, he mentioned that.  He said you usually pass through the area once or twice a year.  We are right near the intersection of I-80 and I-74, just east of the Quad Cities.  We had a nice dinner with Marty (SargeW) and Diane on their way east earlier this summer.  Give us a shout if you're passing by.

Give us a shout if you're passing by.

OK thanks Scott. This time through would have probably been a bit tough; We were trying to "escape" the MidWest humidity after a month or so visiting kids and grandkids in OH, on our way to our place in WY. I spent the month sweating from head to foot 24 hours a day, and Chris was in a cast after just falling and breaking a tibia. Next trip is around Christmas, but we try to stay south that time of year.

I feel your pain.  The humidity has been oppressive and relentless in the Midwest this summer.  On days with a high of 80 we should be able to open the windows and turn the AC off, but it's just been too dang humid.  Of course we'll get no sympathy from Texans, et al.

Photos!  ;D

We had an equally great time meeting, although a brief one.  Sounds like we could perhaps add a couple to our number the next time around!  Staff member Jeff also comes through the area periodically to visit family in Peoria, IL.  There are two nice campgrounds within 10 minutes of my house, one private (an old KOA that was re-opened and refurbished, complete with A-frame house) and a county campground (Comlara Park) where we met.

It was nearly dark by the time we arrived, so the photo was taken inside Scott's (the other Scott's) 2000 Itasca MH after we got the grand tour.  My youngest son (the one currently sporting a broken arm / cast), while messing with light switches like all boys do, discovered that the Itasca has some courtesy lights along the kitchen floorboard that were previously undiscovered.  :)

Attachments

• DSC08465.JPG
    DSC08465.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC08466.JPG
    DSC08466.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC08467.JPG
    DSC08467.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for the photos Scott. Great to see everyone.

The middle photo is our old beagle Greta trying to hide a rawhide bone she had just found. She wedged it in the couch and us using her snout to push imaginary dirt over it.

Great photos Scott. You were right, the group shot was perfect on the first take.

She wedged it in the couch and us using her snout to push imaginary dirt over it.

Our two cockapoos do the same thing  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom