Retrofitting an electric fireplace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifercks

Has anyone added an electric fireplace to your RV?

We are thinking of converting the cabinet under our wall-mount television. It's the perfect size and also not very useful as a cabinet.

Our primary purpose is just to take the morning chill out of the air, as we are seasonal campers in the mountains. But the ambiance would be nice, too.

If you have tackled this project, I would love any advice and also whether you're glad you did it or wish you hadn't.

I took out the swivel barrel chair behind the passengers seat and added a freestanding. Just right for taking the chill off and in Florida it keeps the RV just right. We ran a separate [power supply to it from a dedicated breaker and ran a small  duct from the heating ducts in the compartments to the fireplace so when the RV heater comes on it also dumps air to the fireplace.

Here's a pic of what I did.

I pulled our huge old 300 lb. tv out of the existing tv cabinet,  removed the small cupboard below it,  I installed a 26" recessed fireplace in the hole and put a swivel mount 12 volt LED above it, then I put a shelf inside with our printer and router on it.

it looks great,  and is wonderful for taking the chill off in the mornings with a flick of a switch......we love it.

Attachments

• 7C2AC5CF-A265-44DA-A92A-AFD9FE4C0CFB.JPG
    7C2AC5CF-A265-44DA-A92A-AFD9FE4C0CFB.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 104
thenomad said:
I see this a lot in motor homes but what about it a tt?

I've seen many of the new TTs and 5ers that have them built in.

you can also go down to Harbor Freight and get a free standing one for about $60.  That's what we had for about 4 years and it was ok.

that barking dust mop ? 

he's so dumb..... he'd just think you were just petting him instead of putting out the fire.  8)

TonyDtorch said:
Here's a pic of what I did.

I pulled our huge old 300 lb. tv out of the existing tv cabinet,  removed the small cupboard below it,  I installed a 26" recessed fireplace in the hole and put a swivel mount 12 volt LED above it, then I put a shelf inside with our printer and router on it.

it looks great,  and is wonderful for taking the chill off in the mornings with a flick of a switch......we love it.
We have a tv cabinet right inside the door. Was wondering if we could use that since I will be mounting a wall bracket for the tv.

Rene T said:
Tony, hope you keep the fur baby away from it. He/she may catch fire. It's pretty close in that picture.  ;D ;)

Bob, the Cat.. likes to lay in front of our free standing wood stove at the house.. so he curls up in front of the electric fireplace in the RV.. as if it was the Real Deal.

Kind of a "Kodak Moment" at times.

Joe

I just added one in my Flagstaff 26RLWS, removed a couple of doors below the Tv which were screwed shut behind which was a subwoofer box, moved the center stile over, mounted the speaker from the subwoofer to a 1/4" plywood panel covered with speaker cloth. I installed a 20Amp GFI receptacle and one of those plastic cord grommet rings which the cord from the fireplace comes out thru. The GFI is wired into an exterior docking port that I installed into the side of the trailer. This allows for an additional 20 amps to run the fireplace or other appliances. As for the fireplace, I looked all over for an infrared to fit the space. I only had 5"" depth and most infrareds were to big. I ended up with a remote control unit measuring 16"x 18" x 4" which gives adequate clearances. We'll try adding a link to photobucket with pics.

http://s784.photobucket.com/user/woodtel/embed/slideshow/Flagstaff%2026RLWS%20%20fireplace

Back
Top Bottom