2003 itasca horizon 36ld rear bushing replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viqueenfan

Hello  we just  bought our rv earlier this summer  now we're told the rear bushings are shot  is this something that we can do or is it shop time?  Thanks for any assistance  Laura

Who told you the bushings needed to be replaced?  The RV dealer? Who made your chassis?  Freightliner?  I think you are a rear diesel, but not sure.  Do you have maintenance records?  Have you had the chassis serviced?

We were coming back from vacation  could not get over 45 mph  called freightliner customer service who got us to a shop to diagnose problem was a sensor but they just cleared the code because they did not have the part and we made it 179 miles back home.  We replaced the sensor, but the paperwork they gave us noted that the rear suspension bushings are no good.  They had the bushings but didn't discuss replacing as they wanted us to leave the rv there but we were 179 miles from home.  Wondering if anyone has replaced themselves and could offer guidance.  We bought the rv end of May for 60,000 and so far have replaced  water hoses in kitchen slide, hwh Jacks did not fully retract (900 shop biĺl) more nickel and dime items but so far another $2,000 in assorted costs so we are trying to do what we can to keep costs down.
Now that kids are on their own, we are back in an RV (previously had a 76 23 ' Minnie Winnie) and are happy to be mobile again ☺

Bought on consignment  no records as previous owner is deceased  dealer not that much help as when we called about the leveling Jacks not working  were told we bought "as is" although not shown how to work during our walk through -at least we know they now work and it's better than putting 2 x6's down

It is a freightliner chassis  will call them later today

Average cost just to look at it locally is $200 just to see what is exactly the issue

Welcome to our world where oil changes and routine chassis service costs hundreds of dollars  :D.  Be prepared to spend more time and money while you get the Horizon shipshape.  Call the Freightliner dealer that said you had bad 'bushings' and ask exactly what they are referring to. 

Servicing a heavy chassis like you have is more difficult than working on a car.  The engine probably uses 20-25 quarts of oil. the axles probably have 20 quarts of gear oil, there's an air dryer with replaceable element to keep the air moisture free for the brakes, the transmission is most likely an Allison 3000 which uses ~20 quarts of fluid, the air cleaner is the size of a small trash can, etc.

Since you have no maintenance records, assume all routine maintenance needs to be performed - this means a complete chassis service with all filters and fluids replaced.  If the Allison transmission fluid hasn't been changed to a synthetic fluid, you should have that done as well.

Your air bags (if not previously replaced) might be cracked and need replacing (there are four of them.)  You can get a good idea of the integrity of the air system by seeing how long it takes your air pressure to leak down after shutting the engine off.  A fully 'tight' air system will retain air pressure over 100 pounds (or so) for a day or two.

Couple of tips.... If possible, use a Freightliner Oasis dealer for your chassis service.  They are identified as being 'motorhome friendly' - in other words, they are used to servicing motorhomes and not just heavy trucks like a non-Oasis dealer.

Join the Freightliner Owner's Chassis Club and receive 10% off parts when serviced by a Freightliner dealer. Here's some maintenance tips from Freightliner and here's the 'bible' of service required at mileage intervals.

Not sure exactly what the rear bushings are, because I haven't poked around the rear much.  I replaced the front anti-sway bar bushings myself on mine.  It was a pretty easy job, although I recommend using lots of penetrating oil on the bolts first.  I was going to do my shocks myself and ordered the new shocks, but once I started to tear into it, I realized I was going to need an impact wrench and large sockets, so I took it to a friend who is a car dealer and his guys did it.

Thanks  we contacted the shop that did the work on our Jacks  they are going to look at it and give us an estimate  on cost to replace bushings 
Even with the repairs we are okay with it at  least we know it's been done and will be ready for a Yellowstone trip next summer

Have done all of the fluid changes ourselves

We've got 38,000 miles on it

Back
Top Bottom