Warning about Ransomware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... it had the evidence including the IP address of the originator of the email.

Unfortunately, like email addresses, IP addresses can be spoofed.

The lady I talk with simply referred me to the IC3.gov website where you can fill out a report online.

The only time I tried filling that out, I gave up when it asked to show financial loss.

I believe credit card companies have factored in a certain percentage of fraud as a cost of doing business ...

Yep, they have a large slush fund for fraudulent charges.

SeilerBird said:
I try not to use Paypal unless there is no other options. I have been scammed by Paypal twice.

I have never had a problem with PayPal, and have used it quite a bit. I'm like Corky, I don't use links, I type and go direct to site.

Coincidence of all coincidences... after my post about 90 minutes ago, I just checked my e-mail and Walmart.com send me a message this morning that my account was possibly hacked and they changed my password as a preventative measure.  The Walmart e-mail gave me instructions to reset the password again myself, rather than providing any attachments or direct links.  I posted that example below.  Most companies will operate in this way now, if they have any information to share with you about an order, account problems, etc.

HueyPilotVN said:
This reminds me of an incident a few years ago when my Credit Card number was used to purchase about $3,000.00 in merchandise and the police would not even take a report because they said that the credit card companies would not prosecute and it was a waste of their time even though the perpetrator was on camera at Sears.

This does seem odd, as I know agencies in my area will gladly arrest/charge people caught in the act of committing credit card fraud or theft... even if the charges are refunded.  But I suppose it depends on your local agency resources and how many violent crimes that are also trying to solve (which will generally rank higher on the priority list than property/financial crimes).  Don't worry, I hate crooks too.  And so do police officers and investigators, who unfortunately now have volumes of limitations and restrictions on their enforcement activities in modern society.

Corky said:
Hope you recover your files, send the the crook to jail.

Sadly, this likely will not happen... but it's a nice thought!

Attachments

• wm-email.JPG
    wm-email.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 46
Back in the early '80's someone stole a van from my driveway. As soon as I discovered that it was missing I went on a discovery mission throughout my neighborhood, just for the fun of it. I found the van about 8 blocks away in the back lot of a supermarket. So I went back home (pre cell phone era) and called the coppers. They showed up, and not very stealthy either, as I communicated to dispatch that I was camouflaged and ready to spring into action as soon as backup arrived  ::). Two patrol car, one detective, and not one of them interested in any prints that may have been left behind by the thieving bas---ds. Man was I bummed. I was already to observe all of the sleuthing techniques in action that I had seen for so many years watching Colombo. 

I guess the point is --- nobody cares :-[

Corky

Corky said:
I guess the point is --- nobody cares :-[

They care, it is just a matter of prioritization.  With auto thefts, unless you can prove an intent to permanently deprive, like stealing parts or changing the VIN#, it will be handled like a "Joyriding" case.  You get the car back, they close the case. 

With Credit cards, they do build in a certain amount for expected losses. What they have gotten better at is catching unusual activity on credit card accounts. I have been called numerous times  as we have traveled around the country if they see a charge that seems unusual.  A common one for thieves is to steal a CC number, then run a small charge on it to see if it goes through.  Then if it does they hit it with a big charge.  That is when I get called.  Sometimes they stop a legitimate charge though. Like filling the RV at a truck stop. That can be a bit frustrating.

I am expecting a call later today if Ryan ever gets here with my new A/C.

Have had one bank call twice, E-mail once and text twice on a tank of gas... I confirmed every time  (NOTE: all contacts were via known paths so I was sure they were legit) The first call I was still standing at the register!!!!!!!

Have also had 'em call when it was not legit.  For example someone tried to use my Credit Union account to buy olike $500 worth of stuff (Charge denied even before they called to confirm)  I run "Zero balance checking" so that account (A debit card) only had money in it for a couple of days... There was only about 5.00 in the account when the scammers tried to empty it... They goofed.

True story: Co-worker got the call from her Credit card company.. So when UPS delivered,  The "helper" took the packages to the door.
The suspect signed for the goods and the UPS Trainee explained that she had a real job, She was just playing UPS trainee.. her real job was Michigan State Police Trooper and you have the right (Of course his signature was the evidence that convicted him so it was a bit late for him to do anything other than name his accompliace (Brother) who copied her credit card info when she rented a car)

More credit card theft stories should end that way.

This would be a good time to plug the habit of making a full disk backup to an external disk once a month, or even more often.

If you had made a full disk backup you would not have lost much.  Restoring from a backup would have overwritten the cryptolocker or whatever and had you back in business in less time than it took to buy a new computer.

External disks can be found in a varitey of sizes and styles for not a lot of money and the software that does the backup is free in most cases.  I use a disk dock I bought for $19 and standard SATA disk drives that mount into the dock.

I use two most of the time.  ToDo Backup and Clonezilla.  Both are free at www.majorgeeks.com.  ToDo is more user friendly while Clonezilla is faster but requires a little knowledge of Linux and PC file systems and commands.  I use Clonezilla to install a pre-licensed images on dozens of computers a month at my volunteer job.  It's very reliable.

I agree.  That was the main reason I posted about the ransomware incident.

Wish I had a redo button.  I do have several external hard drives.  Sometimes we just get lazy and complacent.

I am getting most of the old files back by doing a selective copy of files from other computers and external hard drives.

We keep an external hard drive plugged in most of the time.  Would the Ransomware contaminate the files in the hard drive if it were running at the time?  We're MAC users and don't have any virus software.  Been thinking it's about time to spend a few dollars.  Suggestions for MAC. 

Sounds like the safe approach is to not keep the external drive plugged in and only update periodically.  For example, when the DW downloads  500+ pix.   

I also installed Malwarebytes AntiRansomware from Major geeks on my computers!
And the clever sons of B's try all the time to get in through my email. had one this morning in Spanish language except the, to: Me; From Me in English. Still trying to figure out how they did that!!!  :mad: :mad: I couldn't Block it, had to delete it!

Never tried this on a PC, but before opening an email that looks suspicious, I place the cursor over the senders name and am able to see what the actual email addy is.  If there's a disconnect or I'm not sure why I'm getting the email, I just delete it. 

That's a good test for links but not for email addresses.  It's very simple to make an email look like it came from another email address but unfortunately there is no foolproof way to spot them.

Fortunately I use Chromebook and Gmail. You can't get hurt by any email with that combination. I open up the occasional desperate attempt to break into my computer and laugh.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom