Awful first experience with brand new pop-up - Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ76

Hi all!  We recently bought a 2016 Jay Series 1007UD, new, and ended up having a nightmare of a vacation.  I?d be really grateful for any advice on what options we might have for handling it. 

Sorry if this is a bit long (and I?ll try to explain the mechanical stuff as best I can ? I?m learning as I go?) 

My husband picked the trailer up four days before a planned trip and went through the dealer orientation, but didn?t focus on the condition at the time as he was making sure he properly learned everything he needed to know (and had our two young kids in tow).  Later that evening, we set it up and at that point realized that there were gouges in the interior panelling, stains on the speakers, burnt out bulbs inside, and outside there were several areas on the roof with cracked and peeling sealant, the Jayco decal was torn, and the water heater door didn?t close tightly.  Nothing (aside from the sealant) seemed like a big deal, but odd for a brand new unit, we thought.

We contacted the dealer, and they said to send photos but to go ahead on our trip as planned and they would take care of it on our return.  We were hesitant (especially about the sealant) but headed out as planned.  Around 4pm on our first day on the road, one of the trailer wheels started smoking, and when we pulled over the bearing cap exploded off it like it was shot from a gun.   

We spent the next four days stranded, most of our time being either on the phone with Coachnet, waiting for tows, waiting for someone to be able to do the repairs, and then ultimately being towed 200km back, and being stranded another day and a half while the repairs were being done. 

It turned out to be the brake line, which they fixed, but while they were working on it they also discovered that the water tank was cracked and unusable but could not be repaired that as they would have to wait several days for parts, and there was significant water damage under the roof in the areas where the sealant was cracked.

We also learned (while waiting 4 days stranded in the rain) that the awning had been installed upside down so was unusable (as of course was the add-a-room).

We ultimately were unable to reach our destination, as we had to return home to return to work. 

Buying the trailer was a very big decision for us, and we?re extremely frustrated in the outcome.  We made the decision to buy a trailer after many years of tenting based on specific conveniences that the upgrade would bring, and after much deliberation chose to go with a new unit over used assuming that this would assure us a smooth experience.  We?re prepared of course for all kinds of issues on a trip ? the weather can be awful, people can get ill, etc, but we never imagined that on our first day on the road in a brand new trailer there would be major issues with the functionality, causing us to not only be stranded for days and not make our destination, but also making that time frustrating and difficult. 

Arranging a week off to go away as a family is next to impossible, and we spent what felt like an awful lot of money to us in order to have a much-wanted vacation at the ocean.  Spending it instead stuck with two young kids and a dog in a remote area of Quebec sitting in parking lots, waiting for tows, and hours on the phone with Jayco and Coachnet (and even the time not on the phone was lost as they needed us to be constantly available to receive calls from them) was challenging beyond words.  We were unable to spend much time together during the days, and evenings were even more frustrating due to the awning making us unable to cook or spend time outdoors due to the weather.

We tried our best to make the best of what time we did have, and I know I sound whiny and spoiled, but honestly the moments where we were able to be together actually vacationing were extremely minimal, and we're completely disillusioned, frustrated, and sad.  There won?t be another opportunity for us to go away again like that for several years.

I know that Jayco will cover the tow, repairs, and (I believe?) some of the cancellation fees for things we had booked, but I?m not sure that we even want this trailer at this point.  The dealer may be willing to replace it with another of the same unit, but I?m wondering whether we aren?t potentially entitled to something more than just not being out of pocket for the problems (though I?ve no idea what).  Am I being unreasonable because I?m just so sad right now?  Or would the dealer (or Jayco?) possibly have the ability to somehow make up for some of our inconvenience?

Believe it or not, some day you will look back on your adventure and laugh about it. Not next week, nor next month, but the day will come. You'll get your camper fixed  (or maybe replaced) and start on the path to creating memories, which is the ultimate goal.

You don't sound whiny or spoiled. As far as getting any kind of reimbursement, you will be lucky to just get the camper fixed/replaced. Don't count on anything else. The lack of quality control of RV's is a much discussed topic here.

Not having any experience living in Canada, but I would bring down the wrath of all that is available to you for correction to this matter.
Of course that path would be taken the minute the dealer showed any signs of balking, hesitation or waffling to set this straight.

Just my own slanted opinion.

Corky

Personally I would be mad as hell, a new unit and all that?  I think that is beyond unacceptable, I mean
an old one yes, but brand new, that is sickening.

Totally unacceptable, but this is the reason most of us won't buy anything without a full pre-delivery inspection. Since you already took it off the lot and they have your check, you get to see how good the dealer is at fixing your pop up. I wish you the best of luck, and raise holy hell (politely at first).

Threatening to get news stations involved usually does the trick. That's completely unacceptable, especially being a brand new unit. Good luck.

Sorry for your troubles.
While you got more than your fair share, it is pretty much the norm to find issues with new units.
Based on much advice from this forum, we went on a series of long weekend exploratory trips to find these kind of problems when it would not ruing the dream vacation.
We had a dozen or more items fixed by the dealer under warranty.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.  If the dealer is reasonable, the issues will be repaired and you will have a workable pop-up for your family to enjoy.

Let us know how the meeting with the dealer goes.

Sounds like it may have had an accident on the way to the dealer.. Considering the long list of errors and that is is a THIS YEAR's Model, not one that's used.. I'm thinking I'd ask for a replacement myself.... As someone said the condition it is in is sickening, in fact, it stretches imagination a dealer would even sell it. (but then imagination is often stretched, and by dealers).

I guess we will never know the result as the OP has never been back since a day or two after the original post.

aquadave said:
how about an up date? I'd like to know how they handled it. That's a lot of bad workmanship on 1 camper

Did you notice that the post above yours was over 2 months since the original post?  Yours is almost 7 months since the OP.

I know it will never happen - but I would like to see a rule that you can't just post something one time and never report back.  :(
IF 30 days pass and there is no reply from the OP - then I would vote for the posting to be removed. And they would have to re-register
to post anything again.  JMO.

OH well - life goes on.......

My history in camping goes like this...

Tented less than 5 times..Too Hot or Cold, kids too young, unsafe, a pain in the a@#, terrible storm came in and nearly blew us away..end of tenting.

Camped the next weekend in a used popup we bought, paid 1200.00, pretty nice deal and nice popup, terrible storm came in and nearly blew us away.. end of popups. Sold it for 1200.00

Found a 2004 hardside TT on craigslist, poor guy bought it for 10k 6 months earlier from general rv, sold it to me for 4200.00 I used it two years. Its the only way to go. Kids are getting older 9 and 10, have had wind storms, rain storms, cold and hot temp, alot of guests/no guests, cooked in and cooked out. Sold it for 6500.00

Upgraged to a 2016 Jayco triple slide two ac's, outdoor kitchen, and every option you can think of, possibly more than we need but in my opinion, you are going to get ALL kinds of different issues outdoors, why put a piece of fabric between you and whatever that is. Look for a hardside (personal opinion)

I'd rather have the same sort of issues with a camper I'm happy with and got a great deal on then (they all have issues) then to have something I'm just not going to be happy with and feeling stuck. Pay cash as well whenever you can, payments keep you sucked in. 

Every camper has issues, they are all made cheaply.

Try to get something you will be happy with.. not only now.. but in 5 to 10 years as well.

I agree with redandsilver. Nothing worse than an incomplete story, or a suggested fix that the op doesnt respond back with the results of the fix. Sometimes you can look up a thread that had the exact problem you have. Its nice when the story has an ending with the result of the fix.

Agreed, I hate no update.
And in this case, dare I say, it shows this isn't all the unit and dealers fault.
Buying  and picking up a unit and headed out on a BIG trip immediately is not good planning.
The same night set up was obviously a hasty set-up.

It stinks all the way around, but lack of attention to detail with the unit is also reflected with the lack of attention to this post with questions. :-\

AJ76 said:
...after much deliberation chose to go with a new unit over used assuming that this would assure us a smooth experience.

This thread should be a perfect (yet unfortunate, for the OP) reminder as to why the above comment can often be completely false with RV's.  All sorts of "shakedown" problems can pop up once you hit the road with new units.  Which is why we so often talk about the budget/condition benefits of buying gently used RV's over new ones.

RedandSilver said:
Did you notice that the post above yours was over 2 months since the original post?  Yours is almost 7 months since the OP.

I know it will never happen - but I would like to see a rule that you can't just post something one time and never report back.  :(
IF 30 days pass and there is no reply from the OP - then I would vote for the posting to be removed. And they would have to re-register
to post anything again.  JMO.

OH well - life goes on.......

i noticed it has been several months so more than enough time to deal back and forth and settled the matter. so again how about an update

I wouldn't hold your breath aquadave

OP Registered: August 23, 2016, 06:56:57 AM and made this post.
and was Last Active: August 26, 2016, 10:43:53 AM
:-\

Derby6 said:
I wouldn't hold your breath aquadave

OP Registered: August 23, 2016, 06:56:57 AM and made this post.
and was Last Active: August 26, 2016, 10:43:53 AM
:-\

I noticed the same.
Too bad. I would have loved to learn the outcome myself.

Until we hear back from the OP, I'd like to say a few things for the general public who might read this. 

First, while I probably show up as a new user, I was a long time member here but went dormant (didn't have a camper for 5 years) so I re-registered.  I have owed TWO Jayco Popups - 2004 & and 2009. 

Regarding this post:

One of the reasons I bought Jaycos was the exceptional customer service.  When you call, you talk to someone sitting in an office in Indiana, and they stand behind their product.  My expectation is that Jayco made right what they should have.

By the description, EITHER this poor family was sold a used camper passed off as new, or the OP's husband bought a used and told the fam. it was new, or the OP's husband bought a new camper, but blew through the walk-through and then proceeded to make mistake after mistake.  Popups are funny things, they require specific care and handling, you can easily mess something up.

I have to assume all worked out well for this family - if you are reading this wondering about purchasing your first popup, don't worry.  Jaycos are fine products.  Just be sure to do your homework about your dealer, and be sure to take a friend with you to the walk through, video it, take notes, and don't sign a thing until you know what you're getting.

Back
Top Bottom