Would this battery work for my Truck Camper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DexterW

I have a 1960s camper in good condition and I am wondering if this battery will work to power the lights, pumps, outlets and such for my camper during extended camping trips. How does this all work exactly? Would I have to charge it with a trickle charger in between uses or does it charge off my truck, or both?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSBQ/3478PLT/03321.oap?year=2012&make=GMC&model=Savana%2B1500&vi=1502147&ck=Search_C0423_1502147_-1&pt=C0423&ppt=C0005#itemDetailTab_

It would work - any 12v battery would work - but it is not ideal. That battery is designed for cranking an engine, whereas what you really want is one designed for deep cycle use (deep discharge, followed by a recharge, many times). It's a big one, though, so ought to last awhile.

As for charging, I don't know if your truck camper has its own onboard charger or not. Does it have a cord for plugging to shore power when available? If so, it may have its own converter/charger built-in.

You can still use an external charger if you like, though. Probably not a "trickle" type, though, since they are very slow at charging and you probably want a faster rate of charge when you do have power available for charging.

Back
Top Bottom