USED INNEBAGO MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gbono2

I need some input form other on this forum.  What do you think of the reliability of a Winnebago motor home?  Are they even worth considering?

Winnebago has been building motorhomes for a long time and there are many happy owners out there. Whether the one you're looking at is "reliable" is impossible to tell without seeing it and knowing more about it. What year and model is it? What's the mileage?

Winnebago builds coaches in all sizes and price ranges. Their quality is as good as any competitor in the equivalent price ranges. And they build about as many lemons as the other manufacturers too.  They do make an attempt to design in useful features, sometimes rather innovative ones too.

We own a Winnebago Sightseer. We're been very pleased with it. It's a fine motorhome in the price range we could afford (low end). If/when we start looking for an upgrade, we would consider Winnebago again, along with just about every other brand.

we have an Itasca Spirit Class C Motorhome, basically a Winnie, just a different name plate.  Its a 98 and other than the color scheme, looks and run great.  no problems yet and the previous owners didn't have any problems either.

Just as the others have said, Winnie makes a good coach.  They also are very helpful with customer service, even when i had questions about mine. 

I owned a '94,  29' Winnie Brave Class A -- and now have a 96, 34' Adventurer.

Was also involved with a Rental Agency in Sacramento for several years -- and all their Class C rentals were Winnie's. In their experience, Winnie's held up better under the rigors of renters better than other vendor models. They "did" have Winnebago beef up the suspension springs on all the units they purchased as the stock springs did not hold up as well.

The bad news is that early '90's Winnie's had a floor problem. Seems the floor panels did not join at the chassis joints. So those joints between the chassis joints would start to sag over time. My '94 had that problem. Fortunately, the dealer working with Winnebago fixed mine even tho it was out of warranty. The fix cost about $2,500 (at the time). It involved cutting out the top layer plus the insulation of the existing floor and replacing it with plywood of similar thickness -- then putting the carpets back down. The plywood extended to each chassis joint as the original flooring should have. It "did" add weight to the rig, but I sure had solid floors after that.

So if looking at a used Winny in that vintage - be sure to check out the flooring. It will be especially noticeable just in front of the bedroom area and again around the dinette areas. Of course, the floor plans will be different so best check out the entire length of the rig aisle. I recall last year looking at a '95 Adventurer and noticed the floor "giving in" in front of the kitchen and also the entrance to the bedroom. The dealers response was, "Oh, nothing to worry about -- those are just Winny floors". ???

Aside from the flooring thing that seems to be OK in my '96, I am very high on Winnebago's or Itasca MH's.

I bought a 1998 Adventurer mostly because it was super clean and I could afford it.  It has been a great MH.  We love it.  It has given us a lot of wonderful times.

We have a 2005 Minnie. A few minor problems at first, but a great rig at a decent price. The overall quality is the reason we picked it over other brands.

I have a 95 33 ft Brave which I really enjoy.  I don't full time but I do use it every month.  I found a few problems with the build job on it, but not anything I couldn't handle.  Mostly lack of insulation in certain areas witch allowed for excessive condensation.  The frount cab area wasn't insulated underneath and the front cap above the windshield had the same problem.  The other area was the rear fenderwells.  A little Dap non expanding foam insulation took care of the front cap and the regular expanding type under the cab area.  1 1/2 " blue expanded styrene for the rear fender wells. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom