2007 DST March 11 = Mini Y2K??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

You may have seen some headlines on the Internet or TV or heard friends talking about a Time Zone problem with Outlook due to Daylight Saving Time which starts three weeks early this year in the United States and Canada. (See MSNBC report below).

According to Microsoft, Outlook creates appointments and meetings using UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) NOT your local time. When you add a new event and give it a specific time, Outlook converts the time to UTC and stores that instead, then converts it back to your time when you need to see it. The daylight savings change in March makes this a big problem, which is the reason for Microsoft's warnings on their Outlook web site

MSNBC Report Below

Daylight saving time arrives a little earlier ? March 11 ? and stays a little later ? Nov. 4 ? this year. And it?s bringing a problem along with it that could affect everything from stock trades to airline schedules to your BlackBerry.

Software created before the law mandating the change passed in 2005 is set to automatically advance its timekeeping by one hour on the first Sunday in April, not the second Sunday in March. Congress decided that more early evening daylight would translate into energy savings.

The result is a glitch reminiscent of the Y2K bug, when cataclysmic crashes were feared if computers interpreted the year 2000 as 1900 and couldn?t reconcile time appearing to move backward. If banks and other institutions aren't properly prepared, automatic stock trades reportedly might happen at the wrong hour, buildings that unlock at a certain time could stay shut, and airline flight schedules could be scrambled.

The wrong time won't crash your computer, however it may mess up a few court cases is all,  But Microsoft has released a patch (it is a fairly simple patch) about the only thing that would really get messed up is things like the Channel Guide on my Replay TV

And my Replays were all patched yesterday

The best thing the government could do is elminate DST completly, let the clocks stay on the same cycle year round, and then ask businesses, INCLUDING GOVERNMENT to have "Summer hours" (which many do already) which are an hour earlier.

So 9-5 in january would be 8-4 in July

I won't have any problems either. We live in one of the few states that realize what a joke daylight confusing time is so we don't observe it. That and the first thing I delete off of my computer when I get it is Outlook.

Chet18013 said:
I won't have any problem. I'm using an APPLE now.

Chet18013

This is not so much a personal computer issue as it might be with many  'small business' systems.

A  likely impact is like in a doctors office or small reservation system where everything will be an hour off with people showing at the wrong time or for those who made a reservation from between 11 March and first of April. We must assume the big systems like with airlines will have figured it out in advance but there are many small peripheral systems tied in who may not have made necessary program changes.

The patch was one of the normal "patch Tuesday" releases last month.  You do keep up with the hot fixes, right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom