Tiny home TV shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glen54737

Have you seen these?
They seem to have more money than sense. I watched one right after the RV hunting one both people had $90,000 budget and 2 kids very similar stories.
The RV show they ended up with a Class A with bunks and the tiny house people got a 3 axle trailer but no way to move it. Also I think the builder of the tiny house really overcharged them, 90k when i can't see more than 30 in materials.

Also why do they use a composting toilet but have a shower and washer/dryer? Where does the water go? 

I saw another one where this girl gave $5,000 for a 1978 prowler travel trailer. I don't think it was ever worth $5,000.

I really just don't get it, I'll stick to the 5th wheel. Its easier to tow and has a bed(King size) I don't have to setup when I want to use it Or lofts with no emergency exits.

My other half watches the Tiny House programs in addition to any program on house building or remodelling. so I get to hear parts of the shows. Neither of us 'get' the Tiny House thing, but folks who do think it's a way of saving money on housing and bills.

Earlier on this trip, we saw a number of Tiny Houses being towed, presumably to their permanent location.

I have only seen a few of them because I also think it's a ridiculous idea. The only saw that made any sense was a builder showed a couple with 2 kids 3 different floor plans, and at last a new TT.  After a short discussion, the couple drove off with the TT. 

We laugh about these all the time. They look like "Park Models" from the 90's to us.

I notice most of the tiny house home owners have  their homes set up on friends or parents properties. 
Like others I don't get why  you would  want this set up, but it is fun to watch how ingenious some of them get with their use of space.

Traverse Bay RV Resort in Traverse City MI has recently broken ground on a new section designed specifically for tiny homes.  It will be interesting to see how it turns out.  I don't "get" the concept either.

ArdraF

When I was in KC there was one next to us in the rv park they built the door and services on the "wrong" side.
I was wondering where else they are parked.

Sometimes "Reality"isn't all that real.  My best friend is an Architect, one of his projects was featured on HGTV. When the episode was shown on TV I watched it with him.  His frequent comments  were;  What the hell?, I didn't say that! Where did they get that crazy number from? I wish I was paid that much per square foot!  I'll never do this again!

That's true, all of the TV shows you see are staged in some fashion. After all, it's all about ratings and money from sponsors.  The actual subject of the show is second.

One key difference between RVs and tiny houses that is conveniently overlooked on these TV shows is that RV's usually have lots of cabinets for storage.  Our old Beaver is a great example of how attractive cabinets can fill nearly every unused space.  Most tiny houses have a bit of storage but not nearly as much as is afforded by our cabinets.  Nor, of course, do they have the equivalent of a motorhome's basement.

OTOH, we just built a 140 sq ft finished room and an 80 sq ft shed on our RV lot in Rockport TX.  Together with the ~340 sq ft in our MH and the outdoor deck space, it feels as if we now live in a palace!  ;D  After nearly six years of full-timing, it's amazing what a little extra space will do for you!

Back
Top Bottom