EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Toilet Paper???  (Read 3185 times)

albertm1960

• ---
Toilet Paper???
« on: August 25, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »
So I usually buy cheap Scott toilet paper at bj's in Jersey for a great price.  Their "quick Dissolve" paper is much more money as are brands you find online or in camping stores.  Has anyone found a way to buy cheaper, or, is Scott regular paper ok for RV use and do people use it.  But in the end I will easily pay extra instead of clogging system, just wonder if there is a cheaper trick out there. thanks
35 ft 2007 Keystone Montana.
Highlands, NJ

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Toilet Paper???
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 04:27:14 PM »
Please so a forum search on toilet paper for many discussions on this subject. The bottom line is it doesn't make a bit of difference what you use. Regular toilet paper will not clog the system. Buy the cheapest you can find.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 04:35:12 PM »
Pretty much any "septic safe" TP will work fine. It's better to avoid colored, perfumed, patterned or embossed papers because they are made from stronger paper and thus slower to dissolve, but even those may not be a problem in all cases.

You will probably get several brand recommendations, but if you flush with enough water they should all work fairly well.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

albertm1960

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 04:52:11 PM »
thanks
Highlands, NJ

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 05:44:58 PM »
It's too bad Tom and Gary didn't attend the Forum QZ rally two or three years ago. If they had they would know Wendy did the latest of (who knows how many) scientific research and testing of all the different brands being used by all the attendees.

The results are around here somewhere that showed Sams Club Members Mark Premium dissolved the quickest and most completely. After a day of beating this old bush I am sure everyone is still using whatever the women say is most comfortable. ::) ::)

The one thing we all agree on is it not necessary to buy the expensive "For RV Use" paper you will find wherever RV supplies are sold.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:47:51 PM by Jeff »

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 05:57:48 PM »
It's too bad Tom and Gary didn't attend the Forum QZ rally two or three years ago. If they had they would know Wendy did the latest of (who knows how many) scientific research and testing of all the different brands being used by all the attendees.
I don't really care about the results of the tests. I have been RVing since the 70s and I have never used RV toilet paper and never cared what type I use. It hasn't bothered me so far. Most people only dump once a week at most so what ever brand of toilet paper will be dissolved by then so I don't see it as important to have the paper that dissolves the quickest.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »
As an Analytical Chemist, I DO care about test results.  As I recall, Wendy's results showed that SOME TP did not dissolve well, and facial tissue was a complete taboo!  With that said, 90% - 95% of all brands tested were acceptable.  RV paper is clearly NOT needed.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 06:38:46 PM »
Just take a couple of pieces and put them in a glass of water and let it sit for an hour or so. Then go back and stir what you have and see if it breaks up.  Most any brand will work as long as it's safe for septic use like Gary stated.

Here's the link for the test results:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,71131.0.html 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 06:41:29 PM by Rene T »
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 07:03:16 PM »
I can hear catblaster moaning from here.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 08:31:08 PM »
Hey Tom, it passes the time until Christmas.

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 08:49:10 PM »
I can hear catblaster moaning from here.

but you somehow knew I would click on this post anyway didn't you.

On a constructive note, I have had the cheap scott tissue stop up my home toilet and that was the only brand of the ones I have used that did that. Prefer the purple? or blue? bear because it is comforting to the tush and flushes well.

If anyone could find out what brand they use in the port-a-lets that would be the best, they have to suck it up with a vacuum pump. Try not to over think this or analyze the crap outta it .....just sayin
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 04:32:01 AM »
but you somehow knew I would click on this post anyway didn't you.
Like a moth drawn to a flame....
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 06:35:56 AM »
I don't really care about the results of the tests. I have been RVing since the 70s and I have never used RV toilet paper and never cared what type I use. It hasn't bothered me so far. Most people only dump once a week at most so what ever brand of toilet paper will be dissolved by then so I don't see it as important to have the paper that dissolves the quickest.

I agree with Tom on this one. We use Cottonelle Ultra, and I'm sure it won't pass a "dissolve test". Doing everything from weekending to camphosting for months at a time, I have never had any problems with it.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 08:07:05 AM »
I've been told we shouldn't be using the Charmin Ultra Soft that we favor because it took 48.00937 seconds to dissolve in "scientific" testing somewhere. Since I can't pull up my pants and run outside to dump the tank that fast, I long ago quit worrying about it. Use what your butt likes best...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

RVfixer

• ---
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 09:09:09 AM »
I think the best answer here is "No you don't have to use RV paper."  However, the one about not being able to pull up pants and run around and dump that fast, made me laugh.  I'll go with that one.  Anybody got a scientific test on how long it takes to pull up pants and run around and dump?.......Belt, no belt...suspenders?

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 09:25:30 AM »
I luv this topic! It always generates so many and so varied responses - almost as many as Walmart RV parking!   ;D
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 09:34:09 AM »
Aye Gary, and you may recall that, in earlier days of our forum, this subject resulted in our longest thread/discussion. The subject resurfaces now and again, but it doesn't seem to get old  ;D
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 01:02:09 PM »
Aye Gary, and you may recall that, in earlier days of our forum, this subject resulted in our longest thread/discussion. The subject resurfaces now and again, but it doesn't seem to get old  ;D

That's why I provided the link to the last uninformal unscientific test conducted. Thinking it may stop there. I was wrong.  :o ::) :)
AKA  Pep N Mem

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 01:23:31 PM »
LOL Rene, folks here just love to talk about anything related to poop or black tanks  ;D

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 01:29:55 PM »
Are you saying we like to talk sxxx? ;D
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 01:31:42 PM »
Nah, just poop  ;D

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 01:37:10 PM »
LOL Rene, folks here just love to talk about anything related to poop or black tanks  ;D

It's a crappy subject.   ;D
AKA  Pep N Mem

albertm1960

• ---
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 02:17:33 PM »
Well, as a newbie I'm glad I didn't do a forum search and gave this amusing topic another run!!
Highlands, NJ

whiteva

• ---
    • Nibbler the traveling squirrel
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 07:05:30 AM »
I was going old school but corn cobs will get stuck in the 90 degree bend of the hose so back to Charmin!   
(now get that picture out of your brain)
2008 Winnie 29TR, Class C
Me: RETIRED: Aerobatic flight instructor, RE Broker, EE,-
DW, Nan, works Finance for RV dealer. Travel short distances pulling 77' MGB on dolly.
 If not in the RV we are on the Sea Ray, with Nibbler & Shadeaux the black cat. http://www.acroflyer.com/nibbler/

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »
I luv this topic! It always generates so many and so varied responses - almost as many as Walmart RV parking!   

You beat me to it. 
I've never seen a group more adamant and opinionated about what to use on their backside.  ;D ;D
Always a lively topic!
We used RV toilet paper when we first got the rig. Now any one ply on sale will do.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

H5-Phil

• ---
  • Penryn, CA. (foothills of the Sierra)
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 12:54:24 PM »
Crap - this topic is almost a year old!  I'm glad I found it though, I've now decided to dump our RVTP after seeing the info here. 
I'm a retired Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator - I can guarantee you that NO TP makes it to the wastewater plant intact - it all dissolves in the sewer system (along with most everything else).
Our barscreens did remove an occational child's toy, clothes, paper money, diapers, tons of condoms, plastics, cigarette butts, dope baggies, etc..  Ahhh, the memories ;).
Phil & Karen with Crash, our 'guard' Dachshund
KE6HUL / KE6NYJ
2014 F-350 Diesel XLT. with Leer shell
2004 31' Alumascape TT

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 01:27:43 PM »
Crap - this topic is almost a year old!  I'm glad I found it though, I've now decided to dump our RVTP after seeing the info here. 
I'm a retired Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator - I can guarantee you that NO TP makes it to the wastewater plant intact - it all dissolves in the sewer system (along with most everything else).
Our barscreens did remove an occational child's toy, clothes, paper money, diapers, tons of condoms, plastics, cigarette butts, dope baggies, etc..  Ahhh, the memories ;).

I worked at a wastewater treatment plant back in the early 70's. Hauled sludge from midnight-eight AM. Funny thing about the sludge-used to dump it around the perimeter fence when farmers didn't want to buy it. We noticed a couple of the long haired employees (it was the 70's) hanging around the back fence area. Found that two things grew quite well out of the sludge, tomatoes and marijuana. I don't think these guys were making BLT's.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 01:57:08 PM »
Gosh!!!!  I really do enjoy this forum :D
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
2016 Cougar 28RLS

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 09:50:58 PM »
Our barscreens did remove an occational child's toy, clothes, paper money, diapers, tons of condoms, plastics, cigarette butts, dope baggies, etc..  Ahhh, the memories ;) .

Yep, I've often said I don't care if my choice of TP takes a little longer to breakdown than another. It's still faster than I can pull up my pants and run outside to dump the tank...  ;D
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

H5-Phil

• ---
  • Penryn, CA. (foothills of the Sierra)
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 06:16:20 AM »
Good one!!  LMAO!! 

I worked at a wastewater treatment plant back in the early 70's. Hauled sludge from midnight-eight AM. Funny thing about the sludge-used to dump it around the perimeter fence when farmers didn't want to buy it. We noticed a couple of the long haired employees (it was the 70's) hanging around the back fence area. Found that two things grew quite well out of the sludge, tomatoes and marijuana. I don't think these guys were making BLT's.
Phil & Karen with Crash, our 'guard' Dachshund
KE6HUL / KE6NYJ
2014 F-350 Diesel XLT. with Leer shell
2004 31' Alumascape TT

Hosted by Over The Network