Toilet Paper???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albertm1960

So I usually buy cheap Scott toilet paper at bj's in Jersey for a great price.  Their "quick Dissolve" paper is much more money as are brands you find online or in camping stores.  Has anyone found a way to buy cheaper, or, is Scott regular paper ok for RV use and do people use it.  But in the end I will easily pay extra instead of clogging system, just wonder if there is a cheaper trick out there. thanks

Please so a forum search on toilet paper for many discussions on this subject. The bottom line is it doesn't make a bit of difference what you use. Regular toilet paper will not clog the system. Buy the cheapest you can find.

Pretty much any "septic safe" TP will work fine. It's better to avoid colored, perfumed, patterned or embossed papers because they are made from stronger paper and thus slower to dissolve, but even those may not be a problem in all cases.

You will probably get several brand recommendations, but if you flush with enough water they should all work fairly well.

It's too bad Tom and Gary didn't attend the Forum QZ rally two or three years ago. If they had they would know Wendy did the latest of (who knows how many) scientific research and testing of all the different brands being used by all the attendees.

The results are around here somewhere that showed Sams Club Members Mark Premium dissolved the quickest and most completely. After a day of beating this old bush I am sure everyone is still using whatever the women say is most comfortable. ::) ::)

The one thing we all agree on is it not necessary to buy the expensive "For RV Use" paper you will find wherever RV supplies are sold.

Jeff said:
It's too bad Tom and Gary didn't attend the Forum QZ rally two or three years ago. If they had they would know Wendy did the latest of (who knows how many) scientific research and testing of all the different brands being used by all the attendees.
I don't really care about the results of the tests. I have been RVing since the 70s and I have never used RV toilet paper and never cared what type I use. It hasn't bothered me so far. Most people only dump once a week at most so what ever brand of toilet paper will be dissolved by then so I don't see it as important to have the paper that dissolves the quickest.

As an Analytical Chemist, I DO care about test results.  As I recall, Wendy's results showed that SOME TP did not dissolve well, and facial tissue was a complete taboo!  With that said, 90% - 95% of all brands tested were acceptable.  RV paper is clearly NOT needed.

Just take a couple of pieces and put them in a glass of water and let it sit for an hour or so. Then go back and stir what you have and see if it breaks up.  Most any brand will work as long as it's safe for septic use like Gary stated.

Here's the link for the test results:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,71131.0.html 

SeilerBird said:
I can hear catblaster moaning from here.

but you somehow knew I would click on this post anyway didn't you.

On a constructive note, I have had the cheap scott tissue stop up my home toilet and that was the only brand of the ones I have used that did that. Prefer the purple? or blue? bear because it is comforting to the tush and flushes well.

If anyone could find out what brand they use in the port-a-lets that would be the best, they have to suck it up with a vacuum pump. Try not to over think this or analyze the crap outta it .....just sayin

SeilerBird said:
I don't really care about the results of the tests. I have been RVing since the 70s and I have never used RV toilet paper and never cared what type I use. It hasn't bothered me so far. Most people only dump once a week at most so what ever brand of toilet paper will be dissolved by then so I don't see it as important to have the paper that dissolves the quickest.

I agree with Tom on this one. We use Cottonelle Ultra, and I'm sure it won't pass a "dissolve test". Doing everything from weekending to camphosting for months at a time, I have never had any problems with it.

I've been told we shouldn't be using the Charmin Ultra Soft that we favor because it took 48.00937 seconds to dissolve in "scientific" testing somewhere. Since I can't pull up my pants and run outside to dump the tank that fast, I long ago quit worrying about it. Use what your butt likes best...

I think the best answer here is "No you don't have to use RV paper."  However, the one about not being able to pull up pants and run around and dump that fast, made me laugh.  I'll go with that one.  Anybody got a scientific test on how long it takes to pull up pants and run around and dump?.......Belt, no belt...suspenders?

Aye Gary, and you may recall that, in earlier days of our forum, this subject resulted in our longest thread/discussion. The subject resurfaces now and again, but it doesn't seem to get old  ;D

Tom said:
Aye Gary, and you may recall that, in earlier days of our forum, this subject resulted in our longest thread/discussion. The subject resurfaces now and again, but it doesn't seem to get old  ;D

That's why I provided the link to the last uninformal unscientific test conducted. Thinking it may stop there. I was wrong.  :eek: ::) :)

LOL Rene, folks here just love to talk about anything related to poop or black tanks  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom