rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: WinXP repair/re-installation  (Read 10426 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Re: WinXP repair/re-installation
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2007, 11:10:33 PM »
I've attached a list of things loaded in safe mode.

Thanks a bundle Karl. Yes, our lists are a little different. Mup.sys appears to load OK, but my next one (alim1541.sys) is where it all stops. I tried disabling that driver several times this morning, but it either couldn't find a registry record for it or said "the service isn't available".
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2007, 11:11:42 PM »
Thanks for all the inputs. We just got home from a day in the Sierra foothills, so haven't been able to do anything. But we did stop at Fry's Electronics en route. I bought an enclosure for a spare HD I have here, but just realized it's a 3.5" drive and enclosure, so it won't help with the 2.5" drive in the notebook.

Also bought a copy of Xandros Linux. Even if it doesn't do what Dave suggested, I wanted to try it (on the usable machine) anyway.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 12:54:41 AM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2007, 09:18:47 AM »
I am now able to boot to the Windows desktop, thanks to the procedure found here. Some of the files are not in the directory he says they should be, but I believe that may be a typo on his part, or maybe MS decided to change the directory structure a little.

The system is really slow and I'm still trying to get Windows Explorer to see the flash drive plugged into a USB port. When I plug the drive into the port, Windows goes through the motions of recognizing new hardware and telling me it's ready to use.

I also haven't been able to find a restore point later than 2003, except for the one created today.

I've tried a few apps and they appear to be working. My data also appears to be there and viewable in the few apps I've tried.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:23:54 AM by Tom »

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2007, 09:41:03 AM »
That procedure is ok if you have a recent restore point.  Since you apparently don't, but have a working Windows installation, I would do a Repair install now to fix any corrupted system files.  The registry files you copied over in the first part of the procedure are actually the same as if you had done the Use Last Known Good Congiguration.  I checked on my system and the file dates are of the last good boot, not from the original system setup.  After a Repair, you will have to go to Windows Update to reapply any missing hot fixes.

Of course, a full backup of your data first is the most important step.  If you can't get the flash drive to work, and it may not, then try burning to CD.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2007, 10:53:52 AM »
Refer to Part 2, step 8. You may be able to access other restore points.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2007, 12:36:12 PM »
You may be able to access other restore points.

Yes I am Karl, and I'm using one of those old RPs right now. It's not pretty, but at least I can now get Windows Explorer to recognize the flash drive and the HD (it wouldn't recognize either of them earlier today) and I'm able to access my data.

When I've retrieved the small amount of data that wasn't backed up, I think it will be time to install the new HD and start afresh.

Thanks to all who responded and offered advice. I learned something about Windows repair/recovery from this episode, but only enough to ensure I'm confused next time.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2007, 12:48:04 PM »
Thankfully, you're able to recover your data.  I agree a fresh install is the best course now.  The existing installation may not be salvageable, even with a Repair install.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2007, 01:20:16 PM »
IIRC I've had the new drive almost a couple of years and just procrastinated on installing it. BTW I found the drive after saying I'd put it somewhere safe - it was on my desk right in front of my nose  :-[  Now I have no excuse.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2007, 03:03:16 PM »
it was on my desk right in front of my nose
Ockham's Razor at work ;D
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2007, 03:07:30 PM »
LOL Karl. I carried the darned thing around in my computer bag until just before our recent trip. Took it out, thinking I didn't need to worry about it until we came home. Then, in true Windows style, the machine crashed early into the trip  :(