WinXP repair/re-installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cougar3514v said:
....you wouldn't happen to know anyone who knows Linux, would you?

Sounds like a good suggestion to me Dave, although I don't personally know anyone nearby who uses Linux.

..I've never seen an external hard drive carrier that supports the laptop IDE connectors.

I wondered about that, but didn't want to ask a dumb question. I was about to look for that case I have laying around here. Meanwhile, I recall putting the new drive (that I've been carrying around for the last few years) somewhere safe and now I don't know where safe is.

Ned,
He said it fails to boot in safe mode. That indicates one of the basic boot files/driver is corrupt and either the copy or Fixmbr might work. As for using an external drive, he should still go into recovery and do a DIR to see if the file system is truly intact.

I know it doesn't boot in safe mode, but it does get him to the F8 menu where he can choose safe mode.  That says the boot files are intact, as is the MBR.  I agree a DIR check of the file system from the RC is in order.  A chkdsk would be even better and is available in the RC.

Article ID : 199175
Last Review : October 30, 2006
Revision : 4.1

Safe mode may not work in these situations:
? A mass storage driver (SCSI or IDE) is damaged or has been accidentally removed.
? The Ntoskrnl.exe or Hal.dll file is damaged.
? A program replaced system files that are critical to the operation of Windows.
To diagnose a problem with Safe mode, follow these steps:
1. Try all versions of Safe mode to see if Windows will start.
2. If no version of Safe mode will start, try using the command console to replace or rename a faulty driver or to disable or enable a service.
3. If the command console does not resolve the issue, you may need to restore the system from a backup.

By the way, the weak point in every system is the physical connectors.  Before going much further, have you tried simply unplugging the hard drive and plugging it back in?

On a further note, I agree with Ned that the MBR and boot files must be good in order to get to the F8 menu.  There are, however, additional device drivers that are loaded to communicate with the NTFS partition.  They are needed even in safe mode. That weird partition table you showed earlier really has me most concerned.

-Dave

Tom,

I've attached a list of things loaded in safe mode. Mine will be somewhat different from yours because of hdwe differences, but if you don't get down to Mup.sys, I'll guarantee (almost) that something previous is missing or corrupt. Use your "Pause" key to stop everything from whizzing past you.

Attachments

• Ntoskrnlexe.doc
    19 KB · Views: 10
I've never seen an external hard drive carrier that supports the laptop IDE connectors.

$30 at CompUSA.  They have 2.5" (laptop) and 3.5" (desktop) IDE - USB enclosures.

The external 3.50" drives usually require an external power source to power the drive.  The external 2.50" drives may have an external power supply or may take it from the USB port.  The one I recently got a 2.50" from CompUSA that has (2) USB cables, one for data, one for power.  Cooling fans are dependent on the design for the 3.50".  The 2.50" enclosures don't often have fans.  After having each of these external drives, I find an IPOD is more convenient, compact, and has fewer wires to connect for the same need, thou more expensive.

This Link may be of some assistance to you I hope.
http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

Paul10-4,
Thanks for the link, but we're already beyond that point. While the procedure for getting into the proper "repair" function is somewhat abstract, we're already into the area of finding out which system files, dll's, drivers, etc., are missing or corrupted.

Along those same lines, suggestions about using USB devices, while well intentioned, probably won't work because the system needs to enable USB devices, and that happens only after the system has booted up. They will work (maybe) for retrieving data, but only after the system has been repaired and functional. As far as needing two USB cables for one device - I don't understand that at all...unless the computer has only USB1 and it cannot the necessary power that that device needs. Needing a separate USB connection; one for data and one for power, just doesn't make sense.

Karl said:
I've attached a list of things loaded in safe mode.

Thanks a bundle Karl. Yes, our lists are a little different. Mup.sys appears to load OK, but my next one (alim1541.sys) is where it all stops. I tried disabling that driver several times this morning, but it either couldn't find a registry record for it or said "the service isn't available".

Thanks for all the inputs. We just got home from a day in the Sierra foothills, so haven't been able to do anything. But we did stop at Fry's Electronics en route. I bought an enclosure for a spare HD I have here, but just realized it's a 3.5" drive and enclosure, so it won't help with the 2.5" drive in the notebook.

Also bought a copy of Xandros Linux. Even if it doesn't do what Dave suggested, I wanted to try it (on the usable machine) anyway.

I am now able to boot to the Windows desktop, thanks to the procedure found here. Some of the files are not in the directory he says they should be, but I believe that may be a typo on his part, or maybe MS decided to change the directory structure a little.

The system is really slow and I'm still trying to get Windows Explorer to see the flash drive plugged into a USB port. When I plug the drive into the port, Windows goes through the motions of recognizing new hardware and telling me it's ready to use.

I also haven't been able to find a restore point later than 2003, except for the one created today.

I've tried a few apps and they appear to be working. My data also appears to be there and viewable in the few apps I've tried.

That procedure is ok if you have a recent restore point.  Since you apparently don't, but have a working Windows installation, I would do a Repair install now to fix any corrupted system files.  The registry files you copied over in the first part of the procedure are actually the same as if you had done the Use Last Known Good Congiguration.  I checked on my system and the file dates are of the last good boot, not from the original system setup.  After a Repair, you will have to go to Windows Update to reapply any missing hot fixes.

Of course, a full backup of your data first is the most important step.  If you can't get the flash drive to work, and it may not, then try burning to CD.

Karl said:
You may be able to access other restore points.

Yes I am Karl, and I'm using one of those old RPs right now. It's not pretty, but at least I can now get Windows Explorer to recognize the flash drive and the HD (it wouldn't recognize either of them earlier today) and I'm able to access my data.

When I've retrieved the small amount of data that wasn't backed up, I think it will be time to install the new HD and start afresh.

Thanks to all who responded and offered advice. I learned something about Windows repair/recovery from this episode, but only enough to ensure I'm confused next time.

Thankfully, you're able to recover your data.  I agree a fresh install is the best course now.  The existing installation may not be salvageable, even with a Repair install.

IIRC I've had the new drive almost a couple of years and just procrastinated on installing it. BTW I found the drive after saying I'd put it somewhere safe - it was on my desk right in front of my nose  :-[  Now I have no excuse.

LOL Karl. I carried the darned thing around in my computer bag until just before our recent trip. Took it out, thinking I didn't need to worry about it until we came home. Then, in true Windows style, the machine crashed early into the trip  :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom