checking trailer brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asphaltredneck

When I connect the plug to my tow vehicle and use the button on the controller to activate the trailer brakes only,the lights change from green to yellow and red like they should, does this mean the trailer brakes r working or do I have to break down and tow it to make sure??.
I have been told if when doing this the lights work that all is well,any input would be appreciated to help convince me this is the case.

How old is your trailer and have you ever adjusted the brake shoes?

You need to tow the trailer at about 25 MPH. Then activate the manual switch on the controller. The brakes should work and stop you. Another thing you can do is pull the pin for the break away cable. Your brakes should lock up. If they don't, it may be time to pull the brake drums and check out the shoes. They may only need adjusting.
And while they're apart, repack the bearings.

The changing in the lights (on your brake controller) means that the electronic signals are successfully being sent out from the controller... but that doesn't measure if the trailer's brake shoes are actually moving.  One way you can test those is with a magnetic compass.  Hold the compass close to each trailer wheel, and have someone activate the trailer brakes from the tow vehicle.  The compass needle will jump if it detects the magnetic "pull" of the brake shoes being activated. 

Disclaimer: I read that compass trick here on the forum, but have never actually tried it myself.  It's always a good idea to tow your trailer some distance every so often, to at least check brake function and warm up the tires.

Above answers are correct.  The lights mean the controller sent the signal.  It can not tell if brakes were actually applied.  The best way to test is to follow Rene's comments.

I check my brakes every time I hitch up and at every rest stop.  Simply move the manual lever on the controller, put the Tow Vehicle in gear and give it the go pedal.  If it moves at all, it should be only a few inches.

We always check our trailer brakes out every time we connect.  I don't have the voltage too high but I will apply the trailer brakes only at about 15 mph and I feel the braking; then I will hit the boost and then the brakes really becomes an anchor.  Our problem is when we are driving that I will have the controller in a cup holder (made by Prodigy and it is roughly the size of a CB microphone) and accidentally twist the voltage up.  Then it really becomes a surprise when stopping! 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom