1995 Cev 3500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timecode

Opinions please. Have a 1995 Chev 3500, 7.4 454, 4.10 gears, 10000 GVWR, GAWR 3800 front, 7500 rear, CWR 3974. Truck has 110000 miles on it. Am looking at large 5ers. Example 41', 12800 dry weight, GVWR 16470, hitch weight 2470. What you guys think? New hand here.

That is definitely dually country. I used to pull a 14,000 lb goose neck shop trailer with a 95 Chev 3500 srw (not my choice). It was not a fun experience especially in winter.

Hi Timecode,
Rarely is horsepower the limitation on safety.
Max capacities and brakes?  Those are more often the culprit.

Just to repeat the oft-quoted mantra - ignore dry weight.  It is based on how it shipped form the factory, before any extras were put in.  After you fill the tanks and fill the cupboards and basement, you will be much closer to the GVWR.  So use that number.

Pull it dry?  Sure.  Pull it loaded ready to travel?  Possibly.  But are you prepared for 5-6 MPG doing it?  The older trucks just dont have the pullingmpower newer trucks do.  Lots of factors come into play when pulling heavy.  Old trucks were not as stout, thus the much lower tow ratings.

It will pull a trailer like that no problem.  The 454 was a torque monster. Just not as fast as today's supper. Diesels. Units.  Will not stop as well as today's units either.  I would consider a aftermarket brake upgrade.  And most certainly that 454 will be a thirsty beast.  Wouldn't be surprised if it got as little as 4-6 miles to the gallon whial toweing...... Also don't forget when that truck was built. We still drove at 55. Not 65-70.  You will find its geared for best towing at 55

Q

:( Yup ... pulled a fully loaded 31' Outback tag long, SC to FL. Am aware how thirsty it is. Plan is when I do upgrade, to go from point A to point B every 9 months to a year. Not a monthly move. Definantly would like to upgrade the horse in a year or two. Just hoping to get by for the time being. Brake upgrade a good idea as well as a tranny cooler. Thanks for the input!

I am a little concerned about payload on the truck.  First, that pin wt is for an empty FW.  At 16,500# GVWR, the loaded pin wt will be over 3200#.  With a truck GVWR of only 10,000#, there may be issues.  Today's 3500 dually has a GVWR of 14,000# or more.

Since this one is available, try it, but be careful until you get a feel of how it handles the load.  It appears this is not your first rodeo, and will recognize a bad fit.

As far as RV's, have only pulled my 31' Outback TT. Have never pulled a 5er. Used to drive and pull Tractor Trailers back in the day. I imagine a 5er is quite different.

The real big difference for this discussion is that a TT will place about 10% of its weight on the truck.  A FW will place 20% or more of its weight directly in the truck bed.  It requires more payload to carry the FW.

FW generally pull better, but are often described as harder to back up.

Back
Top Bottom