Ouray, Colorado August 12-19, 2017 Off-Road Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There seems to be some confusion about the subject of OHV decals.

I went to the CO fish & game office to look into getting a decal and was told I didn't need one.  A local jeeper told me the law hasn't changed and it isn't required for highway legal jeeps, a Park service ranger told me it isn't required and the fish & game office said it isn't required.

The next time I go into town I'm going to the Forest Service office to talk with them.

More info to come.

Photog said:
There seems to be some confusion about the subject of OHV decals.

I went to the CO fish & game office to look into getting a decal and was told I didn't need one.  A local jeeper told me the law hasn't changed and it isn't required for highway legal jeeps, a Park service ranger told me it isn't required and the fish & game office said it isn't required.

The next time I go into town I'm going to the Forest Service office to talk with them.

More info to come.

Bill, that was what I had mentioned in my post that you will get different stories from different divisions.  The local businesses as well as the Ouray travel office told me an OHV permit was not needed.  The parks and wildlife, fish and game department are the ones that told me an OHV permit is needed and even had the information on their website (which I attached) that showed where the decal needed to be placed on a Jeep.

I was told by one Jeep rental place that an OHV permit was not needed and another Jeep rental company that told me their Jeeps were already permitted, so even different stories there.

Chrystal and I have been wheeling in this area for over 8 years now and have never been stopped or cited so either it isn't enforced, we don't need one or we have just been lucky.  Many states anymore are looking for ways to generate revenue so it is up to each of personally on whether or not we want to roll the dice and gamble.  I still feel where we are using the trails we should be prepared but I cannot force anyone to get a permit.  I would hate to have someone get cited and have to pay a fine so ultimately it is everyone's personal decision.

I have attached another Colorado website that shows Jeeps need to be permitted for your reading pleasure.
http://www.staythetrail.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=266593&module_id=228438

As far as specific locations on where to purchase them.  I have attached the website and phone number in post #106 but here is also a list of locations where they can be purchased locally.  Looks like a couple of places in Montrose but the closest location is Ridgeway State Park that sells them.  Ridgeway State Park is only about 12 or so miles north of the campground we are staying at.
http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationLocations.aspx

Mike

zmotorsports said:
I would hate to have someone get cited and have to pay a fine so ultimately it is everyone's personal decision.

I completely agree with your comment above.

The question seems to be are we going to be on "designated OHV trails".  The lady at Fish & Game made a big point with respect to operation on such trails.  She indicated that there were not many in this area.  Most, if not all, of the trails we will be on are county roads.  They are not designated OHV trails.

The requirement says all OHVs and motor vehicles (including motorcycles) that display a valid Co​lo​rado or out-of -state license plate must also display a current Colorado OHV use permit sticker when operated on designated OHV trails in Colorado.

I am going to see if I can get a list of the "designated OHV trails".

Either way he $25.50 fee for the sticker is cheep insurance.

Bill

Steve N Dee said:
Mike,
  Do you know if the rental Jeep will already have the appropriate decals or do you think we need to purchase one also?

Steve

Steve,

I just talked to Debra at the KOA campground and she said the rental jeeps are all registered with the county and they didn't need a special sticker. She also mentioned they have been doing this for years and there hasn't been any issues.

Anita

I will have to give up my site.  I'm  happy to hand it off to someone here if you need it, otherwise I will call KOA shortly and cancel.  Too much going on this year, wish I could make it happen.

Photog said:
Either way he $25.50 fee for the sticker is cheep insurance

I am on the  board of  FMCA 4 Wheelers and have a leadership role in Keeping Our Trails Open, KOTO. The money from CO  permit goes into a very good cause  right back  into Colorado Trails.  If we are to  run the trails in  Colorado or anywhere in USA  for that  matter, there are costs involved in  upkeep on trails, signage, clean up  and maintenance.  I don't pay any taxes in Colorado, so I am happy to support the causes of keeping trails open for our off road experiences. My 2017 permit is happily in the glove box of our vehicle.  There is no such thing as a free ride!

Thanks Mike for researching the issue and allowing individuals to  make a choice to support trails or not.
BB

Our CO Permit arrived in the mail a couple of days ago.  Easy Peazy to get so no big deal to put a few dollars back into the CO trails that we will be using for the week.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.  Believe me I am getting so excited for August.  That will be our first RV trip since last August in Ouray and the first time I will have the Jeep off-road since last August in Ouray.  This has been a very, very long year but worth while.  Now to get back into PLAY mode with all of our RVing friends. ;D 

Chrystal and I are so looking forward to the rally.

Mike

DJStarr said:
I will have to give up my site.  I'm  happy to hand it off to someone here if you need it, otherwise I will call KOA shortly and cancel.  Too much going on this year, wish I could make it happen.

Dave, sorry you won't be able to make it.  But believe me, I understand how busy life can get at times.

Although maybe you should reread post # 100 as I laid out the ground rules. ;)

Mike

Updated attendees list:

1  Billings , Ralph & Diane      Ralph & Diane
2  Sirota, Jeff & Anita  60  Jeff and Anita  with guests Bradley & Mara (welcome).
3  Brewer, Terry & Betty  77  Betty Brewer
4  Weimert, Frank & Barb    95  FrankW
5  Wishard, Henry & Margaret  97  Henry Wishard
6  Dodd, Larry & Loretta    99  THE Big Larry
7  Roscoe, Bill  102  Photog
8  Zuech, Mike & Chrystal  108  ZMotorsports
9  Foster, Mike & Cindy
10  Falchini, Steve & Dee,  Steve N Dee
11  Fitzgerald, Jerry & Ardra,  ArdraF
12  Parks, Chet & Laurie,  Chet18013
13  Schneider, Lou    Lou Schnei
14  Ferguson, Gary & Coleen  taoshum

Looking forward to another great rally.

Mike & Chrystal

I'll have to tell my wife then.  Between Vegas, Hawaii, a few local camping trips (MN) and football in Oregon followed the next weekend with football in Pittsburgh.  I have been MANDATED to go to CO as well.  Fine with me but who will work to pay for all of this?

I have a dilemma. We will be attending this rally, but we also want to be in Torrington, NE by the 20th of APR to see the 21APR eclipse. It looks to be at least a 3 day drive from Ouray. To do both, We will have to cut the Ouray stay short by 3 days. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best route to take from Ouray to get north of Cheyenne  to Torrington in the time needed to see the eclipse.

Is there anyone else who is going to try to see the eclipse who is also going to Ouray?

Chet18013 said:
I have a dilemma. We will be attending this rally, but we also want to be in Torrington, NE by the 20th of APR to see the 21APR eclipse. 

Chet

The beauty of 4-wheeling in the Ouray area far out-weighs watching a live 3 min eclipse at least for me...Watch it on TV like the rest of us.<G>

Would Laurie rather see an eclipse or the beautiful upper alpine meadows filled with wild flowers?

Our Colorado OHV permit arrived in yesterday's mail.  8)

ArdraF

Our Colorado OHV sticker is applied to our Red Ryder and ready to depart.
All we need is for the D#*! MD's to turn us loose. . . One more appointment
for me, and two for Loretta.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Nothing serious just old folks stuff. . . . .

LoLa

Sounds like everyone is gearing up for the rally. ;D  We are no exception.  I haven't had the Jeep off-road since last August in Ouray and to say I am itching is a HUGE understatement.

Chrystal and I are getting ready to leave Friday night to head back east to pick up the coach and then will spend a few days around the Black Hills area on our way home.  This will be out first trip in the RV since Ouray last August as well. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone and relaxing.  We are trying to talk Jared into coming with us as well as he has some vacation he needs to use.

Mike

First trip of the season, I went over Engineer and Cinnamon passes Friday.  There is still a lot of snow and the flowers are just starting to bloom.  Also saw a moose - great trip.  :)  All of the trails should be open by rally time and there should be an abundance of pretty flowers!

Photog said:
First trip of the season, I went over Engineer and Cinnamon passes Friday.  There is still a lot of snow and the flowers are just starting to bloom.  Also saw a moose - great trip.  :)  All of the trails should be open by rally time and there should be an abundance of pretty flowers!

Awesome Bill.  Goes to show just how short the season is there.  When we are usually there the third week in August it is "technically" their off-season because the campground starts thinning out for the remainder of the year.  They also quit having their music and Bar-B-Que on Friday and Saturday nights at the campground but the trails are just getting good by about that time. ;D

Mike

The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music......I suggest everyone learn the words cause I'm gonna  sing!
::)

Back
Top Bottom