Ouray, Colorado August 12-19, 2017 Off-Road Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay everyone, I received a call back from Debra @ the Ouray KOA this afternoon to go over the details and we are good to go for our rally starting next Saturday night.

The campground has an excellent Bar-B-Que throughout the summer and Saturday night is the last night they will be having it so I would like to encourage everyone to plan on having some bar-b-que and supporting the campground.  They will also be having a live band on Saturday night (local band) that Debra told me is quite good.

We will be able to use the pavilion a couple of nights for the couple of group dinners that we will be having.  I believe Bill Roscoe is planning on doing his fish fry on Sunday night and then one night we thought we would do a grille night similar to what we did in Texas last year as it went over very well and was a lot of fun.  On these two nights we would ask for some side dishes and we may have to solicit a couple of extra grilles.  Everyone will be responsible for bringing their own meat and minding their own meat.  Again we tried this in Texas last year @ Big Bend and it turned out great and I think everyone really enjoyed the grilling, mingling and visiting at the campground vs. at a restaurant each night.  The reason I bring this is up is to inform everyone ahead of time to come prepared with meat and side dishes for those couple of nights.

The KOA also serves breakfast each morning at their Creekside Cafe and it too is quite good so if you want to grab a quick bite before we hit the trails that is an option.

The details of the entire week will be addressed and discussed upon the first night during happy hour as weather will play a big role on day to day activities so we will have a more solid plan once we get there.

Chrystal and I are looking forward to seeing everyone next week and we want everyone to travel safely.

Mike & Chrystal

Chet18013 said:
Mike,

Your list of attendees is missing Bill & Ruth Schadt who are coming from Vancouver, BC. They have a confirmed site-don't know the number. See my post of 7/27.

I apologize Chet, I must have missed that.

They have been added and are most welcome.

Thank you.

Updated attendees list:

1  Billings , Ralph & Diane      Ralph & Diane
2  Sirota, Jeff & Anita  60  Jeff and Anita  with guests Bradley & Mara (welcome).
3  Brewer, Terry & Betty  77  Betty Brewer
4  Weimert, Frank & Barb    95  FrankW
5  Wishard, Henry & Margaret  97  Henry Wishard
6  Dodd, Larry & Loretta    99  THE Big Larry
7  Roscoe, Bill  102  Photog
8  Zuech, Mike & Chrystal  108  ZMotorsports
9  Falchini, Steve & Dee,  Steve N Dee
10  Fitzgerald, Jerry & Ardra,  101  ArdraF
11  Parks, Chet & Laurie,  98  Chet18013
12  Schneider, Lou  59  Lou Schnei
13  Ferguson, Gary & Coleen  taoshum
14 Schadt, Bill & Ruth 

Mike

Chrystal and I are planning on leaving after work today which will allow us to arrive in Ouray around early afternoon on Saturday vs. our usual late afternoon arrival.

Let's plan on having a Meet & Greet/Happy Hour at our site (#108) tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon @ 4:00pm.  Site # 108 an end site just over the foot bridge from the office/Creekside Caf? walking northeast or if coming in the second driveway is the fist site on the left.

That should allow most everyone a chance to arrive at their site, get setup and leisurely arrive for Happy Hour.  At that time we can discuss the upcoming week's plans as Chrystal and I are "winging it" because we have been to Ouray quite a lot and want those that have not had the opportunity to go get the most out of the area.  Weather will play a role in what trails we do on what days so we will discuss and come up with a game plan at Saturday's Happy Hour, although that game plan will still be in Jello. ;D

The campground will be having a Bar-B-Que dinner and live music tomorrow night as it is the last one of the season for them so I would like to encourage everyone to try it as it is very good.  This should allow us to finish up Happy Hour early enough to eat some dinner and then resume the BSing. ;)

Lastly, I would like to inform anyone traveling with large RV towing that if you turn in the first driveway to the KOA, the turn is very tight at the office and you will more than likely be unhooking at the office.  If you know you are going to be in the north section, which is sites 63-108 you will eventually be entering from the next entrance (north) after checking in, you may opt to park in the gravel area across the street from the main entrance and walk to the office.  This is generally what Chrystal and I do.

Chrystal and I are looking forward to seeing everyone and wish all safe travels.

Mike & Chrystal

Brewers have arrived. Site 77.  Friday at 12:30

Ditto what  Mike said about NOT turning into the KOA Driveway by office.  Instead pull over in large gravel lot next to driveway entrance and walk to office.  Will save you a tight turn in front of office.

Steve and Dee have arrived, late as usual  :p  e are in site 102 just for tonight, then we move to site 76 for the remainder of the week.  Definitely leave your rig across the street from the entrance as others have said.  Either walk in or come in your toad. Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

We made it as far as Green River tonight after leaving work this afternoon.

We're sitting here watching a pretty impressive lightning storm to the south. Unfortunately we drove through a cloud burst of about 2-miles, just enough to get the coach and Jeep filthy.

We will see everyone tomorrow.

Mike & Chrystal

We're in Moab and will look for the gravel area across from the office!  Mike our motorhome and Jeep were nice and clean when we left home.  No longer!  See you all tomorrow in site 101.

ArdraF

I'm still in Pahrump.  I set a pretty ambitious schedule to get moved into my space in the SKP park this week, and it proved to be too much in the heat we've been having.  Most days were between 105 and 108 with overnight lows in the upper 80s to 90s and that was just too hot to get much done.

Yesterday afternoon I crashed and burned, I was going to get a new house battery before heading out but instead I didn't do much today except stay indoors under the A/C and get myself rehydrated.

I'm feeling much better now.  Hopefully I can get an early start in the morning and be there Saturday night or early on Sunday.

Gary and Coleen in site 61-C. 

FWIW, I made a track for tomorrow.  Mike can use or not at he wants.  Note Co Road 23 will go to Ridgeway on the other side of the river.  The hiway toward Telluride follows Ridgeway then south to the Ophir Pass Road which goes over to Hiway 550.  I added a loop off 550 on the way back to Ouray that I know nothing about.

I have some really good maps on my laptop if needed.

G.

Attachments

• Ouray RV F.gpx
    21.9 KB · Views: 12
Well this  RVForum Rally has officially begun.  Having arrived yesterday, Terry and I  watched rigs arrive, park, turn around and park again today. A few of us ventured into Ridgeway Co for their Arts fair and a market run this afternoon. At 4 pm Mike and Chrystal graciously welcomed the big group (14 couples I think)  to Ouray Colorado during  Happy  Hour.  We made plans for  our off road adventures Sunday with  a  9 am departure.

Happily we  have  a few "new*"  RVForum members in our group. We always love new members so we can tell the same old stories over and over again!  Steve has a rental Jeep with windows! We see a Jeep in his future pending his enjoyment of the experience.  Most attended the KOA  Bar B Que tonight and finale of evening was  a rousing HAPPY BIRTHDAY song to dear friend Henry . Cake was spread all around! 

I'm off to make lunch for our 9 am departure!

* members part of RVForum less than 10 years!

Heard  Lou will arrive Monday. 

Sadly Bill Roscoe will  not  be in attendance  at our  rally.  He rushed away from CO for  a family health emergency (with  hopefully good news he can share) .  But the fish he caught in Alaska was distributed among members at Happy hour this afternoon.  So bring  your side tomorrow  and we will eat fresh FISH!

Thanks Bill!

Love this group. 

BB

Happy Hour was followed by some BBQ and Live Music in the KOA Cafe.

That was followed by celebrating Henry's Birthday.  A good time was had by all.
We're missing Bill Roscoe who could not attend, and Lou Schneider who has not arrived yet.

Tomorrow is Ophir Pass.  Should be 12 or 13 Jeeps on the run.  Let's Roll !  !

Attachments

• RIMG_0870.jpg
    RIMG_0870.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 42
  • RIMG_0871.jpg
    RIMG_0871.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 39
  • RIMG_0872.jpg
    RIMG_0872.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 39
Here are some tracks to load for Monday... I'm not sure where we are going... other than Lake City but these tracks could be helpful once we are out there and looking to make a correct turn...  Use as you see fit.

Attachments

• Engineer Rd.gpx
    159.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Ouray to Lake City.gpx
    26.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Silverton to Engineer Pass.gpx
    14.8 KB · Views: 6
I'm here, in site 59 but I'm totally wiped out and will be hitting the sack momentarily.

What's on the agenda for tomorrow?

Lou

Please, someone, wake him up tomorrow early just for old time's sake.  Remind him of his RV Forum "Moms" from 20 years ago waking him up to be sure "our boy" was safe.  ;D ;D ;D

Hi Lou!  Glad you arrived okay.  The group left at 9:00 a.m. on a long four-wheeling day. We didn't go today.  Chet and Bill turned around and were back early.  Chet said the Brewers got back and the others stopped in Silverton for dinner.  They're not back yet so no word about what's planned for tomorrow.  We're using CB channel 39.  Saturday On Friday we'll have a grill-your-own meat and bring a side dish to share.

ArdraF

I know 9 am is departure time for maybe Yankee  Boy?  Mike told us which runs but I forget.  We will have  2 rental vehicles on the run.

Welcome Lou, but I am NOT going to wake you  up.  Line up with lunch , chairs  at the second exit to  KOA.  See ya  in morning.

It was a  BIG day full of  scenery and special moments.  HAIL,Hail the gangs all here.  Hailed on us during lunch!

BB

Back
Top Bottom