Ouray, Colorado August 12-19, 2017 Off-Road Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a few photos from the first two days of the Ouray Rally. We have 13 Jeeps that have been making daily runs around the many trails around Ouray and Silverton here in Colorado. So far we have gone up above the tree line to a maximum height of 12,890 feet. Needless to say the air is a bit thinner there.

Attachments

• DSCN0128.jpg
    DSCN0128.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC03073.jpg
    DSC03073.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0151.jpg
    DSCN0151.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC03097.jpg
    DSC03097.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0198 2.jpg
    DSCN0198 2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 34
We rented a Jeep to join in this rally.  Now we are both hooked.  What a great 3 days of Jeeping we have had.  Sadly, tomorrow is our last rental day.  But we have been offered back seat accommodations from many Forum Framily members.  These people are the best and have made out first Jeeping experience fabulous.  Thanks Mike N Chrystal for organizing this!  Here are some photos from our first 3 days.

Attachments

• jeeping ouray 4.jpg
    jeeping ouray 4.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 25
  • ouray jeeping 9.jpg
    ouray jeeping 9.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 24
  • jeeping ouray 3.jpg
    jeeping ouray 3.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 17
  • ouray jeeping 11.jpg
    ouray jeeping 11.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 28
  • ouray jeeping 12.jpg
    ouray jeeping 12.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 22
  • ouray jeeping 7.jpg
    ouray jeeping 7.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 21
  • jeeping ouray 1.jpg
    jeeping ouray 1.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 19
  • jeeping ouray 2.jpg
    jeeping ouray 2.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 18
  • ouray jeeping 5.jpg
    ouray jeeping 5.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 21
  • ouray jeeping 8.jpg
    ouray jeeping 8.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 21
  • ouray jeeping 6.jpg
    ouray jeeping 6.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 21
  • ouray jeeping 10.jpg
    ouray jeeping 10.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 30
Perhaps a helpful track for tomorrow... Ouray to Telluride track shows the path to reach Yankee Boy or Gov Basins.

Attachments

• Ouray to Telluride Immogene.gpx
    47.7 KB · Views: 7
Well, here's a few more photos from our Ouray adventures. This area is unbelievable!! Today we went from 7300' to 12,227' and back and had lunch at 11,900' looking over an alpine valley. After lunch we went on to the summit and came around the corner to a whole slope above the tree line that was filled with probably 500+ sheep grazing in the alpine meadow. While on the trail we could look across the valley and see Hwy 550 and I caught a motor home going up the 8% toward the summit. I also managed to get a good shot of one of the local residents eating lunch.

If you have the chance, Ouray MUST be on your bucket list to visit. If you don't have a Jeep, RENT one for at least 3-4 days. There must be at least 6-10 Jeep rental places in town

Attachments

• LAN_9287.jpg
    LAN_9287.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 22
  • LAN_9288.jpg
    LAN_9288.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 22
  • LAN_9296.jpg
    LAN_9296.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 26
  • LAN_9321.jpg
    LAN_9321.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 23
  • LAN_9309.jpg
    LAN_9309.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 25
  • LAN_9327.jpg
    LAN_9327.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 27
  • LAN_9347.jpg
    LAN_9347.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for the pictures Chet.  There are times that I miss being on the road and this place and Framily is one of those times.  Sounds like you are all having a great time.  Greetings to all.

Lorna, we miss having you with us too!  This is a beautiful area.

ArdraF

The fun continues. Wish  I had  enough time to share all the moments and laughs.  So here we were on Wednesday pm . Mike and Chrystal continue  to provide leadership for our Ouray, Colorado trails. No small task to follow the maps, navigate the correct turns and still stay married!

Line up at 9 am today was for Yankee Boy and Governors Basin. It was the  Rental Jeeps' last two days. CB radio reports  Henry has an indicator  light, Mike  jumps in with his indicator "tool" to help.  Gary and Colleen run ahead to  ensure they can make their scheduled hot springs spa treatments. 

25 minutes later  Henry stayed behind so as to not hold up the group. as some light was still blinking. this technical reporting is WAY beyond my expertise.  The group got underway on a day of spectacular weather and wonderful new found  friends.  Henry later shared his problem to be something about  Sway bar  module. ( I never ever claimed to  be an expert in those blue job things.)

BLACK BEAR  run tomorrow is at  9 am .  Today ,Wednesday, Jerry  and Ardra walked the Dennis Weaver  Memorial  to Ridgeway Trail Both ways. (3 miles round trip )  They recommend the walk  on Friday our day off!  I see lotsa shopping on Friday.

The fun continues. Wish  I had  enough time to share all the moments and laughs.  So here we were on Wednesday pm . Mike and Chrystal continue  to provide leadership for our Ouray, Colorado trails. No small task to follow the maps, navigate the correct turns and still stay married!

Line up at 9 am today was for Yankee Boy and Governors Basin. It was the  Rental Jeeps' last two days. CB radio reports  Henry has an indicator  light, Mike  jumps in with his indicator "tool" to help.  Gary and Colleen run ahead to  ensure they can make their scheduled hot springs spa treatments. 

25 minutes later  Henry stayed behind so as to not hold up the group. as some light was still blinking. this technical reporting is WAY beyond my expertise.  The group got underway on a day of spectacular weather and wonderful new found  friends.  Henry later shared his problem to be something about  Sway bar  module. ( I never ever claimed to  be an expert in those blue job things.)

BLACK BEAR  run tomorrow is at  9 am .  Today ,Wednesday, Jerry  and Ardra walked the Dennis Weaver  Memorial  to Ridgeway Trail Both ways. (3 miles round trip )  They recommend the walk  on Friday our day off!  I see lotsa shopping on Friday.

Well Frank and Barb took a turn at leading trails today. Eight mighty jeeps off road vehicles ran  Black Bear and Imogene Pass today.  Many wondered  about  Lou ( who was 2 minutes late to  departure today and almost missed us) In his defense an RV decided to hook up in the road in front of him delaying his departure! 

He runs in a  1984 Bronco with street tires and was the hero of the day  as his driving skills  managed  him to negotiate every turn, obstacle and bump  of the road today.  We watched out for him in Awe!  Lunch in a Telluride Park was lovely.

Got  back  after  4 o'clock Happy hour had begun (around 4:30 pm)  yet no complaints from participants on the run.  At Happy hour  we praised Lou, made  some  rough plans for tomorrow, Friday  day off we will all enjoy!  6 pm  BBq bring your own sides in the pavilion area. Sadly Frank and Barb will leave  Friday to attend to  leaking tire issues on motorhome.  Something ya gotta do to your home!

Love our new RVForum friends and the  small  groups we get to  enjoy!

Margaret and I plan to walk the Weaver Memorial trail in morning at the decent hour of leaving our KOA at  11 am.  We plan to walk one way and  have lunch in Ridgeway  for  anyone who wants to join us.    Planning  to have  Henry  take us back to  camp or lunch?

Let us know if you plan to join us so we can  group up.
BB

Vintage Lou!  Ya gotta love that guy.  He's always a hero and one of the most knowledgeable and helpful guys on the planet.  ;D

Aw, thanks guys!

Actually, my vehicle is a 1986 Ford Bronco II.  It's the original compact SUV, while the full sized Bronco was a shortened Ford F150 pickup.

It's dimensions (length, width, ground clearance) are about the same as the original WWII Willys Jeep.  It weighs about 1000 lbs. less than the current Jeeps, which cancels out some of the disadvantages of running street tires.

It's main disadvantage is it doesn't have quite as much ground clearance as the Jeeps.  I scraped bottom a couple of times today, but the skid plate protected the critical parts.  The only damage was to the towbar electrical connector, which was mounted underneath the tow bar baseplate.  When I replace it tomorrow I'll move it above the baseplate.

In 1988, Consumer Reports gave it's first "Not Acceptable" rating to the Bronco II because it has a tendency to lift the inside rear wheel on sharp, high speed turns.  If you drive reasonably it's fine.  Ford decided to discontinue it and the used prices dropped through the floor.

Until a few years ago you could buy a Bronco II for a song.  I bought one up in WA state 10 years ago in perfectly good condition for $1500.  I gave it to my stepson after the divorce, and 4 years ago I bought the one I have now for $4000 all set up and ready to flat tow.

Now the millennials are re-discovering the Bronco II.  I turned down an offer to buy it when I was in LA, and last night I drove by a group of young people in Silverton and heard a girl say to her boyfriend, "Now that's the kind of Jeep I want."  :)

Betty, we'd like to re-do the Dennis Weaver trail with you!  Sounds fun and, if the weather is as nice tomorrow as it was yesterday, it will be gorgeous!  Shall we line up like for a trail ride at 11:00?

ArdraF

Thanks for the Pictures!!  Beautiful! Some of them look like painted pictures.

We will rent a jeep and do this next year if the forum gets together again.  Really hated missing this one.

Robin & Charles

PS: More pictures please :D

About 10 miles north of Ouray is the Dennis Weaver park.  We just found out about it after dinner tonight and we jumped in the Jeep and ran up there. I was lucky and was able to get this photo of the main attraction just as the sun hit the top of the mountains to the west and gave me this perfect light.

Attachments

• LAN_9358.jpg
    LAN_9358.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 33
  • LAN_9351.jpg
    LAN_9351.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 27
some pics...

Attachments

• Ouray RVF (1)S.jpg
    Ouray RVF (1)S.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Ouray RVF (2)S.jpg
    Ouray RVF (2)S.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Ouray RVF (3)S.jpg
    Ouray RVF (3)S.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Ouray RVF (4)S.jpg
    Ouray RVF (4)S.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Ouray RVF (5)S.jpg
    Ouray RVF (5)S.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Ouray RVF (6)S.jpg
    Ouray RVF (6)S.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 23
The last meal has been cooked and the dishes are done.  It has been a great get together/rally.
Mike & Chrystal as always are great hosts.  I can't say enough superlatives about this couple.
Thanks guys.  It's always fun when you're around.  We look forward to our next meeting when ever
that may be.  Give Jared a big hug for us and tell him he needs to travel more. . . . .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom