Ouray, Colorado August 12-19, 2017 Off-Road Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Becks said:
Hey Mike, thanks for the holiday wishes. We and some of the folks on the Ouray list are spending Thanksgiving week jeeping in Fort Mac Dowell, AZ. We all sure missed seeing you guys in Moab, but know you were involved in an exciting endeavor. You guys take care, and have a great holiday.

Gary

Thanks Gary.  I appreciate that.  Tip one back for us and we will definitely have to catch up in the New Year.

Mike.

Hey Mike, I didn't see our name on the list?  Did we not make the cut?  ;)  Just kidding, hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving.  Can't wait to see you in Ouray!

Steve

Mike, we weren't active on the forum for a while and missed seeing your Ouray discussion until much later.  When I finally got a chance to check the KOA site it said the larger sites were taken.  Is there any chance we might still get on a list?  I think you said it's a relatively small campground so maybe not.  It sounds like a fun rally.

ArdraF

Ardra,

If you can't get into the KOA campground, try Ridgway State Park (reservations no more than 6 months in advance), as it's less than half an hour from Ouray. There may be other campgrounds in the area, too. Allstay's shows some other, commercial, campgrounds around, also, that are even closer.

Update to everyone.  Here is the list in .pdf format for everyone.

If you see anything that needs correcting let me know.  We're looking forward
to doing this.  We have cancelled out on some fall/winter Jeepin and we're grumbling
about it.  Time to get going again.

THE Big Larry & Loretta  aka  "Team LoLa". . .

Attachments

• Ouray Attendance.pdf
    127.5 KB · Views: 21
Ardra

We are in site 77 which is a back-in...It is the same site we had this year and had no problems fitting, you might try & see if ant sites close to that are available.

ArdraF said:
Mike, we weren't active on the forum for a while and missed seeing your Ouray discussion until much later.  When I finally got a chance to check the KOA site it said the larger sites were taken.  Is there any chance we might still get on a list?  I think you said it's a relatively small campground so maybe not.  It sounds like a fun rally.

ArdraF

Closer into Ouray is a nice open campground, Ouray RV Park and Cabins.
http://www.ourayrvpark.com/cabins-sites/
I never stayed there, but have driven into it and it looks OK, but then I like open sites - not in the trees. Probably the downside would be some road noise. It gets good reviews.
We have stayed at Ridgway SP several times. Good location for us to vista Ridgway, Montrose, Ouray and Telluride.

The  KOA was  very accommodating for us last summer.  We called in February as we wanted to camp in August. They were full, they put us on a waiting  list and notified us when a cancellation  happened.  We got in.  So  just ask to  be  on a wait list.

Steve N Dee said:
Hey Mike, I didn't see our name on the list?  Did we not make the cut?  ;)  Just kidding, hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving.  Can't wait to see you in Ouray!

Steve

Sorry Steve, my bad.  I completely overlooked it.  I thought your name was already on the list and when I posted up Foster's name I merely cut and paste the list.  Sorry, you made the cut, just my bad.

Mike.

ArdraF said:

ArdraF

Ardra, I would still get on the waiting list as they routinely have cancellations throughout the year and even some of their non "big rig friendly" sites are still large enough to fit a 40-footer in quite easily.  Worse case scenario there are a couple of other parks nearby as mentioned.  Personally I think there will be enough cancellations throughout the year that you will be able to get in.  There are a couple of larger groups that seem to be there that same week each year and I am sure they have people cancel.

Mike.

THEBigLarry said:
Update to everyone.  Here is the list in .pdf format for everyone.

If you see anything that needs correcting let me know.  We're looking forward
to doing this.  We have cancelled out on some fall/winter Jeepin and we're grumbling
about it.  Time to get going again.

THE Big Larry & Loretta  aka  "Team LoLa". . .

Thanks for updating the list Larry.

As for having to cancel some wheelin' trips this fall, we are in the same boat and I am itchin' to get offroad.  Unfortunately it probably won't be until late spring/early summer until we are able to. :'(

Looking forward to seeing everyone and it should be a great time.

Mike.

We're looking forward to this rally. Laurie and I have site 58A, the last 50A back in one Debra has. She is amazed that she's had so many calls in such a short time. She says that if there are any folks who can live with a 30A site and who would be willing to give up the 50 A site to one of the big rigs, please call her. In the meantime if you need a 50A site, please call ASAP and get on the wait list.

Great to hear there has been so much activity for this rally.  We're really looking forward to it.  There are quite a few more than Chrystal and I had originally thought would attend.  This is GREAT!!

The way things are looking it may be the only time we get out next year.

Here is an updated attendees list:

1  Beard, John & Susan      Oscar Mike
2  Billings , Ralph & Diane      Ralph & Diane
3  Sirota, Jeff & Anita  60  Jeff and Anita
4  Brewer, Terry & Betty  77  Betty Brewer
5  Weimert, Frank & Barb    95  FrankW
6  Wishard, Henry & Margaret  97  Henry Wishard
7  Beckers, Gary & Darlene  98  Becks
8  Dodd, Larry & Loretta    99  THE Big Larry
9  Weston, Diane & Marty    101  SargeW
10  Roscoe, Bill  102  Photog
11  Zuech, Mike & Chrystal  108  ZMotorsports
12  Starr, Dave    ?            DJStarr
13  Foster, Mike & Cindy
14  Falchini, Steve & Dee,  Steve N Dee
15  Fitzgerald, Jerry & Ardra,  ArdraF
16  *****, Chet & Laurie,  Chet18013

It's shaping up to be quite a group.

Hope everyone has a fantastic and safe holiday season.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Mike & Chrystal (and Jared)

Yeaaa!  Jerry got us a reservation via their website.  Don't know the number of the site yet - but we've made some progress!  ;D

ArdraF

Add me to the list, Mike!  August 11-20.  Reservation via the website, don't have a number yet.

Lou

We have had our reservations for a while now, but I have a dilemma. Our local Jeep club has decided to do the Jeep Jamboree's Rubicon Trail during the same time period as this Rally. I am torn between the two, and since I cannot be in two places at one time I have to make my final decision by 12/7/2016, the Jeep Jamboree Registration Day.

I really want to be in Colorado as this will be a once in a lifetime rally with friends I get to seldom see, and at the same time (literally) I have a chance to do the Rubicon with several of my friends from our local Jeep Club.

Decisions, decisions.

ArdraF said:
Yeaaa!  Jerry got us a reservation via their website.  Don't know the number of the site yet - but we've made some progress!  ;D

ArdraF

Great news Ardra.  Glad you got a site.

Mike.

Lou Schneider said:
Add me to the list, Mike!  August 11-20.  Reservation via the website, don't have a number yet.

Lou

Great Lou.  Glad you will be able to join us, it's been a while since I've been able to see you at a rally.

Here is an updated attendees list:

1  Beard, John & Susan      Oscar Mike
2  Billings , Ralph & Diane      Ralph & Diane
3  Sirota, Jeff & Anita  60  Jeff and Anita
4  Brewer, Terry & Betty  77  Betty Brewer
5  Weimert, Frank & Barb    95  FrankW
6  Wishard, Henry & Margaret  97  Henry Wishard
7  Beckers, Gary & Darlene  98  Becks
8  Dodd, Larry & Loretta    99  THE Big Larry
9  Weston, Diane & Marty    101  SargeW
10  Roscoe, Bill  102  Photog
11  Zuech, Mike & Chrystal  108  ZMotorsports
12  Starr, Dave    ?            DJStarr
13  Foster, Mike & Cindy
14  Falchini, Steve & Dee,  Steve N Dee
15  Fitzgerald, Jerry & Ardra,  ArdraF
16  *****, Chet & Laurie,  Chet18013
17  Schneider, Lou    Lou Schneider

Mike.

John Beard said:
We have had our reservations for a while now, but I have a dilemma. Our local Jeep club has decided to do the Jeep Jamboree's Rubicon Trail during the same time period as this Rally. I am torn between the two, and since I cannot be in two places at one time I have to make my final decision by 12/7/2016, the Jeep Jamboree Registration Day.

I really want to be in Colorado as this will be a once in a lifetime rally with friends I get to seldom see, and at the same time (literally) I have a chance to do the Rubicon with several of my friends from our local Jeep Club.

Decisions, decisions.

I understand John.  Keep us posted.

As for the Jeeper's Jamboree, have you been before or talked to anyone who has actually been to one of their rallies?  Several members of our local Jeep club went last year and were surprisingly disappointed in the Jeeper's Jamboree format and lack of organization.  They compared it to a "grown-ups rave party" as each night it was a drunken party with multiple occurrences involving local law enforcement having to get involved due to drugs and confrontations even up to and involving life flighting several people out due to being drunk and falling and getting injured.  We have some pretty hard partiers in our local Jeep club and they were very surprised that even on the trails people were drinking.  That is something that we do NOT tolerate nor allow in our local club while on the trails, if you want to drink afterwards fine but not on the trail.  Evidently one of the spotters were quite intoxicated while on the trail one day.

I'm not necessarily trying to discourage you John, I am merely reporting back from our local clubs recap on the Jamboree last year.  They had been so excited for a once in a lifetime trip and came back very disappointed in the whole experience.  It came up again at last month's club meeting about the registration and who was planning on going and no one wanted to.  They talked about teaming up with another club that goes more frequently and is familiar with the trail and going on our own rather than the Jeeper's Jamboree.

Mike.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom