You have all been very helpful, thanks. Another newbie question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swilleford

Does anyone know if you are pulling an open trailer with a motorcycle on it, if you need brakes on trailer when pulling with class A motor home? ???

That depends (legally) on the weight rating of the trailer. For example in home state a trailer 1000lbs and over has to have brakes. Mysteriously most small single axle trailers seem to be rated at 995  ::) Our PWC trailer purchased new with two 800lb PWCs was rated at 995. Anything we tow them with has plenty of power to tow and stop so no worries.

What are you towing with and how much do the trailer and m/c weigh?

Thanks HD4,  Have a 1998 Newmar Dutch Star with diesel  5.9L  cummins,  My VTX 1800 Trike I would guess at about 1200 pounds.  I have a 5 x 8 open cargo trailer, but when Trike is loaded, about 1/2 of the back Wheels stick out the back.  Hauled it from Birmingham Alabama back to Kentucky, but don't think I would use this trailer....swayed a lot.  Great advice on trailer weight.  Hope those are regs in most states as we are going to Oregon mid-September. 

..swayed a lot.

That could be because you didn't have enough of the weight on the tongue. 10% of the trailer weight is a bare minimum, and 11-13% much more desirable. This can be cured by moving weight forward (weight distribution is very important), but sounds as if that's not feasible unless you back the trike on to the trailer. And with 1200 lbs plus trailer weight, I expect you'll (legally, as well as practically) need brakes.

Yeah, trailer would ride better with the trike sitting backwards. Definitely need to shift CoG forward a bit.

State regs vary from 1000# to 3000# as the max weight for any trailer before trailer brakes are required.  Note that the state you are in when driving may enforce their laws!  Because you were legal at home does not matter.

I recently had a car die in FL, and we towed it home on a  dolly without brakes behind a rental box truck - empty truck!  I drove enough without the car to notice a HUGE difference in stopping distance with the 3400# car attached.  IMHO, you will be much happier with trailer brakes!  Besides, it is the law.

Back
Top Bottom