Campground suggestion short drive from Oakland CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solly

Hi,

Looking for suggestions for last night stay no more than 2 hours' drive from Oakland CA on way from Yosemite at end of holiday in rental rv.  Not too urban if possible!  First trip to West Coast from UK and pleased to hear your advice. Solly

solly said:
Hi,

Looking for suggestions for last night stay no more than 2 hours' drive from Oakland CA on way from Yosemite at end of holiday in rental rv.  Not too urban if possible!  First trip to West Coast from UK and pleased to hear your advice. Solly

My suggestion would be somewhere on the 580 from Stockton, CA. Don't know about the park at all, but I read of one in Livermore, CA (the Del Valle - (510) 562-2267). That would put you about an hour from Oakland as you continue West on the 580. You are on the more inexpensive and less congested side of the mountain to Oakland in that area and Livermore would be very easy to get round in.

A bit farther away, but a "first" stop for rentals out of Oakland is in the Santa Nella area. There are two parks there -- the San Luis RV Resort and the Santa Nella park. Both are in the "OK" but not plush category. I have stayed in both parks and found them OK for an overnite stay and very reasonable compared to any park in the SF bay area. You would then continue on the 152 over the Pacheco pass to 101 North to San Jose, then pick up the 880 to Oakland. If not during rush hour traffic, it would be within your 2 hour limit.

A major consideration on any route in that area is traffic. For example, getting to Oakland/SF from Livermore during rush hour would be a zoo. I would not do either route until at least mid AM. There is "no way" around that situation in the Bay Area, regardless of where you stay.

Solly,

The Livermore suggestion is a bit out in the sticks, so it's definitely rural. Del Valle is a regional park (also designated a state recreation area), approx 7 miles from town and 6 miles from anything. We've stayed there a few times, but that was in the 80's (1980's that is). There's a nice lake in the park and, if you're into fishing or boating, you can rent a boat and explore the lake. Summer time there are a couple of beaches for swimming. There are also great walking/nature trails. If you're into wine, Livermore has 25+ wineries and you'd pass some of them en route to Del Valle.

When we first moved to Livermore in 1990 it was what I called a 1-horse town, with nothing to speak of on the main street apart from my barber who'd been there 30 years, a western wear store, a saloon and a bar & grill. The town has changed significantly over the last 10 years and you now find a few decent restaurants, including a couple of Italian places. The bar & grill is still there and has a live group on weekends. But you really should wear your cowboy hat and boots to fit in with the locals. Some of the wineries have good restaurants, by far the best being the one at Wente Brothers winery, just around the corner from our prior home.

With advance notice, you could tour the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory on the outskirts of town and not far from where you'd turn towards Del Valle. But they require a couple of weeks notice for foreign nationals.

If you were there in June, Livermore hosts an annual rodeo, quite an event if you haven't seen one live.

A little trivia for you ... the town of Livermore is named after Robert Livermore, an Englishman. You can read more about it here.

Thanks for the suggestions Bob and Tom.  Either Santa Nella or Livermore look like they would be good locations for our last night before packing up and taking the rv back. Has anyone actually stayed at Del Valle near Livermore who could tell me more about the campground please?  I like the idea of a short drive to Oakland especially if morning traffic is busy.

Solly,

What exactly do you need to know about the campground? We've stayed there several times, but it's been a few years. However, we've driven in there for a quick look several times since then and I've taken folks fishing on the lake.

Don't expect a fancy campground. They have 150 camp sites, 21 of them with water and sewer hookups (no electric) and they have a dump station for those sites without sewer hookups. I'd call it rustic. Lots of trees and a very nice setting. There will be plenty of room in almost any of the sites for your rental RV.

Park rangers are on duty and patrol the campground, so it's quite safe.

What time of year do you plan to be there? The reason I ask is that they get busy during the summer and full on holidays. IIRC they have a reservation system, but you wouldn't need reservations at this time of year.

Oops, almost forgot to mention that they have a number of bathrooms around the campground.

[edit]Corrected hookup status using info from their web site.[/edit]

Hi Solly:

Another thought on the idea of coming up 101 from the 152 over the Pacheco pass from Santa Nella. There "are" parks in the West side of the mountain on 152, but the prices begin to get ridiculous. However, there is a park in Hollister, CA that is right on the 152 on the West side of the pass. That would cut some time off your trip up to Oakland. And -- Hollister is the Earthquake Capital of CA, so you might get lucky and experience a 5 or 6 during your stay. :)

The park name is the Casa de Fruta. This site quotes $30/night for 2 adults -- but their official site posts $34/night. Either way, that is probably $10 or more than the parks in Santa Nella. The parks on 101 going up through Morgan Hill South of San Jose are completely out of sight price wise. I stopped at one park in that area and they wanted $75/night.

And still another alternative. i was not aware of any parks in Pleasanton, CA -- but it appears there is an RV park as part of the Alameda County Fairgrounds. Here is their website. You will find a link on this page to their RV park. The prices are very reasonable for the area -- and this would put you a bit closer to Oakland. Pleasanton is very close to the 580 into the Bay Area, and West of Livermore. Unfortunately, I have no other knowledge of that park aside from what I read on their website.

Solly,

Bob's suggestion of the Alameda County fairgrounds in Pleasanton is not a bad one. I've delayed addding to it because you may not be familiar with fairgrounds camping and I'm having a tough time explaining it.

First let me say that the location is pretty good, from three perspectives:

• It's close to the I-680 freeway and only one or two exits from I-580 that you'll take to head to Oakland.
  • It's very close to the old downtown Pleasanton, which is a neat little town with lots of little shops, coffee shops and other nooks and crannies. There's even a British pub on the main street, albeit a little small.
  • If you really want to visit wineries, it's only a hop, skip and a jump to Livermore.

The fairgrounds are basically a large field with gravel &/or tarmac roads running through them. If there's no event going on, you're likely to find yourself camping alone. But, if there is an event scheduled, you'll need reservations or some other way to snag your campsite.

There will probably be water and electric hookups, but probably not sewer.

I've never stayed at these campgrounds (after all, I lived not far away), but have visited and passed them numerous times. About the best I can say is that you shouldn't expect a "campground", but there's nowt wrong with the place.

Tom said:
Solly,

Bob's suggestion of the Alameda County fairgrounds in Pleasanton is not a bad one. I've delayed addding to it because you may not be familiar with fairgrounds camping and I'm having a tough time explaining it.

First let me say that the location is pretty good, from three perspectives:

• It's close to the I-680 freeway and only one or two exits from I-580 that you'll take to head to Oakland.
  • It's very close to the old downtown Pleasanton, which is a neat little town with lots of little shops, coffee shops and other nooks and crannies. There's even a British pub on the main street, albeit a little small.
  • If you really want to visit wineries, it's only a hop, skip and a jump to Livermore.

I perform on occasion at the Pleasanton Hotel in downtown Pleasanton as part of the Gibson House Murder Mystery troupe.  I can confirm that downtown Pleasanton is a lovely place.

Irv

Irv,

I forgot about the old hotel, at the "other end" of the main street. Nice place and they also do a nice Sunday brunch. Didn't realize you perform there.

Tom and Bob, have had a busy week so didn't have time before now to think about your new suggestions!  Thanks for all the input.  Very much appreciated.  Have decided to go with Del Valle.  I like the sound of the trees and nice setting, hot showers and the short drive to Oakland.  We will be there at the end of August so I will book to be on the safe side but have checked and can only book 12 weeks ahead. I've put a reminder in my diary!

Irv, thanks also.  Sorry won't get to visit Pleasanton.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom