Flat Towing Toyota?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikasdads

anyone towing a Toyota or Lexus vehicle 4 Down with a drive line disconnect?  Any Problems or concerns? I've seen a few Tundras, FJ Cruisers, and Sequoias on the road so I know someone is doing it. 

The best source of that sort of information that I know of is: http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php  Enter your vehicle information on the Remco website and it will instantly tell you if towing a particular vehicle is possible and what changes (such as drive shaft disconnects) are necessary.  I have found the site to be very reliable.

yes, i think i look at that site at least once a week.  Just curious about the reliability of the disconnect system, i've heard mixed reviews. 

From what I have read here and elsewhere over the years, the  Driveshaft Disconnect seems quite reliable when properly installed. The problems I have read about all get resolved when a competent shop gets involved to make sure it is aligned and balanced properly. That seems to mean a shop that specializes in drive line work, not an RV dealer.

The only other thing I recall is a vulnerability to severe road salt and dirt, like maybe winter driving in the northern states. Might require flushing, lube, etc. in that environment. I don't know if that is a common problem or not.

I have a driveline disconnect for my Tacoma. Like Gary says it is best to take it to someone that knows drivelines. Mine was done at a driveline shop. I have to get under the truck to manually disconnect the ring on the driveline. I have heard of a lot of problems with the disconnect cable being ran into the cab. Also the shop would only do the manual install.

Zero problems so far, about 3,000 tow miles.

I towed a 2007 4 door Tacoma with a disconnect.  The only problem I ever had was mine NOT the equipment.  I took the baseplate and disconnect off prior to selling the truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom