Gray water questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJC

We picked up a 2009 Coleman Bayside CP 14 footer a few months ago.  We have had nothing but great experiences with it and can't wait to get out for a few more night.  We are trying to figure out the gray water drain on the camper and would like to be able to hook it to the sewage pipe if we are on a full service lot.  I have been looking at different adapters on amazon and wondering if you guys could tell me if they would work.

Would this be our best choice to hook our gray water hose to the sewage hook-up?
  https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39322-Water-Sewer-Fitting/dp/B0002F676O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472403080&sr=8-3&keywords=RV+gray+water 

Would this allow us to hook the gray water hose to the side of our camper?
  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006MTREC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0006MTREC&linkCode=as2&tag=typetwofun04-20&linkId=MGBPZPOCX73KAML5

For a hose we use the gray color hose that looks just like our white potable water hose.

Also would it be a good idea to run a very small amount of bleach and hot water through the sink to clean everything out after each use, or at the end of the year?

Those fittings should work just fine.

There's no need to try to sanitize the waste water system in the camper. Just make sure to use plenty of water to flush out any solids that may have accumulated in the tank.

I just leave the regular sewer hose (stinky slinky) hooked up all the time. I also leave the gray tank drain valves open all the time. Except when I'm ready to dump the black tank, I shut the gray tank valves 2 days before and utilize that water to flush out the sewer hose after dumping the black tank. Others will disagree as far as leaving the gray valves open all the time.

Just to clarify things for people who are not familiar with the Coleman Bayside.  It is a 14 foot pop-up with a slide out and it only has a potable water tank, there is not black water or gray water tank.  There is a drain hose that goes from the sink drain to the outer wall of the camper.  From what I can tell it is a male, 1 1/2" PVC thread with a screw on cap.  We are looking for a way to drain our gray water into the sewer hookup while on a full service site.  When not on a full service site we just use a blue container from Walmart.  However, we have been staying at more full service sits lately and lets face it, it is nice to not have to empty it! Thank you in advance for the info! 

I have checked three Walmart's here in Canada and found nothing.  This summer while we were travelling though the states we noticed the Walmart's south of the American boarder have a lot more RV "stuff".  I have no issues ordering from Amazon Canada if those parts will work ok.  I was wondering if the Camco Sewer Hose Rinse Cap would be a better choice as it looks as if it would twist lock into place and would not rely on gravity to hold it in place like the Camco Gray Water Seal Sewer Fitting.  What do you guys think?

Ok, some of the campgrounds I stay at the sewer hookup is far enough that I really want to use the macerator (3/4" garden hose, black rubber, 50' Long)

Many of the holes in teh ground are also not threaded but smooth.

I gook a plastic flower pot.. Drilled a hole in the bottom JUST big enough to pass a piece of 1" PVC, Filled the pot with concrete.. (NOTE This is identlical to what the park uses for "Plugs" when nobody is hooked up save for the pipe down the middle)
Top of the pipe is a 90 degree and a female hose adapter.

Works great

In my case there is some additional plumbing there i9ncluding a swing Check Valve for a 2nd hose

Macerator hooks to the straight into the hole hose..  Wash Water HOse (25'Gray from 3rd tank) to the swing check fitting.  That way all 3 tanks can be drained down the one adapter.. But that's special for me. .. You moight want to add somethign for use as a handle.

CJC, we also had a popup with a sink but no grey water tank. The sink drain did not have a P-trap in it so if you do hookup to park sewer, check your drain to see if you have a P-trap. If not, you will want to create a trap somewhere in the drain hose or sewer gasses will backup into the camper. There is also the potential for sewer flies to enter the camper through the hose. A small loop in the hose creating a low spot will work.

I believe the Camco Sewer Rinse Cap that was suggested is for a 3" waste drain that has a bayonet fitting. CJC needs the 1.5" threaded fitting instead, and I think he has identified the right one.

I can't believe the response I get from my posts...amazing...thanks! I am happy to hear that the items I listed will work! Is there a trap of some kind I can get to stop sewer gases from getting into the camper? If not I am fine making sure there is a low spot in the hose to stop it from happing.

Again thanks for all the help!!!!

Any downward loop in the hose should do it. In fact the hose will come off the camper, lay on the ground, and then will have to come up 6" or so to go into the sewer pipe, so there's your loop.

I used a 1.5" 90 Degree Elbow with my PUP this was adapted down to a garden hose. to my waste tote.

in another post I already told one way to adapt the garden hose up to a 3" drop in sewer fitting,, You can also adapt it back up to a 3" screw in, or you can use a common Macerator hose and adapter which you can get from teh parts counter at yoru local RV store.

The hose will go uphill slightly to enter that drain plug anyway, and that's all the "trap" you need. As long as there is water in the hose, no gases can get by. Just don't prop up the hose to help it drain - let it do it on its own.

those items you linked to in your original post are exactly what i used in our old popup.
and the Blue aquatainer was my tank  (well after I upgraded our old kitty litter bucket after I figured I'd get something that could be closed with a tight lid)

Back
Top Bottom