Anyone have a stabilizer bar break?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaron k

For starters I didn't have one break. Everytime I hook up the stabilizer bars I can't help to think about the enormous amount of pressure they are under. Has anyone had them break? I would imagine it would make quite a noise and possibly damage something with flying shrapnel?

I had a chain link snap.  Did make a nastey sound but the bar shot down into the pavement.    No real damage and after a quick pit stop at home depot it was a quick and cheep fix..... I'm more concerned with personal injury while hooking up

Those "stabilizers" are big springs (and they are for weight distribution, not "stabilizing"). I suppose it's possible for one to break, but it has to be extremely rare. The spring suspension in your car or truck is under a lot more pressure and gets worked harder, and you don't hear of a lot of them breaking. Some do, of course, but not many.

If you want to worry, worry about the ball breaking off or the ball coupler failing. Now THAT would be truly SCARY!

Gary RV Roamer said:
Those "stabilizers" are big springs (and they are for weight distribution, not "stabilizing"). I suppose it's possible for one to break, but it has to be extremely rare. The spring suspension in your car or truck is under a lot more pressure and gets worked harder, and you don't hear of a lot of them breaking. Some do, of course, but not many.

If you want to worry, worry about the ball breaking off or the ball coupler failing. Now THAT would be truly SCARY!

Man I kind of wanted to get some sleep tonight......not now hahaha

Aaron, I've had some of the same thought about the round bars on my WDH, as I'm CRANKING them up into position as hard as I can.  ;)  But they seem very solid, and everything's help up just fine so far.  Mine are rated for 1400# tongue weight, and I'm well below that... so I feel fine there.

Gary RV Roamer said:
That should remind you to make sure your safety chains are in good shape. And hooked up.

Exactly... I figure that there are so many components keeping my Suburban + TT rig held together, that they're all supporting each other and it's pretty unlikely all of them will fail at once and cause a major disaster!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom