1989 GMC P/U w/ tow package...what can I tow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwbiggs

Have a GMC Sierra w/tow package but have no idea how big a TT we can pull.  Anyone have an idea what this truck is capable of?  It has a 350 motor.  I think years ago it pulled a 24" Terry TT with no slideouts with no problem.  Can it handle a 27' with slideout?

Thanks,
Dan

That's not enough info  Is it 3500, 2500, or 1500?  If it's the later  not much.  But the towing experts will let you know as soon as you give them all the info.

Do you know what the rear end ratio is?  The Trailer Life data on line only goes back to 1999 and shows 6500 lbs for a 2500 with a 3.73 rear end, 8000 lbs for a 2500 with a 4.10 rear end.  Both require appropriate towing equipment such as weight distribution hitch, brake controler, etc..  Maybe someone else on the forum will have a more applicable tow rating for your 89.

I would down rate a 1989 at least 20% from the original rating, to allow for engine & tranny wear. It is no doubt a shadow of its former self after all these years.

I believe it has a 4.10 if I remember correctly.  I'm thinking they will need to get something a little newer/bigger to tow want they want...a 27ft w/ slideout.

They did use it to pull a 24 ft Terry TT from Va to Tenessee a couple of times...went over mountains well.  Don't know what that trailer weighed though.

I have a 28 ft. Cherokee Light with a slide out that just weights a bit over 6100 lbs loaded.  I would think you could find a "light weight" trailer in that range with a slide out that should be capable of being pulled with a 2500.  As RV Roamer stated, I would be a bit concerned about the wear and tear on an 89, but if the engine and tranny are still strong, it should easily be capable.

Back
Top Bottom