Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biggersm

We have a Blue OX Sway Pro and have towed probably towed about 4,000-5,000 miles using our Toyota Highlander (max SAE J2807 tow weight of 5,000 and pulling a trailer that never exceeds 4,400 pounds).  It does a great job and we rarely ever feel even the slightest sway even in windy conditions although if an 18 wheeler comes up from behind I can feel just a little bit of drift in the direction of the the 18 wheeler but not enough to get alarmed about.

If you look at the literature on this item it states to count to the 10th link on the chains before connecting the cam locks.  I can do this pretty easy when connecting up in the back yard since the coupler is higher than the tow vehicle due to the pad I built (and of course I raise the trailer all the way up during connection).  When I get to our final destination and raise the hitch again and begin disconnecting everything I know that the cam locks are under quite a bit of pressure and so far I have been lucky to not have the socket handle come up and hit me.  It also appears that maybe I'm pushing down the front of the tow vehicle, and thus raising the hitch to the point that the trailer seems lower at the rear axle (when using the 10th link, the pictures below are using the 9th link).

My questions are as follow:

1.  How much torque effort is normal for twisting the cam locks into place?
2.  How important is it to go to the tenth link?
3.  Would the 9th versus 10th link make the trailer seem lower at the back?

Thanks in advance.  I value your opinion and it was members forum this forum that suggested that all I had to do to keep the chains from hitting the bottom of the hitch was to simply reverse the ball on the tow bar.  Never a problem since I did that.

Here is what the setup looks like however this is only on the 9th link and without the Goldwing in the back (it is also before I spun the hitch around so you can see in the picture how the chains used to interfere).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom