New Solar Installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phiredog

Hi all. I am going to install solar on my 1995 Winebago Vectra. I have already purchased  a 160 watt Go Power panel, 1500w Go power true sine inverter, and a couple of Trogan T105 6V batteries, and a 30W auto transfer switch. My plan was to use this system to power "most" of my 120V A/C needs when boon docking. I have a 7K generator which feeds a 220V, 50 amp auto transfer switch (factory). What I would like to do is place the 30A transfer switch after the factory 50 and feed just one 120V leg. This would be fed by my solar via battery bank and inverter. I have some electrical experience, but I am by no means an electrician. Has anyone installed a similar solar system? Ideas, comments? Thanks in advance.

Actually, you should feed both 120v legs from the transfer switch to the laod center with the inverter. That way you don't ever to worry which leg a given circuit is on. The only critical thing is make sure the inverter can never, ever, try to power the RV at the same time as shore power. Make sure the secondary transfer switch always swithes the inverter offline if shore power is present.

Hi Gary,

Appreciate your reply! Let me make sure I understand. Since I will only be feeding 120V into the system, I will jump it into both legs after the 50A switch, but before the breaker box? I appreciate your concern that that way either leg should cause the transfer switch to drop my converter out of the system- that has been of major concern to me, (hate to fry that high dollar piece of hardware). For some reason I just can't get a picture in my head of how to actually connect the wiring.

Phiredog said:
For some reason I just can't get a picture in my head of how to actually connect the wiring.

Draw it out on paper. Show your shore power, gen power, transfer switches, lines, breaker box, voltages, etc.

It will be much easier that trying to do it all in your head and you can use your drawing for study and as reference when you do the install.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom