Flat Tow a Rubicon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Weiss

First time post on this forum so be gentle :)

We currently go to a few Jamboree's or other events a year & tow a Rubicon on a trailer.  We're in the process of buying an RV & plan to use that to tow but sometimes want the convenience of not taking the trailer with.  It looks like many states require a braking system on the TOAD & I'm wondering if any of the braking systems get in the way of normal operations.  Most of the ones I've researched seem to be manually pulling the brake pedal - doesn't that interfere when driving the Jeep.  The last thing I want are issues with brakes trying to inch my way over some rocks:(

Welcome to the forum! A few years ago we flat towed our Rubicon when it was on 33" tires and used a wireless SMI Stay 'N Play brake system which worked very well but the product was unfortunately discontinued. If you flat tow, you do need an auxiliary brake system and you can research those.

As far as interfering with braking, our SMI had a vacuum operated cylinder mounted to the brake pedal arm and pulled in a cable attached to the floor.  At first I was concerned it would be in the way of my shoes (usually hiking boots), but it really wasn't an issue.

We changed from flat towing to trailering our Rubi since we went up in tire size (we're on 37s now) - it's easier on the Jeep drive train, there's no front tire scrub when you make a turn and you can back the rig up.  (And if you tear the rig up, you can winch it on the trailer.)

We did a few Jeep Jamborees but the owners got too greedy - they are too expensive and there are way too many participants to really have fun on a trail.  I can deal with 12-15 experienced wheelers (either when I lead a trail or when I'm in the group) but the usual 20 or so Jamboree group with inexperienced wheelers makes for a frustrating and expensive day.

John - thanks - I was concerned about the cable getting tangled with boots so good to hear.  We're on 33" & will probably keep using the trailer but want to fully understand the options.  I hear you about the JJ costs & always enjoy making some new friends. 

First off welcome to the forum and great choice on toad.

That being said, most people (myself included now) flat tow their Jeeps because of the ease of doing so.  I used to haul my Jeep JKU in our 26' enclosed trailer but to be honest it is much more cumbersome and troublesome to find a campsite long enough to accommodate a 72' long rig.  I loved towing the trailer when we were heading to a destination but for hop, skip and jump trips where the wife and I do a lot of sightseeing the trailer was a real PITA.  My JKUR is on 4" of lift and rolling on 35" tires and flat tows beautifully.  It is quick to disconnect to go exploring and quick to reconnect to the coach for towing.  I custom built my own crossmember that bolts to the Jeep's frame that resides just behind and below the front bumper for keeping my towbar connections low and level yet does not interfere with my approach angle in the slightest.  Hooking up can take about 3 minutes to connect the Jeep via the towbar, connect the electrical, connect the braking hose, roll out the netting and be on our way.  If we decide we want to pull into a parking lot to go exploring and see the world's largest ball of twine ;D, I can be unhooked in about a minute and we are off sightseeing.  With the trailer we never did that, we would just tell ourselves it was too much trouble to unload the Jeep from the trailer and we would see it another time.

As for auxiliary braking systems, I have used the U.S. Gear Unified Braking System on several previous Jeeps and it works fantastic.  The small linear actuator that mounts under the seat and pulls the brake pedal in the Jeep from the back is completely irrelevant when it comes to driving the Jeep or using it off-road.

Several others operate in the same manner, the Air Force One and M&G brake systems are two that I have also been impressed with and are simple and quick to hook up and disconnect.

Good luck in your travels.

Mike.

I, too, use the U.S. Gear system, and you never even know it's there when you're driving. It's all under other stuff (seat, floor mat, etc.) and out of the way.

I have a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited and use the M&G system, have been using them on my various toads since 1995.

They are the simplest and most trouble free proportional brake systems, there only problem is that they won't fit all cars.

If you haven't made up your mind, take a look at SMI-AF1 we used that on our  Rubicon and when we got a newer warngler we had them transfer it to the newer jeep. Has worked just great the last 6 years ;D

I use the M&G for my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. After the initial installation there is nothing to hook up on the inside of the Jeep each time you hook up to tow, just a air hose from the MH to the front under the bumper.

Been using a Ready Brute tow bar with integrated brake system for about 8 years to tow our Rubicon. The cable on the brake is non issue. Hands down the simplest and least expensive way to tow. 

http://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute%E2%84%A2_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html

We use a Brake Buddy Classic. Does the job simple. Works well and we have towed our jeep more than we have driven it.

We use the Brake Buddy system when flat towing our Jeep Wrangler Auto/Trans works great.

We also have used the Brake Buddy for four vehicles, a 2001 Jeep TJ, a 2010 Mazda Tribute, a 2009 Ford Ranger and now a 2013 Jeep JKU Sahara. Has worked for all vehicles with no problem, except we started using a 12 volt power source from the RV after getting a dead battery when puling the jeep TJ (had to have key on to unlock steering and power the cig. lighter port, and that ran down Jeep battery).

Back
Top Bottom