Looking for a trailer for my Flex. First time trailer for me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yeswonderful

Hi all! I joined up so I could get some information and advice on buying a trailer. It'll be my first travel trailer, and I've been doing quite a bit of research over the past few months. My partner and I are looking to be on the road traveling more often and would like a small traveling home to take with us when we don't have a friend to stay with in the places we go. However, we do have the limitation of only having a Ford Flex with a Class I tow package. So that limits us to 2000Lbs towing capacity. I've been searching and searching for a trailer that might fit the bill.

Here's our current list of requirements:
-Not a pop-up (due to possibility of encountering weather extremes on occasion)
-My partner is tallish, so he wants something with decent head room (over 7' is preferable)
-queen bed
-toilet and shower (wet bath is fine)
-stove
-sink
-fridge
-counter space of some kind for food prep (we cook a lot)
-enough space for two people and two medium sized dogs to have a place to sleep without the dogs piling on the bed (because they make sleeping impossible lol)

I've recently been interested in the Scamp 13'. Some of the Prolite models have intrigued me as well. However, since I'm a noob at all this, I thought I'd get some advice from people with more experience.

I don't really want do discourage you, but that Flex is just really not meant for towing.  And as you stated, being limited to 2K, there's not much out there with that limitation.  As an alternative to the PUP you ruled out, you might be able to find a TrailManor that could fit your needs.  But you just don't have a lot to choose from.

That's been my thought as well. I can sell the Flex for about $10k and opt for something else. I've been looking at some SUVs, as we'd like to have more vehicle space than a truck offers. Possibly the Toyota Highlander with the tow package or the 4Runner with the tow package.

Their are allmost no campers in the 2000lbs range with your requirements even the t@p is to heavy at 2900..
If you get a tow vehicle that can Handel 3500lbs. That will open the market to a ton of small travel trailer that will handle you wish list

I appreciate the advice. Thankfully it looks like my vehicle has a good trade in value compared to the prices of 4Runners I'm looking at.

So, new parameters. 5000lbs is my tow capacity with a 4Runner. I'd be comfortable sitting at something that's around 3500lbs just to factor in water, fuel, gear, dogs, people, etc.

What is good out there at this weight?

Their are a lot of new trailer on the market that are light weight single axil units with gross under 3600.
I think it's best to head out to a local dealer and look for your self..... Don't be afraid to look used to.  And watch out for salesmen.    They will try to upsize you in a Hart seat..,.. another good place to start is youtube.  You will find a lot of walk there vedios and it will give you a better idea on what's out their
I recommend you start with the jayco hummingbird.  http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2017-hummingbird/

Attachments

• 3289-2017HBMainExterior.png
    3289-2017HBMainExterior.png
    180.9 KB · Views: 9
So again, I'll point you to the TrailManor.  It's a popup, but it's a hardsided popup, and gives you a surprising amount of room.  Very easy to tow as well.

http://www.trailmanor.com/

its not only the tow capacity you need to worry about its the cargo capacity, just because they say you can tow 10,000 lbs doesnt mean the vehicle can handle the pin weight - you need to look at the yellow decal drivers side on the b pillar between the front and rear doors look like this

Attachments

• IMG_20160306_092354.jpg
    IMG_20160306_092354.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 12
First, welcome to the Forum!  You will get our honest opinions!

The Flex will not do the job for you.

Steve is absolutely on target.  He saved me typing the same thing.  This is a more accurate method to find true capacity than a "towing capacity" which assumes, lightly equipped vehicle, NO cargo and only one or two 150# passengers, depending on model year.

When shopping, ignore the dry weight which the salesman loves.  Nobody goes camping in an empty camper.  Use the GVWR of the TT to determine capacity.

As other have said, and you have figured out, the Flex just won't cut it.  2000 pounds of towing capacity won't pull any RV that I know of.  Plus towing capacities are MARKETING hype and overstated.  You should use about 3/4 of the weight as a more realistic target. 

With your now 5,000 pound towing capacity, I would stick with a travel trailer that weighs less than 3000 empty.  One model that comes to mind is the Rpod.  They're pretty popular and weight in the low 2000 pound range empty.  They have one model with a slide, which makes it a lot more roomy. 

robertusa123 said:
I recommend you start with the jayco hummingbird.  http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2017-hummingbird/

That's been my favorite thus far. How is Jayco with heat/cold?

I'll also check out the Rpod.

I have some time for shopping, so I'll definitely have fun with all your recommendations over the next few months. Thanks for your honest opinions!

Also, thank you, Steve, for that info. I'm going to look at a 4Runner on Monday, so I'll be sure to check out that info on the vehicle.

I was in the same boat you are in where your vehicle has limited towing capacity.  I was convinced I was going to get a 4Runner but they have very limited towing capacity.  I test drove a 4Runner and considered many other vehicles.  I then test drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 4Runner in the same day and I was shocked how much I liked the Cherokee  over the 4Runner.  The Cherokee has considerably more towing capacity relative to the 4Runner.  The Jeep's 8 speed transmission is light years ahead of the 4Runner's 4 speed.  The Jeep felt like it accelerated and cornered better as well. 
The factory tow package has been excellent and the back up camera makes hitching up really easy.

What year Jeep? I'm limited in my price range, as I can only sell my Flex for $10k-$12k and don't have much more to spend on a vehicle in addition to the trailer.

EDIT: Wow, looking into Jeep Grand Cherokees. Though they don't offer quite as much interior room as the 4Runner, their prices are excellent. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT #2: Which engine does your Jeep have and what is the towing capacity?

I've have a 2015 with a 6 cylinder which I think is rated at 6200 or 6400 lbs.  There is no difference in the suspension, brakes and towing features compared to the 8 cylinder.  The 8 is rated for 7k+.  If you get one make sure it has the factory tow package because it upgrades the alternator, spare tire and I believe a few other things.

Back
Top Bottom