Finally RETIRED now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DutchEagle

6 months after becoming 66, I finally retired September 1st. It feels so weird knowing I do not have to go to work next week. I have no boss other then my wife LOL (But I love her so it's all good)

I finally have time to do all the things I want (and what my wife wants me to do) so how do I transition from here? Just some thoughts I have, doing stuff like;
* Doing all the enhancements and projects on our RV (That will keep me busy for months)
* Learn all I can to do my own RV maintenance
* Learn Spanish just for fun
* Clean up the garage
* Make a bigger work bench for winterizing the batteries
* Walk the dog twice a day (Instead of once)
* Figure out my new camera (Lumix FZ1000)
* Visit thrift shops for DVDs to watch while it's snowing and cold :) (Minnesota!)
* Work out more (Now 3x a week)
* Fix up the house to sell next year

And lastly add stuff to this list :) 

Just remember, now that you are retired you will never get another day off.  You can start each day with nothing to do, yet you will never get finished by the end of the day. 

By the way - You need to move that "clean up the garage" item to the bottom of the list.  I see no need for that "working out" thing to be on the list at all.  Take if from someone who has been retired for 24 years and enjoying every minute of it. ;) :D

Establish new goals.

Instead of just 'working out' set a goal of x number of consecutive push-ups by your next birthday.

Take a class in a subject of interest to you but never found the time.  You can do it on line for free, on your schedule.  Coursera, EDX, FutureLearn, et al offer classes from universities around the world.  I have taken classes from Duke, Harvard, schools in the UK, Canada, Netherlands, Australia, and China on a variety of subjects.  Next on my list is a course on Shakespeare's plays from Cambridge University in the UK.  Where else to study Shakespeare?
Watch the videos on a rainy day when holed up in your RV, complete the assignments and participate the class discussions on line.  I had a group assignment with three other students from South Africa, Iceland, and Russia.  A wonderful experience.  And free if you do not care for academic credentials. (I do not).

SeilerBird said:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,61138.0.html

Thanks SeilerBird but I did teach photography, it's the buttons, menus and options of the camera I have to find out :)

dave54 said:
Establish new goals.

I like your approach Dave, something to look into for sure!

Just Lou said:
Just remember, now that you are retired you will never get another day off.  You can start each day with nothing to do, yet you will never get finished by the end of the day. 

By the way - You need to move that "clean up the garage" item to the bottom of the list.  I see no need for that "working out" thing to be on the list at all.  Take if from someone who has been retired for 24 years and enjoying every minute of it. ;) :D

LOU: Ok I move cleaning up the garage for after the winter. Delete "work" out because "work" is done. Lets make it exercise I'm addicted to that :)

Tom Hoffman said:
Nothing to do....

Thanks TOM, very clever :)

Becks said:
Get in the coach and leave MN before it gets cold.

Oh YES Becks that would be a great option :)

In all seriousness we are not able to get away South yet, the RV needs to have maintenance at Freight-liner coming week and we have to keep holding off on spending money for this year, next year will be easier on use because we then pay less taxes as there is less income. We saved money to just ride it out this year. End of September we scheduled a trip up North to Two Harbors and Grand Marais, after that the RV goes into storage (depending on the weather) and we need time to fix up the house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom