Driveshaft & u-joints, Spartan chassis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

I am riding on a 2002 Spartan Mountain Master GT chassis.  Can anyone provide id and/or part number on the drive shaft and u-joints? Understand they are likely Dana Spicer, and u-joints likely 1610, 1710 or 1810.

I am in an RV park East of OK City, and looks like I need new drive shaft and joints. Got a mobile guy to come out yesterday afternoon when I pulled off the road with some vibration under acceleration and figured out it was driveshaft vibration, but with the 3 day weekend I doubt we will get any repair/replacement action until Tuesday. The rear yoke on the shaft has a chunk of metal out of it, so either need a new yoke or entire shaft setup.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Spartan could probably tell you that on Tuesday. Just call with your VIN. They can probably also source the parts.
We called a Spartan Chassis service location about 80 miles away and all they could say was "Sorry. That vin doesn't come up with anything in our system." Then they referred me to an RV dealer who (like most) does not do chassis work.  Spartan HQ was closed at that time on Saturday afternoon. We will try them after they reopen.

utahclaimjumper said:
  A shot of grease once a year would have prevented that.>>>Dan
Possibly. But that isn't much help now. :(  We tend to trust our service folks ...and I have used many different locations over the years ...to do a competent job. From the looks of this one, every place I ever used missed it as it was very dry ...pretty sad considering I have used several Spartan, Cummins, Freightliner and other "professional" service locations.

The way to do it right is to jack one side of the axle housing so a rear wheel assay is off the ground, then its easy to rotate the wheel, thereby rotating the driveshaft to access the five zerks on the shaft. Its very difficult to access all of them while stationary.>>>Dan

I have the same chassis and find most chassis parts are available (or can be made up in your case)at major heavy truck repair places.>>>Dan

You might consider having your tech remove the u-joints and shaft (not a difficult task) so you can identify/match up the components Tuesday AM. If you choose to do it yourself be sure to use jack stands rather than rely on just the mh jacks.

Ernie

I think Ernie has the best plan of attack. These are not going to be unique Spartan parts and any truck repair shop should be familiar with them and where to get replacements.

Over the 3 day weekend we found Perfection Equipment in OK City who rebuilds drive shafts. They are the favorite of the local car guys, and do trucks too. It went to them yesterday with expected 1-2 day turn-around.

Mobile service guy said "If you lube it every 3 months it will last 10 years. " I told him "This one lasted 14yrs and 105k miles." He said, "Then your service guy used to care, but he quit caring somewhere along the way." I have rarely used the same service location until the past 4-5 yrs after we quit fulltiming. I always provide them a service list, which includes "prop shafts u-joints and slip joint." Looks like I need to have a little talk with them next time it goes in

It really does not need it that often unless one seal is worn, then you would see it "slinging" grease. Most M/Hs don't get that many miles per year.>>>Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom