removing sleeper couch

• Thread starter rockin rockwood
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

rockin rockwood

Just found an expandable sleeper couch that will fit nicely where the original stock couch is now. Has anyone had any trouble removing large furniture thru the door? The expandable couch would make things so much more comfortable, but I don't want to open up a can of worms! I've heard you can remove the windshield as a last option but that's not going to happen!! This is a gas class a MH with a 24 inch door opening. Also has 2, maybe 3 steps to go down before stepping on the electric steps.

I guess I should have thought to say, if I can get the old one out easily enough, I can get the new one in. My biggest problem is, it's an eBay sale so I don't have anything to actually see other than very close measurements

The couch I just installed had arms which were removable. Just had it standing up on end in the back of my truck. Backed the truck up to the door and just walked it in on end. Once inside, I put the arms back on.

WOW! That would be awesome if that is the case. I emailed the seller with other questios, hopefully he will get back to me, being it's a holiday weekend, hopefully I can get a dialog with him. By the way it's a Villa International RV couch that I'm looking at

I had a very tough time when I bought a sofa from the furniture store.It was a tight fit but eventually it got through.The best and the most often heard advice is to measure your furniture and doorways and hallways before you buy the furniture.Trying out in different angles help especially in the case of moving oversized furnitures.Most sofa?s have soft sides which can be used to squeeze in through the doorway.If nothing works then the only option is to remove the doorframe.In a lot of ways we could manage things on our own instead of getting professional help which would sometimes cost a lot especially if the solution is simple.Here is a blog from a disposal bin rental company called gorilla bins that mentions some benefits on diy approaches to save money (http://www.gorillabins.ca/blog/renovation-plans-save-money-with-a-diy-approach/).

When I put a new dual recliner set up in my rig and had to take out the "L" shaped sofa, it was a nightmare.  I even took out the passenger seat to clear the door opening.  Finally had to literally disassemble the L sofa to get the frame out, and that was after taking off the two straight ends. 

If you plan on dumping the old one, tearing it apart is not problem.  Mine was brand new, so I took it to an Upholsterer and had him put it back together.  It sits in my sons house now.  I could have went with a front windshield or drivers side window removal and reinstall, but I hate to take out a large piece of glass that isn't broke, and doesn't leak.

Update... the new couch is installed! Had to take off the arm rests. Just a matter of 4 bolts. The only problem I had was that it took 2 men and a donkey to lift it! Luckily a neighbor was around to help! Not going to say who the donkey was.

That is the perfect ending ! I did something similar just last week; we had a unconfortable hide-a-bed that we removed and I reinstalled a loveseat and I also had to disassemble both pieces of furniture, I only took the back seat off the loveseat and it fits perfectly and very confortable.
p.s. for kids and grand kids, I install a double height queen air mattress.  ;)

It should be noted that this is made for RV 's. The arms came off with very little effort, 4 bolts and reassembled easily. Like I said the only trouble was having the muscle to finesse it thru the door which is just shy of 24 inches

Interesting thread and post! Part of our remodel will be to remove the convert a sofa and replace with 2 recliners/ sleeper recliners. Well aware of the measure twice, cut once saying. Dissassembly of the old sofa should be no issue, finding the right size recliners may be a problem. Thinking of just taking unit to friends upholstery shop in JAX and being done with it.

I am looking at a used rig that comes with a dreadful couch that is about as comfy as a bed full of rocks.

I was thinking of removing the offending couch and replacing with a day bed and a plethora of assorted comfy pillows. That way I can have a cuddle couch or a bed. I see some day beds come with an optional trundle bed that can actually be premade with sheets and stashed under the daybed between uses.

Another contender is the futon couch, some of those are super comfy.

I wish these designers would think outside the box. While it's nice to have some rigs that sleep 8, I wish they would build more that sleep less. It would be nice to have more choices.

We changed out the hide-a-bed sofa and swivel recliner in our coach recently. 
The day I ordered the new stuff, my wife posted the old ones on a Facebook yard sale group for free.  Within an hour she had 2 couples ready to come pick them up.  The morning I installed the new stuff, she messaged the first of the couples about the time I got the sofa out of the coach.  The old furniture was gone before I got done installing the new.

Back
Top Bottom