No rv resort... just want laid back place to enjoy outside St. George utah area.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

We are thinking of leaving the snow this winter... but, I am sorry, idea of RV park... sardine style is not our liking... we are active on our own... like to hike, kayak, etc... any ideas??? Trying to look around and see where to go, Utah, Texas, Arizona.... any ideas from those of you that enjoy that style. We have solar so can boondocked some, but TV is nice. So electric occasionally is nice.. ideas on trips, sites, etc ! Thanks

There are lots of dispersed Boondocking sites all over that area. Figure out where you want to go and call the BLM office in charge of the area.

We stayed in St. George for a little over a week in January last year. Campsite was an RV park, but we were gone most of the days so it didn't matter. There aren't many hours of daylight that time of year, and it was chilly and rainy. We also stayed in Death Valley and Joshua Tree National Parks. Lake Havasu was a bust for us -too many people. We would have been happier boondocking outside town (plenty of sites).  Then again there is always Quartzite. We might be able to go to the RV Forum rally there in January.

I hear ya... I've stayed in places that felt like a can of Bismarck herring.
It does sound like you'd like to mix it up a little.
Use google maps in Satellite mode to check RV parks. If I can't see the individual sites due to trees, it's a plus. If it looks like a barren converted farm field with awnings almost touching, I keep checking.

I suggest going to Zion National Park and stay at South Campground. No reservations are needed. Spectacular scenery. Best place in the country to go hiking. Check out Angels Landing.

https://youtu.be/igI1OFitYFk

A bit scary but well worth the fright.

Hello Tanglemoose,

tanglemoose said:
We are thinking of leaving the snow this winter... but, I am sorry, idea of RV park... sardine style is not our liking... we are active on our own... like to hike, kayak, etc... any ideas??? Trying to look around and see where to go, Utah, Texas, Arizona.... any ideas from those of you that enjoy that style. We have solar so can boondocked some, but TV is nice. So electric occasionally is nice.. ideas on trips, sites, etc ! Thanks

We mostly fit your description and tastes, and we have been going to the US Southwest in Dec-Jan for a few years now, so I think I can help.

We haven't been to UT yet, but I think that between South CA and AZ there's a lot of nice places to easily spend 2 months having fun. Our personal favourites, in no particular order:

Mojave NP, CA: please see this post here. Besides that campground, there are also some official, "roadside" camping spots you can boondock for up to 14 days; we've stayed at both the Sunrise Rock and the Kelso Dunes Mine locations a few times and really liked them. We also posted some pics of our hikes in the NP and whereabouts here: http://mojavedesert.org (please scroll down to June 2014 and earlier posts).

Quartzsite, AZ: been there only once, in our last trip, and will certainly return. Didn't catch the forum rally.

Catalina State Park, AZ: for the RV forum rally. Really liked both the park and the rally, had lots of fun and made many friends.

Grand Canyon, AZ (South Rim): we stayed at the Trailer Village campground, not bad. The Canyon itself is unbelievable!

Death Valley, CA: almost as unbelievable as the Grand Canyon, and more varied to boot. We stayed at the Furnace Creek Resort, far from our ideal but also not unsupportably packed either. Next time will try to stay at one of the NPS campgrounds.

Joshua Tree NP, CA: nice, but not as nice as the Mojave NP for our tastes. We stayed at the nice Jumbo Rocks campground.

Organ Pipe Cactus NM, AZ: certainly the darkest, most pitch-black night skies we ever camped at, spectacular for star gazing. We stayed at the main NPS campground.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Keep in mind that Utah gets cold in the winter !

We winter in the southwest. We hike, bike, kayak, geocache and go as far off-road as our VW can make it. Some of the places we've stayed:
Death Valley NP - if you're ok boondocking, spend some time at Furnace Creek or Sunset CG near the park headquarters and some time at Mesquite CG in the north end of the park.
Quartzsite, AZ - acres and acres of boondocking, RV Forum Rally in January.
Anza Borrego Desert State Park, CA - state park campground has hookups but there are also tons of boondocking areas
Yuma, AZ - tons of RV parks and plenty of free boondocking areas. Nice 10-day camping at Mittry Lake and good kayaking
The Mojave Desert in California - 2 National Parks, a couple of state parks and acres of boondocking and hiking.

Best advice, wander around trying out different areas. And enjoy.
Wendy

Or maybe Pahrump, NV and could mosey over to Death Valley.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom