Question for you Radio Buff's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neal

Is there any use for old Motorola business radios, or is there any market for them?
We still have our radios that we used to use in business, but have been on the shelf for several years now.
1ea Base Station 100 watt mocom 70
2 ea Mobile 100 watt mocom 70
2 ea portables
I think they are set up for 157.620

Sadly, no. Mocom 70 was my favorite radio to install back in the day, but they have been out of production for better than 35 years.

They are no longer type accepted for land mobile use, and aren't worth modifying for amateur radio. For what it's worth, a decent Micor base station is still considered viable for converting into an amateur repeater.

HappyWanderer said:
Sadly, no. Mocom 70 was my favorite radio to install back in the day, but they have been out of production for better than 35 years.

They are no longer type accepted for land mobile use, and aren't worth modifying for amateur radio. For what it's worth, a decent Micor base station is still considered viable for converting into an amateur repeater.

Thanks for the info,
We kind of expected that.

Micor repeaters are quite popular for Ham use. If you are open to parting out the cabinet you may have better luck off-loading parts, just a thought.

I am not familiar with those radios, but if they are crystal radios they aren't worth much to anyone unless they are mint - a collector may be interested in one. If they are programmable they will have some value on 2m.

Keep in mind, however, that all of the old radios like that are "wide band" - 25kHz wide bandwidth. As of January 2013 all commercial 2 way systems went narrowband (at least on UHF/450mHz). That opened up the flood gates for surplus commercial radios in the Ham radio market. Motorola has been a kingpin in "commercial grade" radios for Ham use for decades, along with Kenwood and Vertex, among some others. The old radios that are not narrowband capable became obsolete overnight. Now days you can find older commercial gear for pennies on the dollar, unless it is narrowband capable.

Radios that cover the 150 band are generally good for 118-174mHz. 2m is 144-148mHz.

Back
Top Bottom