Going to Maine next summer..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grassy

Thinking northeast of Bangor..or maybe as far down as Rangley.

My rig is 52 feet long and I drive between 60 and 65..

We don't need total seclusion but want to be far enough away from our neighbours were we cannot pass the ketchup.

We travel with dogs and like to walk and bike. Some normal touristy things locally would be nice too.

Any recommendations and what are the highways like..It has been years since I drove Maine..

Thanks

Grassy

Up in Aroostook County or out in Western Maine you might find the wide open spaces you are looking for but from Calais to the Lakes Region to Wells it is pretty crowded.

Acadia National Park has great carriage trails for hiking and biking. The main part near Bar Harbor is a zoo, the town and the area are very crowded - trail are still great.

But if you camp over on the Schoodic Peninsula section at Schoodic Woods CG you'll have nice campground site, access to the carriage trials near there (right from the CG). This campground is only about year old, but very nice. From what you said you'll want a back-in site. Better separation from your neighbor.

For the tourist stuff just drive over to Bar Harbor or north or south along the coast.

ken

Sorry for the delay in replying..

Ken, we are now looking in that area and the Boothbay region. Both re close and far.

The crowds concern especially when trying to pull a trailer.

We still have a bit of time before we have to book...btw, what is with many campgrounds not using plastic ?

Ina

Boothbay Harbor a great destination - touristy though.... Gray Homestead CG just south - on the ocean - reserve early. Note: Maine roads are narrow once off the Interstate and US highways.

Just be aware in advance of the very very low overpasses. I had a knot in my stomach every time we approached one.

Try to add Acadia to your agenda. I is very beautiful.

Ken

missnmountains said:
Just be aware in advance of the very very low overpasses. I had a knot in my stomach every time we approached one.

Try to add Acadia to your agenda. I is very beautiful.

Ken

I have never had that issue and been living in the northeast for 70 years.  All the overpasses are marked. If they are below the DOT required height, (I believe it's 13' 6") they will be marked way in advance of you getting there and will most likely have signs on the overpass itself.  You'll be fine as long as you know how high your rig is.

We always enjoy Western Maine in the White Mountains, particularly in the Bethel area.  Good hiking, biking and boating, and not too crowded.

Ed

I have booked..I find the cash only odd but the place looks great. Thanks.

We will be in Maine for a family reunion but a bit further north up on Cross Lake.

Our daughters and families will then want to head to the coast where all the action is.

Look at "Maine Stays" RV park in Winter Harbor.  Just down the road from Schoodic Point, now a camp ground. There is a ferry a hundred yards from Maine Stay that goes to Bar Harbor several times a day.> Nice ride and makes going to Bar Harbor fun.  The tour  bus that goes to Cadillac Mt . is a fun ride and very educational. I forget the name of the restaurant that sells the tour tickets.  Also if you have the time the Lobster festival in Rockport (near Camden)is great if you like sea food.  I do!

Schoodic Woods part of Acadia.  We were lucky enough to hear about it the first month it opened (9/15).  Good electric - 50 amp, & water as well as convenient dump stations.  $50.00/night - $25.00 with senior pass.  We liked it so much we went back again last fall.  As we are realatively new at RVing, we try not to go to the same place twice, but this place was definitely worth the trip again.  We stay in B-19, which is at least 30' wide, with trees on each side and at least 100' long.  Also convenient to bathroom and trash bins.  Table and fire ring included, and they usually have a stack of free firewood.  About 40 minutes from Acadia, but worth the trip.

...And if you are going to be in the Montreal QC vicinity, Montreal is celebrating its 375th year anniversary (yes!! 375) so there will a lot going on as the mayor liberally spends our tax money.

If you're interested in beavers,  there's a small pond which had loads in it a few years back, easy to see.  Ask a ranger for location as I can't recall. It was right next to the road.

Jackiemac,

I shall. Mascot for Engineers..have 2 in my family .. and an animal that is near and dear to our country.

We want to come over your way and do a barge tour in the next couple of years ...  and perhaps slide over to see where my family came from.

We will be at Gray Homestead CG in July. Seems like a great and comfortable place. Been trying to find any info on low bridges but nothing comes up in my research.

The big question is if we bring our co pilots or not..

grassy

We did that trip before we go the TT so not sure about bridges as we didn't need to look out for height restrictions.

Barge trips popular down south, beautiful countryside too.

Enjoy

Grassy, we have never had difficulty travelling throughout Maine with low over passes, and we have traveled it fairly extensively.

Ed

If in the Acadia - Winter Harbor area be sure to order lobster from The Lob Store in Winter Harbor.  These people are lobster fishermen and have a small shop in the front where they will sell you live lobster, ship it or cook your lobster and put it in styrofoam containers to eat back at the camp site.  That's what we did, and they were great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom