What does Salvage title mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Badlands Bob said:
Run Run Run away from a salvage title.  The only way I would ever consider buying something with a salvage title is if I needed it for parts or it was a travel trailer that I could haul to a hunting camp and leave it there forever. 

If you want a road legal, registered and insured RV, avoid anything with a salvage title.

My daughter purchased a car with a salvaged title. The person she purchased it from, buys wrecked cars and using parts from one, rebuilds another one. All my daughter had to do was bring it to our DMV and the state trooper inspected it. Then she got a regular title. That was 5 years ago and the car still runs great.

In CA there are a couple vehicle inspections needed before registration,  and there are several insurance companies that insure a salvage vehicles,

and shockingly......... there are even some auto industry loophole ways to 'cleanse' a vehicle of the salvage title tag that was often used on high end cars.

If your very knowledgeable when inspecting the vehicle and have a understanding what was the item that deemed it a total, you can make some really good buys. BUT if it was a flood vehicle you may want to run as fast as you can.

And then there's the possibility that someone made a boo-boo on the title. When we traded in our Winnebago last year, the dealer called a month later asking when it had been totaled. Never. They said the title came back as a "salvage" title. Only wreck it had been in was when we were rear ended and the VW we were towing was totaled. MH had minor hitch-related damage that was easily repaired.

Wendy said:
And then there's the possibility that someone made a boo-boo on the title. When we traded in our Winnebago last year, the dealer called a month later asking when it had been totaled. Never. They said the title came back as a "salvage" title. Only wreck it had been in was when we were rear ended and the VW we were towing was totaled. MH had minor hitch-related damage that was easily repaired.
that's one of the ways underhanded dealers sell a salvage title vehicle..  soon after the insurance auction they wholesale it to a friend that gets it quickly registered as a clean title vehicle in a different state that has no knowledge of the salvage title..(yet) .

after it's all fixed up it gets sold as a private party currently registered good deal ... and,  as long as the new owner lives in the same state or a state that does not require a VIN inspection, ....everything is fine.

it gets caught is when the vehicle comes into a new state or a dealership that requires a VIN verification before registration,

this is when the "Salvage" title comes up as a big surprise, and the value of the vehicle goes down.

TonyDtorch said:
that's one of the ways underhanded dealers sell a salvage title vehicle..  soon after the insurance auction they wholesale it to a friend that gets it quickly registered as a clean title vehicle in a different state that has no knowledge of the salvage title..(yet) .

after it's all fixed up it gets sold as a private party currently registered good deal ... and,  as long as the new owner lives in the same state or a state that does not require a VIN inspection, ....everything is fine.

it gets caught is when the vehicle comes into a new state or a dealership that requires a VIN verification before registration,

this is when the "Salvage" title comes up as a big surprise, and the value of the vehicle goes down.

That's not the case at all with our Winnebago. We bought it new. There was never a wreck, other than the one that totaled the VW we were towing The title was clean and clear. Somehow when we traded it in the title got switched to "salvage."

srs713 said:
Given the number of floods over large areas lately... I'd be careful buying a NEW vehicle these days.

Very good point... Just another reason to educate yourself on what to look for or take someone with you that does when buying ANY RV!

JMHO  8)

Keith

There are no legal ways to get a salvage title changed to a regular title.  There are gaps in the system from one state to the other.  For a while, crooked dealers would take a vehicle to a particular state and register the title.  Then show up the next day and claim they lost the original title.  The duplicate title would be issued without the salvage designation on it.  As computer systems have improved, this problem has been greatly reduced.  Carfax is your friend.

Badlands Bob said:
There are no legal ways to get a salvage title changed to a regular title.  There are gaps in the system from one state to the other.  For a while, crooked dealers would take a vehicle to a particular state and register the title.  Then show up the next day and claim they lost the original title.  The duplicate title would be issued without the salvage designation on it.  As computer systems have improved, this problem has been greatly reduced.  Carfax is your friend.
and then there are the private VIN verifications and private registration services that have a way of ..'sliding'...things through DMV.

Thank you all for your input, very helpful! :D This is our 1st MH purchase, and learning how to do that is taxing our (well, mine anyway) brains enough.  I don't want to add trying to deal a salvage title also.  You know that commercial on TV, the one where a person buys something and the top of their heads blow off?  That's kinda what it feels like!  I'm grateful for all the info on this site, thanks again.

there is actually very little to be afraid of.

like it was said above ..... run your own CarFax report on any private party used vehicle,  or buy one from a licensed dealership.

prnebs said:
Thank you all for your input, very helpful! :D This is our 1st MH purchase, and learning how to do that is taxing our (well, mine anyway) brains enough.  I don't want to add trying to deal a salvage title also.  You know that commercial on TV, the one where a person buys something and the top of their heads blow off?  That's kinda what it feels like!  I'm grateful for all the info on this site, thanks again.
Take a deep breath. There are two many good coaches out there to mess with someone's problem. We are entering the season where a lot of coaches come on the market.
Bill

Wendy said:
And then there's the possibility that someone made a boo-boo on the title.
  Never happen here in California.  Of course there was that one time when my new Drivers License indicated that I had lost 5 inches in height over the past 4 years and for the first time ever was required to wear glasses.  I'm still not required to wear them. 

garyb1st said:
  Never happen here in California.  Of course there was that one time when my new Drivers License indicated that I had lost 5 inches in height over the past 4 years and for the first time ever was required to wear glasses.  I'm still not required to wear them.

Hey, Gary, guess what state it was in ? California ?

in Alberta a Salvage title cannot be registered untill it is inspected at a Proper licenced shop. it may have been stolen and recovered and have no damage at all. but..the power train could be damaged.,i have bought a few salvage title undamaged vehicles and had them inspected with no issues.but then the title will say Repaired on it .

kenvb said:
in Alberta a Salvage title cannot be registered untill it is inspected at a Proper licenced shop. it may have been stolen and recovered and have no damage at all. but..the power train could be damaged.,i have bought a few salvage title undamaged vehicles and had them inspected with no issues.but then the title will say Repaired on it .

As a former owner of a licensed shop/dealer I used to buy and sell salvaged vehicles all the time, it's a great way of saving money on vehicles most other people are afraid of.

when it comes to motorcycles,  if they just fall over, the insurance company will total it because of any possible future claims that could be caused by a repair that was paid for by the insurance co..

replace the scuffed up parts and you can have a almost brand new motorcycle for about half price....all because of the 'Salvage' title.

What does salvage title mean..???    It meant an awesome deal for me..!!

I watched the auction sites online for a while until I saw what I wanted.

Got a 2016 Jayco 33rbts for 11k.! used probably 2 times
Rear bunkhouse Triple slide.! outdoor kitchen.. It has EVERYTHNG on it.!
Remote control that controls stabalizers,awning,3 slides,lights.
Solar hook up
Winter package for underbelly
Extra AC -added at factory

All original paperwork was left inside, the original receipt as well, the guy just paid $44k for it 6 months earlier.

TT needed about $500.00 in siding repair and trim pieces on side near slideout.
Im shocked that they total them out for such little work/repairs needed. My opinion is that these campers are made so cheaply the insurance companies doesnt want to be on the hook per se for such a cheap asset, such as a camper that moves down the road. A house in a neighborhood, they love to insure, all day long.

I feel like I stole this thing for $11k. I plan on using it for 10 yrs or so and selling it for $10 to $20k.

Yes, I highly suggest you look at a salvage title if you like a great deal and have the ability to buy the cheap parts online to fix it up. Remember the sales guy at the local rv dealer is a retreaded car salesman. Id never give them my money for a new one. Ask the everyday salesman a question at a rv place and most dont know and the other half have never camped. Retreads!

Back
Top Bottom