Ford publishes complete specs for 2017 pickups... and I'm disappointed :-/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VallAndMo

Hello everyone,

I think this came up in the last few days, just showed on my radar:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2017/2017_F-250_F-350_F-450_SD_Pickups_-_Specs.pdf

I had high expectations for F-350 SRW improvements in the 2017 line, given its aluminum body and that Ford has said it would allow them to save a lot of weight on the vehicle, and therefore reinforce chassis/suspension/etc to enhance it to carry larger loads. We were expecting the F350 to finally beat the RAM 3500HD on load capacities, instead of trying to compare it with the F450 (which is of course an entirely different class of truck). 

But this simply doesn't show up in the numbers, to wit (took these from the table at p.37, titled "F‐350 SRW 4x4 Styleside Pickup" and from the line labeled as "SuperCab 4x4 — 164.2" // "6.7L", which we understand is for the F-350 SRW 4x4 Supercab long bed with the PowerStroke diesel:

GVWR:                11500 (2016 RAM 3500HD: 12300)
- Total Curb weight:  7457 (2016 RAM 3500HD:  7825)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Payload:                3943 (2016 RAM 3500HD:  4480)

So, even after being almost 400lb lighter, the F350 still loses to RAM on payload for more than 500lb?!

And that is the 2016 RAM... the 2017 RAM will probably be even better.

And those 500lb are really relevant for us; our estimated total load will be around 4,400lb (including a 10% safety margin), so it's enough for the RAM to handle, but the Ford still falls short.

And no, going DRW is not the solution for us; I know it's more stable and safer in case of a rear-tire blow-out, but we really want to avoid an extra pair of tires (and the extra lateral excess) if we can.

Well, seems our truck is going to be a RAM after all. But too bad, I was really hopeful for the 2017 Fords...

PS: here is where I got the 2016 RAM numbers: http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2016_ram_3500_towing_charts.pdf
(look for pg. 5, "CREW CAB LONG BOX 4X4 // 6.7L CUMMINS DIESEL // A6 68RFE // 3.42).

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Interesting that their website say the payload is 4,380lbs for the Supercab 164 SRW with GVWR of 11,500, but that page doesn't specify which engine.

I think they didn't raise the payloads so that you would spend the money on a dually instead of SRW. More of marketing than engineering.

Responding to the subject line....

One of the major safety issues in the USA today (likely world wide) is PickUp truck advertising.

They take a small medium duty pick up and hook a trailer behind it with a boat about the size of the QUEEN MARY, tow it in low gear, Low range, (4x4 model of the truck) for about 10 feet but by the magic of Video make it look like hundreds of yards.. and say "See how much we can tow"

Where as in reality that truck would be maxed out by a 13' Scamp (2,000 pounds).. (Ok, not quite that bad).

Howdy Ken, Glen, Blkzxr,

Ken & Sheila said:
Interesting that their website say the payload is 4,380lbs for the Supercab 164 SRW with GVWR of 11,500, but that page doesn't specify which engine.

glen54737 said:
http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/payload/
Shows so different numbers but still doesn't account for engine type. I would think the difference in engine weight would effect it.

BlkZrx said:
I know Ram diesels have lower payload numbers then the gas versions..

No doubt the engine type affects the payload for any truck: as a diesel is much heavier than a gas engine, the extra weight adds to the "curb/dry weight" for the vehicle as as its GVWR remains the same, results in lower payload capacity. Other factors affect it too.

I find it very suspect, and usually disregard, any info from the manufacturer that doesn't define exactly the vehicle being spec'd, including engine, trim, bed size, 2WD/4WD, etc. Neither Ford nor RAM does it in their "marketing" literature, but they both do in their "technical" literature (of which I included the URLs in my original email); This is the info I trust.

Alas, this is my biggest gripe regarding Chevy/GMC trucks: I can't find equivalent "technical" information (ie, including for each and every engine/trim/bed size/traction/etc, the GAWR  and the curb/dry weight per axle, and the total GVWR), for them anywhere. If anyone knows where to find it, I would be much obliged for that info.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Hi Glen,

glen54737 said:
I think they didn't raise the payloads so that you would spend the money on a dually instead of SRW. More of marketing than engineering.

It could be, but in this case it is stupid, as they are losing sales to RAM... at least for the folks like me that need more capacity but don't care for a DRW...

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Hello John,

John From Detroit said:
One of the major safety issues in the USA today (likely world wide) is PickUp truck advertising.

Agreed, apparently the truck advertising folks seems to take the same approach that RV salesmen do: tell/show anything the client needs/wants to hear in order to close the sale, even if it's not true... :-/

That's why I would never make a buying decision based on "marketing" literature...

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Back
Top Bottom