Free fuel saver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Yesterday we pulled into a Flying J for our final fuel fill before we reach the Flying J closest to home. As we drive into the lane, I usually pop my head out the door (or walk around the other side) and let the driver know when the fuel fill iis in line with the hose. I mentally guestimate how much we need and visually check the gauge, although filling the tank is always a craps shoot for reasons we've discussed in the past. It was quite a surprise when, after careful filling to minimize foaming, and dribbling in the last few gallons, the fill topped out 15 gallons short of what I expected.

This left me scratching my head, and I decided to walk around the coach while Chris picked up the receipt inside. Mystery solved - the rear wheels of the coach were sitting on the speed bump in the lane. Given that the fuel tank is mounted east/west, this had the effect of tilting the tank towards the fill tube side of the tank. Added to the existing issue of getting the last 5-10 gallons into the tank, this was apparently enough to account for the discrepancy. As we drove away the fuel gauge confirmed the tank was a long way from full.

I'm either going to have to buy a 2-axis level to put at the helm, or pay more attention when we pull up to the pump.  :)

LOL Karl, yes I was, and that's the reason for the subject line of this topic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom