Best reasonably priced CB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

It appears my 9 month old all-in-one Cobra has already died. Will check on warranty but if I have to spend money not buying another. It was installed primarily for emergency and highway info use and very occasional coach to toad use in non-cell areas (also have FMRS for that).

I'm sure the Cobra is poor in many if not all performance areas; the one that bugged me the most was reception - signal filtering was awful. Unless I had the squelch almost all the way up most of the time, constant intermittent static breaking squelch. (Using single 36" Firestick NGP on RV side mount with about 18" above roofline, tuned with reasonable SWR.) Never tested radio for output, I'm sure that was poor also.

Suggestions on replacement radio?

Thx

There is so much radio frequency noise with CB's on the AM band now! I would go with a single side band CB. There are many brands and I believe the Road Ranger can be found at most Truck Stops. Some even have a CB shop Technician. I have been away from them to long. Used A Uniden PC-244 SSB and a Cobra 129 LTD AM. Liked the Uniden Better!  ;D ;D

Irover said:
There is so much radio frequency noise with CB's on the AM band now! I would go with a single side band CB.

True, but that was true 30 years ago also. I will definitely get a SSB next time around, but most of the time it'll be on channel 19 on AM just for monitoring so I'd like one that rejects as much noise as possible. The truck stop idea is a good one - I'm sure professional drivers won't tolerate a cheap radio.

This trucker supply outfit has about anything 12v you would want including CB's. 
http://www.roadtrucker.com/
I can't recommend it, but it was recommended to me by Pleasure Way rep.  Dick

I agree with Happy - SSB is good if you and the one you're talking to have it (though you'll still put up with noise, just have somewhat increased range), but it doesn't do you much good if the other person is on AM. The OP's original description sounded normal for AM at 26/27 MHz (AM isn't quite so bad in the 100 MHz plus range), which is CB's freq range. All manner of things will break the squelch, traffic lights, electric fences, transformers, etc., etc. Back when CB was new, as well as now, unless you're working someone near by you'd need to leave the squelch open and put up with the noise.

Did some research recently for a new CB, and now thinking to get the Galaxy DX959 .
40 channel AM and SSB, large S/RF meter with LED backlight for output, modulation, S-meter.
This CB has 5 digit frequency counter, variable talkbalk, noise filter for SSB, variable power.
Wide range of prices. Good reviews from users.  :D

Thanks. Re the SSB, I realize both sides have to have it, but I'm figuring for emergency/no cellular use perhaps I could find someone when without it I couldn't. Probably (hopefully) never come up.

:eek: I don't know about now but channel 37 on SSB used to be the alternative trucker channel.  8)

Oh by the way did you check the inline fuse or follow the positive lead to the source of power. Maybe a bad ground?? You could also stop by a CB shop who has a repair person!

Irover said:
:eek: I don't know about now but channel 37 on SSB used to be the alternative trucker channel.  8)

Oh by the way did you check the inline fuse or follow the positive lead to the source of power. Maybe a bad ground?? You could also stop by a CB shop who has a repair person!

I haven't had time to check anything but the light does come on in the display (bright then dim) when the unit is turned on so assume it has power. But other than backlight nothing else appears in display.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom