Jeep Wrangler battery disconnect question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stvaughn

The manual recommends disconnecting the battery. Is this going to delete all the radio/nav/other presets? Any suggestions?

Yes, it will.  At least the radio station settings (I'm not sure about nav, I don't have that).

Note that the manual is not "correct" in all cases.  If you do NOT have a steering wheel lock (many years do not), you do not need to have the key in the ignition nor turned to ACC.  This means that there is no reason to disconnect the battery.

For my 2010 JK with manual transmission and NO wheel lock; I simply connect the tow bar, put transfer case in neutral, put transmission in a gear (typically 3rd, no reason other than easy) and go.  Towed miles do not register on the odometer.

If you do NOT have a steering wheel lock (many years do not), you do not need to have the key in the ignition nor turned to ACC.  This means that there is no reason to disconnect the battery.

That used to be the case, but some of the newer vehicles have other reasons for requiring a battery disconnect. Even my old 2007 GMC Acadia required that power be removed to disable several computerized control functions, e.g. Stabil-Trak anti-skid system. Some new vehicles have electric rather than hydraulic power steering and that usually has to be disabled for towing as well.

I don't know that any of these apply to stvaugn's Wrangler, but he should be very cautious about ignoring the towing requirements.

On my 2016 Wrangler Unlimited the manual instructions to tow are to get the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park, there were no mention of pulling fuses or disconnecting the battery.

mspicer1234 said:
On my 2016 Wrangler Unlimited the manual instructions to tow are to get the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park, there were no mention of pulling fuses or disconnecting the battery.

Interesting, I checked the 2015 & 2014 online manuals. The 2015 is the same as yours, the 2014 manual states leave the key in ACC position and disconnect the negative battery cable. The 15/16 models must not have steering column locks.

I have a 2014, you do not leave key in, and no steering wheel lock.

Becks said:
I have a 2014, you do not leave key in, and no steering wheel lock.

Interesting, the online manual says leave key in ACC and disconnect battery. What does your print manual say.

mspicer1234 said:

X2

A steering wheel lock may not be used on all variants of the same year/model vehicle. The law requires anti-theft protection, but does not mandate a steering wheel lock, so vehicles that have some alternate anti-theft feature usually do NOT have steering wheel locks. Keys with an ignition chip are one example; factory security systems that disable the starter are another.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom