Trailer storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phillie14586

I have inherited a Rockwood Premier 1904 popup camper. My father-in-law always put it on blocks and stored the tires inside during the winter. Last winter I tried this and getting blocks under the axle with room for the jack was a pain. Can I support the trailer on the stabilizer jacks over the winter with the tires off?

Phillie14586 said:
I have inherited a Rockwood Premier 1904 popup camper. My father-in-law always put it on blocks and stored the tires inside during the winter. Last winter I tried this and getting blocks under the axle with room for the jack was a pain. Can I support the trailer on the stabilizer jacks over the winter with the tires off?

No - as the name implies, they are to stabilize the camper (to minimize shaking while using it), not to support the entire weight of the camper. I don't see any reason to remove the wheels/tires to store it over the winter. If you are worried about flat spots on the tires, just pump them up to the max PSI on the sidewall for the winter. If you are worried about UV rays or snow sitting against them, you can cover them. I do cover my tires in the winter but have never thought about removing them - what a pain!

Oh, and if you want to lower the stabilizer jacks for the winter, feel free. Be careful, though - 2 years ago I left mine down (for no other reason than I forgot) and one day mid-winter I noticed that a section of my driveway blacktop had sunk but the front stabilizers were still firmly on concrete causing the tongue jack to hang in the air (weight was on the stabilizers...oops). No damage, though.

I don't see a need for storing tires inside during the winter.  I know sun is hard on them but cold?

Thanks you for the replies. I live in western NY so depending on the winter sometimes we get a lot other times not so much. You did confirm my suspicion that the frame is not designed for the stabilizers to take the full weight of the trailer. I just keep seeing that it is bad to leave tires on anything that is store for long periods of time. The reference seems to always be about things being stored on concrete. Something about moisture and causing the tires to rot. If concrete is so bad why isn't gravel which is where I have this stored. I will leave the tires on this winter and see if I get yelled at by the family.

Back
Top Bottom