Really wacky problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I have an awesome audio/video system in my RV. 40 inch 4k TV and a 7.1 surround system. It works just fine except for one idiotic problem. I sit in a chair about five feet from the TV and about half the time when I get up out of my chair the sound on the TV goes silent for a second and then returns. Nothing else changes. No, I am not sitting on the remote. It is about two feet away from me. There is no logic to this stupid problem but it has been going on for a year at least.

I think the blood is rushing to your head blocking the sound waves through your ears.  :eek: ::) :-\ :'( ;D ;)

SeilerBird said:
I have an awesome audio/video system in my RV. 40 inch 4k TV and a 7.1 surround system. It works just fine except for one idiotic problem. I sit in a chair about five feet from the TV and about half the time when I get up out of my chair the sound on the TV goes silent for a second and then returns. Nothing else changes. No, I am not sitting on the remote. It is about two feet away from me. There is no logic to this stupid problem but it has been going on for a year at least.
My first questions would be;
  • Does it happen when someone else sits in that chair and then rises?
  • Has anyone else witnessed this sound interruption while you go through these motions?
  • Do you have wireless speakers?  (could your movements be interfering with them?)
My next question (and I'm serious here, because of your past history with a reported health concern);  Are you sure it's not just in your head?  Sometimes blood pressure and blood circulation can do a lot of strange things.
Hoping for the best and simplest answer.

Just Lou said:
My first questions would be;
  • Does it happen when someone else sits in that chair and then rises?
I don't get a lot of visitors and when people do come over they never sit in my chair with the stereo going.

• Has anyone else witnessed this sound interruption while you go through these motions?
No, I don't play my system when I have visitors because I am usually busy talking to them.
  • Do you have wireless speakers?  (could your movements be interfering with them?)
Nope no wireless speakers.
[/list]My next question (and I'm serious here, because of your past history with a reported health concern);  Are you sure it's not just in your head?  Sometimes blood pressure and blood circulation can do a lot of strange things.
Hoping for the best and simplest answer.
Nope it is not in my head. This has been going on too long. I am not doing any drugs so it not some drug illusion either. My blood pressure is just fine. It was 120 over 77 two days ago.

Move one of the speakers.  A foot is all that may be needed.  Or tilt or rotate one of the speakers a few inches.

Rare phenomema, at the exact place in the room where the sound disappears the two speakers cancel each other out.

dave54 said:
Move one of the speakers.  A foot is all that may be needed.  Or tilt or rotate one of the speakers a few inches.

Rare phenomena, at the exact place in the room where the sound disappears the two speakers cancel each other out.
I am not having a standing wave problem. I have been an audiophile for over 50 years and I would recognise it in a heartbeat. Moving a speaker is not possible. They are all bolted to the RV solidly. And besides that I have a 7.1 system so I have 8 speakers.

I think you need to remove that system and send it to me for testing. ;D

does the system have a microphone that automatically adjusts the surrond sound?  some do, disconnect it.

Dennis Jackson said:
does the system have a microphone that automatically adjusts the surround sound?  some do, disconnect it.
No, it doesn't. It comes with a microphone that can be used for balancing the speakers, but it is not plugged in. I adjust the surround speakers with a sound pressure meter app for my smart phone.

I just noticed today that it doesn't appear to have this problem when I am listening to a CD, only when I am watching TV.

Maybe a bad audio cable from the tv? Does it cut when moving around your coach?

kdbgoat said:
Maybe a bad audio cable from the tv? Does it cut when moving around your coach?
No it doesn't cut out at any other time and I recently replaced the HDMI cable with a very good one and it did not change the problem.

Do you have any fluorescent lights on?  Sometimes their ballast frequency is similar to the remote control code pulses, maybe when you get up you're reflecting some light into the TV's remote control sensor?

Is this over the air broadcast TV?  If so, when you stand up you may be rocking the motorhome just enough to move the antenna into a dead spot for a moment or two, killing the signal until it can re-lock.

Just a couple of shots in the dark.

when you stand up you may be rocking the motorhome just enough to move the antenna into a dead spot for a moment or two, killing the signal until it can re-lock.

Reminds me of when a couple of forum staffers joined me in our coach at a rally; When we all sat on the same side of the coach, I lost sat internet signal. We all moved to the other side of the coach, and signal was restored  ;D

Lou Schneider said:
Do you have any fluorescent lights on?  Sometimes their ballast frequency is similar to the remote control code pulses, maybe when you get up you're reflecting some light into the TV's remote control sensor?

Is this over the air broadcast TV?  If so, when you stand up you may be rocking the motorhome just enough to move the antenna into a dead spot for a moment or two, killing the signal until it can re-lock.

Just a couple of shots in the dark.
Nope no fluorescents lights at all. No LEDs either. I am having problems with my antenna lately, the wind blew it down and I moved it back inside the RV. Tomorrow I must reinstall it on the mast so I can get channel two. So the antenna has been in several different locations lately and the problem still exists in any antenna position. It is definitely going to be a shot in the dark that solves the problem.

Tom,
This sounds as perplexing as the 10 month long saga with my generator issue.
Best of luck.
Dianne

SeilerBird said:
Just get up those times it doesn't effect the tv.  ;D ::)
Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom