Really wacky problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I installed a cheap vizio soundbar in mine.  It has some auto adjusting volume function that puts out some screwy results. 
Sometimes when in "normal" mode the max volume level is too low.... but when we try the "auto" mode it gets screwy..... like the volume goes way down in quiet parts of a movie.... too soft to hear.... but then when louder parts of the soundtrack hit it blasts you out of the place.
I haven't completely wrapped my head around it yet....

Maybe your fancy set-up has something similar

blw2 said:
I installed a cheap vizio soundbar in mine.  It has some auto adjusting volume function that puts out some screwy results. 
Sometimes when in "normal" mode the max volume level is too low.... but when we try the "auto" mode it gets screwy..... like the volume goes way down in quiet parts of a movie.... too soft to hear.... but then when louder parts of the soundtrack hit it blasts you out of the place.
I haven't completely wrapped my head around it yet....

Maybe your fancy set-up has something similar
I have been through the settings several times looking for just such a thing but I never found one.

Here is a video of the problem. The volume cuts out three times in a row and this is not network TV, it is Hulu.

https://youtu.be/b1teAu6RVCw

I've gotta admit I don't really hear it for sure in that video.  I hear a bit of a pause maybe, but if it is there it's quick.....  Am I hearing the right thing?

Anyway, my money is on some sort of adaptive audio "feature" conflict.... similar to what i'm getting with my set-up

what brand model of tv is it?
you mentioned hulu.....connecting through any sort of cable or sat box, or a roku/appleTV type box?
are the speakers direct connect, or through a surround amp?

I looked up my issue as a point of reference.  Vizio is calling it TruVolume.
Here's a troubleshooting page....maybe food for thought...
https://support.vizio.com/s/article/Volume-Problems-Fluctuations

Yes you are hearing the right thing. It is an annoying pause of just a second. The TV is a Vizio 4k. It is hooked up directly to the Internet through my Wifi network. The speakers are connected directly to the receiver.

I went to the link and it tells me to go to Audio then Advanced Audio and there is no Advanced Audio on my menu. It tells me to look for SRS TruVolume and there is no SRS TruVolume and turn it off. There is a DTS TruVolume and it is already set to off.

hmmm... a real head scratcher then.
Very interesting that it's a Vizio.  They seem to have some issue's with their feature filled audio controllers......  features I wish I did not have.  Bet you feel the same!

blw2 said:
hmmm... a real head scratcher then.
Very interesting that it's a Vizio.  They seem to have some issue's with their feature filled audio controllers......  features I wish I did not have.  Bet you feel the same!
Not really. Audio and video equipment has gotten extremely complicated lately. I am an early adapter and we always have to sort out the bugs with the first releases of anything. So I am used to it. The only reason I am interested is because it is such a bizarre problem. I stand up and the volume drops out. There is no connection between the chair and the Tv or the surround system. Nothing else happens, no lights go off and the picture doesn't change. It is just driving me nuts that I can't figure it out. There has to be a logical explanation is why I posted it here. Where is Ned when you need him? I am surprised Gary doesn't have an answer, I thought he knew everything. :)

Well, a wild thought, Tom -- does it matter how fast you stand up? Try it in slow motion, for example. Or get part way up and stop. See if it still does it that way. I'm still partial to the standing wave idea. Or maybe you could temporarily place something in front of one or more speakers to divert/partially block the sound, or (if your eqpt allows) adjust the audio balance (L/R F/B bass/mid/treble). Also, to expand on Lou's idea, is there something that may reflect IR off of you to something on your amp? Does the overall volume level have an effect on the results?

I know I'm reaching, but...

Larry N. said:
Well, a wild thought, Tom -- does it matter how fast you stand up? Try it in slow motion, for example. Or get part way up and stop. See if it still does it that way. I'm still partial to the standing wave idea. Or maybe you could temporarily place something in front of one or more speakers to divert/partially block the sound, or (if your eqpt allows) adjust the audio balance (L/R F/B bass/mid/treble). Also, to expand on Lou's idea, is there something that may reflect IR off of you to something on your amp? Does the overall volume level have an effect on the results?

I know I'm reaching, but...
Thank you for reaching Larry. It is going to take thinking outside the box because normal thoughts do not solve the problem. I tried standing up at different speeds and it didn't change things, in slow motion it didn't really change much. I got up part way and stopped and it still cut out. I am positive it is not a standing wave. Standing waves generally only affect bass frequencies.  I can't block my speakers since they are mounted on the ceiling. I can't see what could be reflecting the IR and the overall volume doesn't seem to have any effect.

Regarding Blood pressure. There is something called Posturial Hypotension.. I've got a mild version, I've seen far more serious versions. (Short story follows) and with this you can test normal at the doctor's or most any other time UNLESS they test you just after you go from like lying down (or sitting) to standing.. Then you will test low (Hypo means low).

The story
Standing holding hands during one prayer in church, suddenly the Alto to my left changed her grip on my hand.. I dropped my wife's hand and turned just in time to catch her as she fell.  Helped her back to her seat, confirmed the problem and she was OK. but her poor brand new husband was a mess.  Thankfully I'd been trained to play catch in that manner... Quite by design (Job related training).

But it is a problem, this is why someone ask if it only happens if you stand suddenly.

Short of a loose connection in the sound system, which I doubt from the systems but can not rule out.. I have not other clue.

Have you tried doing a firmware update on the TV and surround receiver? I had audio problems with my Sony receiver and the firmware update corrected the issue and even added a few functions in the menu.

falconhunter said:
Have you tried doing a firmware update on the TV and surround receiver? I had audio problems with my Sony receiver and the firmware update corrected the issue and even added a few functions in the menu.
Both have automatic updates and have been updated recently.

Is your smartphone in your pocket when this happens? Thinking it could be like accidentally setting off the car alarm when you move the wrong way with your keys in your pocket.

tstumpf said:
Is your smartphone in your pocket when this happens? Thinking it could be like accidentally setting off the car alarm when you move the wrong way with your keys in your pocket.
I have a cargo pants pocket that is dedicated to my smart phone and I never put anything in the pocket with it. Too much chance of getting the phone scratched. Anyway my phone is sitting in a Home and Office Organizer that I keep next to my chair. It has slots to keep my remote controls and my inhalers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FGCHII8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway there is no connection between the phone and the surround system. I have already thought about that since in the 60s we had one of the first remote controlled TVs on the market and it worked by ultrasonic frequencies and not IR. My dad could change the channels on the TV by rattling his keys. He delighted in walking into the room and rattling his keys and then walking out leaving us to scramble to get Tv back to what we were watching.

Do you wear hearing aids? Had a discussion  just last night with some folks that were talking about the advancements in hearing aid technology, and some of the issues they've had.

Possibly the hearing aids malfunction and not the audio system?

Back
Top Bottom