Recommendations for "Must See" Stuff in Branson?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spacenorman

I've been piecing together plans for our return trip from Phoenix back to Detroit. It's looking like we're going to be spending 3-4 days in Branson, MO in during the first week of November. We've got the "outdoorsy" stuff covered - but were thinking that if the weather turns cool, maybe we'd spend a day wandering around the city itself ... maybe catch a show?

Anybody have any recommendations for things they'd consider a "must see" if you've got a day or so in Branson?  Any favorite shows / theaters?

Last year, we stayed at Treasure Island CG through C to C. This year, we stayed at Port of Kimberling Marina and Resort. Dixie Stampede is a good show and dinner. You eat with your fingers there. There is no silverware. Six is another good show. 

Not sure if they're still there as we were there 3 years ago, but the Hughes (or Hayes?) family has a theatre there, and the show was called, "It". It's a huge family of 4 or 5 brothers and their families who are multi-talented. (Think Osmonds - sort of). The show was excellent. I'd highly recommend it if it's still running.

We found the smaller shows and dinner-shows to be more enjoyable than the big time affairs, and a whole lot cheaper too. I guess we like a more personal experience than the big show razmatazz, though those too are impressive in their own way. The smaller restaurants hire up-and-coming musicians who are striving hard to please and usually interact well with their audience, and the smaller theaters and family shows are also usually more audience friendly. Perhaps bantering with the audience, or inviting somebody up on stage to participate in act somehow.  Seating closer to the performers as well.

We did the Shoji Tabuchi show and it was a spectacle we enjoyed, but we had much more fun at a local restaurant that had an unknown singer that played guitar and keyboard, and a no-name family performance in a small theater off the main street. We didn't catch much of the big name shows because they were all heavily booked and over-priced for mediocre seats. We like it more up close and personal.

It's been several years now since we've been there, so I won't try to name any specific venues. There is lots of info available locally when you get there, in brochures, streetside info booths, Chamber of Commerce, etc. Just look around.

Make sure you KNOW that the "Big Name Performer" who you expect to see is actually going to perform on the date and show for which you are purchasing the tickets. They all take time off and other entertainers fill in for them. If you don't ask, they often won't tell you, especially if you are buying a ticket in the parking lot.

Since they usually can't fill the seats without the "Name" being there, they sometimes hawk discount tickets in the parking lot which must be used for the next show. While the ticket is good, you may not see the performer you want.

spacenorman said:
I've been piecing together plans for our return trip from Phoenix back to Detroit. It's looking like we're going to be spending 3-4 days in Branson, MO in during the first week of November. We've got the "outdoorsy" stuff covered - but were thinking that if the weather turns cool, maybe we'd spend a day wandering around the city itself ... maybe catch a show?

Anybody have any recommendations for things they'd consider a "must see" if you've got a day or so in Branson?  Any favorite shows / theaters?
If your "outdoorsy" stuff does not include a visit to Silver Dollar City, it should, even if it turns off cool.

Look me up.

I'll be there November 4th weekend. We stay at Cooper Creek Campground, we'll be in spot #4, already got it booked. Cooper Creek is a great campground. (417) 334-4871. We go to Branson about 3 times a year for 4-5 day long weekends.

There's some good outlet stores/mall in Branson. We always go to the Coleman Store, usually wind up spending a couple hundred dollars.:)

I can give you the .50 tour.

spacenorman said:

My son is the production manager at one of the theaters in Branson and we live 30 miles away so we get to see quite a few shows.  For the time you mention you can see the Oak Ridge Boys at the Mansion Theater; Moses at the Sight and Sound Theater, Neal McCoy at the Mansion; Charlie Daniels at the Mansion; Reza the Illusionist, The Blackwoods, Buckets and Boards and Texas Tenors all at the Starllight,  Also check the Branson Tourism Center on line for a whole listing of shows and prices.  Silver Dollar City also has a great Christmas display starting in November or you may like cruising on the Showboat Branson Belle on Table Rock Lake.

Hope you enjoy your visit.  Branson is a very family friendly town year round.

John Stephens said:
Depending on your taste for particular genres of shows, Six may be considered one of the best shows in town.
There is a story that goes with Six.  One of them was convicted of tax fraud so I hear they have a replacement to keep it at six. LOL

Quillback 424 said:
Make sure you KNOW that the "Big Name Performer" who you expect to see is actually going to perform on the date and show for which you are purchasing the tickets. They all take time off and other entertainers fill in for them. If you don't ask, they often won't tell you, especially if you are buying a ticket in the parking lot.

Since they usually can't fill the seats without the "Name" being there, they sometimes hawk discount tickets in the parking lot which must be used for the next show. While the ticket is good, you may not see the performer you want.
I am quite familiar with Branson and what you are stating is pure BS.  Sorry but if you had that kind of experience it was somebody pulling the wool over your eyes.  If they advertise a show, that show will go on or you will be refunded.  Never heard of the nonsense you talk about.

Bill N said:
I am quite familiar with Branson and what you are stating is pure BS.  Sorry but if you had that kind of experience it was somebody pulling the wool over your eyes.  If they advertise a show, that show will go on or you will be refunded.  Never heard of the nonsense you talk about.

It appears you are not as familiar as you would like others to believe.

Dance Chick said:
Not sure if they're still there as we were there 3 years ago, but the Hughes (or Hayes?) family has a theatre there, and the show was called, "It". It's a huge family of 4 or 5 brothers and their families who are multi-talented. (Think Osmonds - sort of). The show was excellent. I'd highly recommend it if it's still running.

The Hughes Brothers show is still going strong and they own their own theater.  They do have a couple of other shows that also use the theater but the family show titled "It" is an absolute winner with darn near everything being done by the family including the popcorn and souvenirs.  Over 30 family members from cradle to older adults comprise the show and it is one of the best we have seen in Branson.  Don't miss their Christmas show if you are in town for that.

malexander said:
Look me up.

I'll be there November 4th weekend. We stay at Cooper Creek Campground ....  I can give you the .50 tour.

I make take you up on that!  We've got reservations at the Table Rock State Park ... which looks to be just a couple of miles south/southwest of the city.  Like most of our trips - I end up doing most of my planning based on what I can find on the internet.   

We visited Table Rock Lake 20+ years ago with the kids but stayed at a campground somewhere on the other end of the lake with a larger group.  Never visited the town of Branson proper.  We're going to be arriving sometime on Thursday afternoon (11/3) and leaving on Monday (11/7) so we'll have three whole in the middle to see the sights.  I'm going to have to do a little web wandering to learn more about what shows are running that weekend.  When I Googled it initially - I was surprised when a few dozen options popped up!  I'm going to have to take a harder look at that! 

Don't be surprised if a fat, "bubba looking" fella happens to wander over and introduces himself as Spacenorman when you're there!

Thanks!

Quillback 424 said:
It appears you are not as familiar as you would like others to believe.
If you believe what you posted is true or can prove it I will be able to show you that you were scammed.  No Branson shows sell tickets in the parking lot and, for sure, no shows with big name entertainers do it.  Entertainers are booked on contracts to appear on certain dates at certain times.  They either appear when scheduled or if the show is cancelled for illness, refunds are issued.  I have seen probably most of the shows there since I live very close and NEVER have I seen what you describe.  I hate to think that a post like yours would get even passing attention from someone who would like to go to Branson.  Yes, I am very familiar with Branson and would like to know your familiarity with that town.

Bill N said:
My son is the production manager at one of the theaters in Branson and we live 30 miles away so we get to see quite a few shows.

It is obvious that you are personally, emotionally and financially invested in the success of Branson theater. I am not.

I have simply advised folks who are locally purchasing a ticket for the next show to ask if the name performer will be performing in that show. Evidently, you don't believe they should.

I see nothing further to discuss, so I won't.

We spend a week in the spring and again in the fall in Branson every year and stay at Cooper Creek Campground which we really like. It feels like you are out in the woods but 5 minutes later you are in town. There are lots of good shows depending on your taste in music. Big productions like Moses are fantastic and the lights after Nov. 1 are beautiful at Silver Dollar City. We will also be there the first week on November.

Quillback 424 said:
It is obvious that you are personally, emotionally and financially invested in the success of Branson theater. I am not.

I have simply advised folks who are locally purchasing a ticket for the next show to ask if the name performer will be performing in that show. Evidently, you don't believe they should.

I see nothing further to discuss, so I won't.

I have zero financial or emotional interest but I hate to see a pack of lies spread about a town that offers a totally family friendly opportunity for enjoyment.  My son has only worked there for less than six months but I have lived close by for almost 10 years so you can forget the idea that I have some sort of bias because of his employment.
But what you are charging is very serious and I would like to have you explain in some detail what you are charging or have anyone else that has had that same nonsense pulled on them.  If you trully bought tickets in a parking lot you were scammed just as good as buying Super Bowl tickets in a parking lot.
I honestly would like to have you list dates and places where you were supposedly wronged in the fashion you describe.  I sure it can be easily checked out.  I once had tickets for a Mickey Gilley show and was called a month before the show and told that Mickey was no longer performing and that my money would be refunded or I could book another show at a reduced price.  This did not happen in a parking lot.

I emphasize - Branson is a decent place to take your family without fear of the shenanigans you have described. If you were scammed take it to the local police.

Back
Top Bottom