Camera recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
My Sony Cybershot DSC-H3 (what I like to call an "advanced" point and shoot) is reaching the end of its useful service life.  I've had it since Christmas 2007? (maybe 2008) and have taken thousands upon thousands of great family & travel photos with it.  The flash just quit working the other day, and AFAIK it's not worth paying to have it repaired.  I'd been thinking about a replacement camera for the last couple years anyway, but never had a reason (until now) to replace since the Sony was doing it's job.

As much as I appreciate the options and abilities of a quality digital SLR camera, they are just too big to carry around conveniently.  Some years back I was intrigued by the Olympus Pen E-PL1, and specifically a commercial (that I found here on Youtube) that was shot using that actual camera.  Clever! 

The E-PL1 is a point-n-shoot that has the option of interchangeable lenses, although I don't know what kind of compatibility it has with different aftermarket brands (of lenses).  And, the E-PL1 probably isn't made any more but Olympus might have a newer version... not sure.  The models run from PL1 up to PL7, some with additional lense packages (per Amazon), in the $300-400 range.

I'm not stuck on Olympus or anything, but I like what the PEN series has to offer.  Any other recommendations are much appreciates, from all of you photo experts.  :)

My recommendation is to get a cell phone with a great camera. S7, iPhone 7, V20 or something like that. There are so many advantages to using a cell phone for your camera. First off it is always with you. They come with a host of features traditional cameras do not have. Voice control. I can take a photo by saying "Cheese". Taking a selfie is a lot easier with a cell phone camera. All my photos get automatically uploaded to the cloud, which means you never have to worry about losing a photo. You don't even need an SD chip. I can upload any photo to Facebook right from the camera. I can email a photo right from the camera to anyone. I can edit the photo in the camera. I can run Photoshop or Lightroom in the camera. If you think cell phone cameras are not as good as bigger cameras then check out my photos from last year. Almost all of them were taken by a cell phone:

https://goo.gl/photos/XafehbCAzjK835gn8

If you want to stay with a p&s and also would like some ruggedness and waterproofness (is that a word?) the Olympus Tough series can't be beat. I have the TG-3, and the TG-4 is the latest version that includes RAW format for pictures (as well as Jpg of course). I couldn't be happier with my TG-3 and a friend recently got the TG-4 and he loves it.

While cell phone cameras have definitely come a long way, I'm not ready to make that my primary photo device.  Those phones you mentioned are in the $500-600 range which is crazy to me.  I like a decent open lens with good optical zoom capability.

Hammster I'll check out the TG series... Some ruggedness would be fine although I'm not too hard on my electronics most of the time.  At least not on purpose. ;)

I used to be a hobbyist back in the SLR film days
Then went for years taking pictures of my kids with just iphone/cell phones
but I missed the control-ability and I really missed the reach of a long lens.

so about 4 years ago I bought myself a birthday  present, in a Nikon Coolpix P510.  The 42x optical zoom still amazes me sometimes.  I'm sure this is an obsolete model now, replaced with something btter and faster, but throwing it out as something to consider.... It's a good compromise if you don't want a full interchangable lens SLR

The super-zoom cameras, such as Brad described, are amazing. I bought the Canon SX 20 is (20X optical zoom) several years ago, and walk around with it comfortably in one hand, and have rarely used by DSLR since. Our son recently got the newer Canon SX 60 HS (65X optical zoom); Quite an upgrade from mine.

But, these super-zooms come with a price.

scottydl said:
Hammster I'll check out the TG series... Some ruggedness would be fine although I'm not too hard on my electronics most of the time.  At least not on purpose. ;)

Yeah, it's the "not on purpose" part that is so great about the TG series. I accidentally dropped mine on an asphalt parking lot and it didn't even get a scratch. Also, took it rafting in class 4+ rapids, got banged around a little by the paddle and it didn't even blink.

Back
Top Bottom