Painting Walls and Wallpaper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adell

Searched forum for paint and painting but nothing came up.  Am I using the search right?

Anyway, the previous owners apparently didn't know how to clean and keep clean the black tank and instead tried to cover up odor with perfumey chemicals.  This chemical odor has permanently permeated the walls, door and cabinets of the bathroom.

Does anybody know if paint will cover up the odor?  I was thinking maybe an oil based primer first?  And how best to paint over the wallpaper?

And while I'm at it, how to get the sticky stuff off that was behind the wallpaper border?

Any and all advice very much appreciated!    :D

Your poor result in searching may depend on the search method you used. The search box on the top right hand side only searches the forum you currently have open. To search all the forums, use the search item in the menu line at the top of the page. The forum on Remodeling may have some better info too.

I started mine with glidden gripper, that was very labor intensive, I switched to kilz spray cans and was able to cover more area in 1/10th of the time or better, overall painting, which I really hate, was a pain, a lot of cutting in.  I then used the behr paint with primer and only have one small spot that the paint keeps wanting to come off, very small spot.  Be sure to get some mineral spirits and clean very good before putting any paint on it.
I originally started by cleaning with the spirits and then lightly sanding and then cleaning again, I then tested a small portion behind the couch and just cleaned and sprayed, there is no difference in how good the paint sticks, at least for me.
I had a horrible odor because the blade on the toilet was stuck open for who knows how long, it took some time to get it all to go away but now its 95%, I did remove all the carpet and replace with laminet as well as paint the cabinets and recover all the stuff that was fabric.
If I stick my nose against some of the vinyl, like the dash board I can still faintly smell the original odor but every day it dissipates more and more.

I can't imagine the PO sloshing around enough tank chemical cover-up to permeate the walls, but I've learned to not be surprised at anything concerning RVs and their owners!

You can try prepping with a sealer such as Kilz or Zinzer, probably the oil-based version. Those are the leading product brands for sealing, as opposed to just priming the surface for paint adhesion. However, I'm not optimistic that odors will be blocked for very long.

If the smell is really in the walls, what about floors, ceiling , etc as well?

I replaced the floor in mine, the ceiling I cleaned with a bleach/water solution.
BTW Gary I'm up in Asheville, seems my daughter did something to her car so we are picking it up and swapping, trailer info back to Fort Mill

Gary RV Roamer:  I can't imagine the black tank being 1/3 full of dried solids but it sure was.  Some people!

We removed the bathroom closet. On the vinyl floor inside where the closet was are blue rings which I can only deduce are from some kind of black tank additive.  We are having the vinyl floor replaced so that will take care of that source but you are right, the odor is in everything.  I took the door, pieces of wall and other things we dismembered into the garage and that's when I noticed the smell had permeated them too.

I sprayed everything with airzyme but that didn't work.

I can see now why they only used the camper 3 times.  The didn't understand the blank tank.

I'm wondering now if she didn't spray some kind of perfume all over everything in there.  It sure is soaked into the walls, doors, everything.

JoeFatz: Did you wear a mask or anything when cleaning with mineral spirits?  Not sure my chemical sensitivities would tolerate cleaning walls with it.  I don't mind painting, cutting in, etc.  In fact I find it soothing to spend a leisurely day painting so long as I'm not rushed.

Alfa38User: Thanks for that tip.  I'll check out the remodeling area.

I didn't wear any gloves or anything, I've been around this stuff for so many years I almost think I could use it as sun tan lotion

adell said:
And while I'm at it, how to get the sticky stuff off that was behind the wallpaper border?

Any and all advice very much appreciated!    :D

Try "Oops" or "Goof-off" also available @ Home Depot both work well on all typs of glues.

Keith

so my parts arrived the other day and I was able to pull my toilet and replace the gasket and the blade seal, when I got down on the floor to unbolt the toilet I notice "THAT ODOR" coming from under the pedal. pulled it off the base, finished the floor underneath and got the toilet working great, no longer sticks open, lots of um, a, crap on the blade and seal. I assume it was leaking from the area that appears damaged in the picture, I do know one thing, there is no odor coming from the toilet.
Purchased the blade seal, it came with the floor gasket  (didnt know that when I bought it so I have a spare)

Attachments

• IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom